To the dealer I go

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Csanders1992

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They did that with Dad's '08 CTD. The clutch was making a funny noise at 2500 miles, they wouldn't look at it. The flywheel separated and cut the bell housing in half. They turned a $500 fix into a $4000 fix just by not wanting to look at it. If they don't do anything either unload it if you can afford it or drive it like you stole to to make it fail. Those are your options. You baby it and it might live long enough to get out of warranty on you.

I'll continue to drive it, because whether it fails now or 20k miles from now it's still on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marine6212

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They told me it was perfectly fine to drive because the check engine light wasn't on! My guess is they will do nothing but an oil change. Which I literally just did so they likely won't find anything.

That's the problem with technicians! The don't know how to troubleshoot!

You need to find a mechanic!

I had a '11 Silverado and took it in for a hard shifting transmission several times, they said it was normal and at 50,000 miles trans went out. They replaced under warranty.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
I'll continue to drive it, because whether it fails now or 20k miles from now it's still on them.

That still sucks because when it fails you'll be down a vehicle. Even if you get a loaner doubtful it'll be a truck.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Crap crap crap!

I just got out of teh 3K mile changes, Everyone swears I am wasting oil, just decided to go to 5K oil changes and now this.

Just switched over to synthetics for this truck too.

Eh, i dump out mobil 1 every 3-3500. It drains the same. While the oil might still pass tests at longer intervals I just don't like going that far without seeing what's in the bottom of the pan.

OP
OP
Csanders1992

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer called a little bit ago. They had several technicians look at the pieces and none of them knew what it was and don't believe it came from the engine. They dropped the pan and didn't find anything (to be expected). They said come pick it up.
Basically I just waisted 7 quarts of mobile 1 full synthetic lol. I hope nothing else comes from this, but time will tell

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That's the problem with technicians! The don't know how to troubleshoot!

You need to find a mechanic!

I had a '11 Silverado and took it in for a hard shifting transmission several times, they said it was normal and at 50,000 miles trans went out. They replaced under warranty.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That's not exactly true. When it comes to the world of warranty repairs, the techs hands are often tied as what to do. Chrysler limits what we can do for diag, and will only pay for so much.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Dealer called a little bit ago. They had several technicians look at the pieces and none of them knew what it was and don't believe it came from the engine. They dropped the pan and didn't find anything (to be expected). They said come pick it up.
Basically I just waisted 7 quarts of mobile 1 full synthetic lol. I hope nothing else comes from this, but time will tell

That response is unacceptable.... They don't think it came from the engine when it was in the oil pan????? Wth... Typical dealer brush off.
Sorry bud.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not surprised.
Had a coworker who worked at a Dodge dealership. The things he would tell me...

Sent from the fetal position using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I were you I'd contact www.blackstonelabs , get an oil sample kit sent to you perform the sample and send it back to them for analysis.
They will give you the results of all Qty of wear metals in the oil and give you likely suggestions of what may be starting to fail .

This way at least you would know more of the health of your engine .
If the oil sample results are alarming , take the results back to your dealer and see what they say .
Keep good notes on this situation for a possible future engine warranty claim .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anytime brother , Hope this helps !

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you live near a Caterpillar dealership ask them if they have a oil lab to send in an oil sample. Only cost $11 for one at my store but since I work there it's always free. Just an option for you as well. They'll mail you your reports back to you and email as well if you want.