To the dealer I go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While changing my oil today I noticed this in my oil tray. This is on a 15 1500 with the 5.7 with 15k miles. Whatever it is, it's brass and looks to be round, just broke into pieces.
26338048df6cec9d1690829301e32dd5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would take it to the dealership and show them the pieces. Looks like it could be part of the timing chain assembly. Can't really tell for sure. My friend got a recall on his hemi for timing chain could fail. Just to be in the safe side I would have it looked at.

OP
OP
Csanders1992

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would take it to the dealership and show them the pieces. Looks like it could be part of the timing chain assembly. Can't really tell for sure. My friend got a recall on his hemi for timing chain could fail. Just to be in the safe side I would have it looked at.

It is there now. Likely won't know anything until early next week though. I'm not taking any chances by driving it

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hear you and maybe they will get to look at it quicker than that.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of the many reasons I'll never buy a new car. Too many things go wrong with them the 1st 30k miles

Sent from the fetal position using Tapatalk

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
One of the many reasons I'll never buy a new car. Too many things go wrong with them the 1st 30k miles

interesting thought process I must say. My thinking goes kind of like this, I purchase new so that I have warranty as opposed to purchasing something with 60,001 miles and then you guessed it it takes a dump and cha ching:favorites13:

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
interesting thought process I must say. My thinking goes kind of like this, I purchase new so that I have warranty as opposed to purchasing something with 60,001 miles and then you guessed it it takes a dump and cha ching:favorites13:

True. But also there isn't a huge depreciation buying used.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
True. But also there isn't a huge depreciation buying used.

So, you're mixing problems that can go wrong and finances.... hmmmm. I'm having a hard time following the logic. Not buying a new vehicle because of the problems that can occur? There are warranties for this. And, the problems are going to happen whether you own the vehicle or you buy it from the guy that had the problems fixed under warranty. By this logic you're hoping your kids would be born at 18 years old so they don't need parenting.

As for the new vs. used financial question? I can't imagine embarking in that debate given the previous.... best of luck.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Simple economics. Consider the depreciation you pay buying new as the cost-of-opportunity to have a warrantee, starting with a clean slate, and a known vehicle history. depreciation is not just money lost into a void, it's buying you something. Only thing is, some vehicles charge more for its virginity than others.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My mom and brother both bought new vehicles. Recalls happen and things break. They take it to the dealer and then they are out of a car from anywhere from 1-2 days. My brother had to wait a couple weeks once while a part on backorder came in. And they couldn't give a rental for whatever reason.

The warranty covers the part. But not the hassle of having to keep on going back to the dealer every few months.

I bought my truck used and I haven't had a single issue with it. Up until now with a sensor, but that's a quick easy fix.
While as my mom/brother have had to take there cars back a whole bunch.left stranded on the side of the road.
My brother ends up trading in his truck for a used car and hasn't had a single issue with it.
And by parenting, I'm going to adopt. So they won't be 18, but in the 3-4 year age range.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
OP, seems this thread has been hijacked.
Please, report back what the dealer states.
Am very interested to see what part could possibly be the culprit.

thank you for you original post, btw.
sorry to hear it happened to you but glad to know it did happen and to be wary of it.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
OP, seems this thread has been hijacked.
Please, report back what the dealer states.
Am very interested to see what part could possibly be the culprit.

thank you for you original post, btw.
sorry to hear it happened to you but glad to know it did happen and to be wary of it.

Agreed.
It is there now. Likely won't know anything until early next week though. I'm not taking any chances by driving it

Aren't you in the Greenville, SC area? (Or was it Evansville, IN?)
Which dealer are you taking it to? I am curious about your experience.
(I'm still trying to decide on one)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Csanders1992

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agreed.

Aren't you in the Greenville, SC area? (Or was it Evansville, IN?)
Which dealer are you taking it to? I am curious about your experience.
(I'm still trying to decide on one)

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I am in Evansville. It's at Expressway where I bought it. My girlfriends cousin is the sales manager so we usually get pretty good service when he gets brought into it.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Yeah, it looks like a brass bushing that came apart. Rocker bushing? Please keep us posted! Great catch! Hopefully there's enough left that no major damage was done!

This is one thing that scares me about some of the extended oil change intervals I see some guys running. I'm a huge fan of 3k oil changes. I like taking a look at what's in the crankcase and I've never hurt an engine by changing the oil too much. Peace of mind thing for me I guess.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's for sure that's why I'm glad that I bought the extended warranty when I bought my truck

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Yeah, it looks like a brass bushing that came apart. Rocker bushing? Please keep us posted! Great catch! Hopefully there's enough left that no major damage was done!

This is one thing that scares me about some of the extended oil change intervals I see some guys running. I'm a huge fan of 3k oil changes. I like taking a look at what's in the crankcase and I've never hurt an engine by changing the oil too much. Peace of mind thing for me I guess.

Crap crap crap!

I just got out of teh 3K mile changes, Everyone swears I am wasting oil, just decided to go to 5K oil changes and now this.

Just switched over to synthetics for this truck too.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Knowing how FCA warranty logic works, something tells me there is a good chance they will do nothing other than document your concern. They really never like to do oil analysis until after the fact of failure and not before.

OP
OP
Csanders1992

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Knowing how FCA warranty logic works, something tells me there is a good chance they will do nothing other than document your concern. They really never like to do oil analysis until after the fact of failure and not before.

They told me it was perfectly fine to drive because the check engine light wasn't on! My guess is they will do nothing but an oil change. Which I literally just did so they likely won't find anything.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
They told me it was perfectly fine to drive because the check engine light wasn't on! My guess is they will do nothing but an oil change. Which I literally just did so they likely won't find anything.

They did that with Dad's '08 CTD. The clutch was making a funny noise at 2500 miles, they wouldn't look at it. The flywheel separated and cut the bell housing in half. They turned a $500 fix into a $4000 fix just by not wanting to look at it. If they don't do anything either unload it if you can afford it or drive it like you stole to to make it fail. Those are your options. You baby it and it might live long enough to get out of warranty on you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio