dealer can't fix manifold bolts - send it to machine shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Hi All,

I took my Ram 1500 2013 v8 67k miles to the dealer to fix the exhaust leak, which they already fixed 2 years ago... (replaced bolts), and this time truck was at the shop 4 days, and they called me Friday saying that they "couldn't get the manifold bolts out, and had sent top part of the engine to the machine shop, so that machine shop can take out the broken bolt". I think the rep said that they send the "overhead cam" to machine shop, but i could be mistaken... They said truck should be ready in a few days.

Anyway - i know that this issue with broken manifold bolts on Hemi is very very common, and i'm sure that the dealer sees such issues all the time.
I'm surprised that they were unable to take the broken bolts out by themselves.

Did anyone heard this before that dealer wasn't able to take out broken bolts and had to send part of the engine to the machine shop to have them take it out!????

Any thoughts / comments please. Thank You!

gmbohuntr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Eh...I'd probably rather have a machine shop drill them out, than a tech who's not familiar with the process. Easy way to screw a head up....I'd be annoyed at the lost time, but wouldn't sweat the shop working on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

gmbohuntr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'd probably be curious as to why they broke the bolts in the first place. Lack of anti-seize? Over-torqued?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
The bolt(S) were already broken, it's a common issue with manifold bolts on hemi, they break and cause exhaust leaks. I've already had these bolts replaced once by this same dealership couple years ago.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd feel better having the machine shop do it, we've had people actually ruin their heads by overheating and hardening the broke off bolts or studs. By the time they bring the heads in they're toast, can't be drilled out. Some people think a tourch will fix anything.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since they've allready got the heads off you might ask them to take a gander at you're cam and lifters to make sure they're still doing good..

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Since they've allready got the heads off you might ask them to take a gander at you're cam and lifters to make sure they're still doing good..

Thank you, good idea!

They had replaced rocker arm assembly and one lifter couple years ago already, so I'd love to know how the rest of them look right now...

But I don't have confidence that they'll actually inspect them or will want to replace or repair them if they still work... They'd probably just close it up to get rid of me and send me on my way.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you, good idea!

They had replaced rocker arm assembly and one lifter couple years ago already, so I'd love to know how the rest of them look right now...

But I don't have confidence that they'll actually inspect them or will want to replace or repair them if they still work... They'd probably just close it up to get rid of me and send me on my way.
What kind of warranty do you have? If you're warranty is about to expire you're probably right, they won't look at anything else. If you have lifetime warranty you might be able to convince them. Also depends on you're dealership, some are more pleasant to work with than others.

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Truck has 67k miles on it, and I only have the regular 100k powertrain warranty left on it, which does cover this manifold bolts work.

I'll try to ask the service representative regarding it, but I'm not sure how long he wants to keep my truck in their shop. I think he'd be happy to get rid of me asap...

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also why alot of people put shorty headers on.
It'd be great if you could get dealer to install shorty's since they already have manifolds loose. I'm almost positive that they wouldn't go along with that one though.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
If nothing else everything is freshly installed so it would come back apart easy. good time to install a set..lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
But installing those will probably void the powertrain warranty. If something else breaks later, they'll use it as an excuse to not fix it.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But installing those will probably void the powertrain warranty. If something else breaks later, they'll use it as an excuse to not fix it.
I was just gonna ask about that, also are shorty's a direct replacement or do you have to make other mods to go with them and do you aspestos wrap them or just install the bare headers?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I was just gonna ask about that, also are shorty's a direct replacement or do you have to make other mods to go with them and do you aspestos wrap them or just install the bare headers?

I had BBK installed and my installer said they were very difficult to install. I think the quote was “they fit like ****!” Paid an arm and a leg to get them installed. If you do them find a place that will install at flat rate so you don’t get tagged with extra hours like I did.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
From what I have read good shorties fit fine and are a direct bolt in.
BBK headers dont fit well from what I have read.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After its out of warranty I might consider headers. I think it was either Burla or RLK was the one that said the reason the studs break is because the exhaust manifolds warp. I put a Carven muffler on mine hopefully to increase flow and reduce heat just a bit. We'll see how that works.