Dealer Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Went to the dealer today to get the oil changed on my 2015 V6 1500. This was my first time having the dealer change the oil but I had a coupon so I figured I would give it a shot. They advertised Conventional Oil Change 19.99 (up to 5 quarts, truck holds 6). 21.99 for Semi Synthetic, and 69.99 for Full Synthetic. I was going to opt for the Conventional because; 1) I'm cheap and 2) I've never had an issue running standard oil in an engine.

I was told by the service advisor that they don't even offer conventional oil changes anymore, and that they had moved to Semi Synthetic or Full Synthetic. I know this board is very much pro synthetic oil, but are there any of you that run Semi Synthetic? Any pros or cons to either. Ended up getting the oil changed and the recall performed for 26.00, which I thought was a good deal. All the express lube places around me charge nearly 45.00 for a conventional oil change, especially when they realize I have the cartridge oil filter. All in all it was a good experience, was in and out in a little over an hour (which seems like forever when you have 3 kids in tow, school can't start back fast enough).

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My question would be why put out a coupon for a product that is not offered? They should have given you the semi for the price of the conventional.

I have never used synthetic and have no plans to start.

OP
OP
Z

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My question would be why put out a coupon for a product that is not offered? They should have given you the semi for the price of the conventional.

I have never used synthetic and have no plans to start.

That would have been a good question, I'll keep that in mind for when I go back.

Racer_X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a stealership near me, keeps sending coupons for a 5 qt oil change for my hemi truck that takes 7 qt oil changes. They even print my vin on the coupon, so they know it takes 7 qts

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
Went to the dealer today to get the oil changed on my 2015 V6 1500. This was my first time having the dealer change the oil but I had a coupon so I figured I would give it a shot. They advertised Conventional Oil Change 19.99 (up to 5 quarts, truck holds 6). 21.99 for Semi Synthetic, and 69.99 for Full Synthetic. I was going to opt for the Conventional because; 1) I'm cheap and 2) I've never had an issue running standard oil in an engine.

I was told by the service advisor that they don't even offer conventional oil changes anymore, and that they had moved to Semi Synthetic or Full Synthetic. I know this board is very much pro synthetic oil, but are there any of you that run Semi Synthetic? Any pros or cons to either. Ended up getting the oil changed and the recall performed for 26.00, which I thought was a good deal. All the express lube places around me charge nearly 45.00 for a conventional oil change, especially when they realize I have the cartridge oil filter. All in all it was a good experience, was in and out in a little over an hour (which seems like forever when you have 3 kids in tow, school can't start back fast enough).

I purchased three full synthetic oil changes for my 6 cylinder for in and around $50 a pop. It may have even been a little less. I suspect you can purchase them for semi synthetic and conventional oil. Again, I don't remember the exact price I paid, but what I do remember it was substantially cheaper to purchase three oil changes at a time.

The downside is that if you ever sold or totaled the truck before you use the oil changes, there is no refund on the unused oil changes. At least that's what my dealership told me.

lonestar21

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dealership was charging me 69.99 for their new semi synthetic oil. I refused serviced since I just wanted the regular conventional oil I used to pay less than $50 before at the dealership. So I took it to Henry's oil and it came up to $45 with everything.

Dealerships are getting worse and trying to charge a lot more which is not worth it anymore I used to take my vehicles there but not anymore unless they have a good coupon out.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you don't use a dealership, remember to keep all the receipts with the date and mileage in case you ever have to prove you serviced the truck in accordance with the warranty requirements. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure", us old guys used to say.
Jay

malatu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L Pentastar
Just checked my cost for purchasing three synthetic changes in advance. The total was $50 per change for a total of 150.

Also, you have to use them within 24 months. That's not a problem for me because I purchased the three changes and used the first one that day.

rabbitreborn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I did the 4 changes in 24 months for $180 and have already used 2 of them. Figuring my driving habits, I'll likely use all 4 within 12 months. Since my truck uses the 0w40 Penzoil platnium, this was the best deal I could find at the time. Since them, another dealer has offered me 4 changes within 24 months for $155 and I will likely go there for the next round of 4......

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I buy my own Royal Purple at Walmart and the dealer changes the oil for $20. I make the dealer give me the empty containers back. Just because someone pays for semi or full synthetic, who knows what they're actually putting in.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I did the 4 changes in 24 months for $180 and have already used 2 of them. Figuring my driving habits, I'll likely use all 4 within 12 months. Since my truck uses the 0w40 Penzoil platnium, this was the best deal I could find at the time. Since them, another dealer has offered me 4 changes within 24 months for $155 and I will likely go there for the next round of 4......

No such thing as pennzoil platinum 0w40, I might do a uoa once if I was you to verify they were using 0w40 PUP.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I also use my dealer for my oil change! Too old and lazy to crawl under my truck lol I use the 100% Synthetic and I believe they use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 Motor Oil in my Pentastar V6 ! 4 changes in 2 years w/4 tire rotation $211.00 w/tax , For me a good deal even if I get only 3 done! And yes I am a Synthetic oil fan :O in my cars and motorcycles lol IMO and like most of yours the oil change is the cheapest and best thing to do on a regular maintenance plan ,:) Way cheaper then a new engine lol Oil threads never die :O

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
Synthetic,wouldn't put that garbage in a lawn mower,Last dodge I had all I ran was synthetic and engine blew,brothers honda ridgeline synthetic only,new motor.We opened up engines and that crap was like burnt paste stuck to bearings in both engines.Well advertised garbage,never had a problem with regular oil.Excuse the rant.We both used mobil.

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Synthetic,wouldn't put that garbage in a lawn mower,Last dodge I had all I ran was synthetic and engine blew,brothers honda ridgeline synthetic only,new motor.We opened up engines and that crap was like burnt paste stuck to bearings in both engines.Well advertised garbage,never had a problem with regular oil.Excuse the rant.We both used mobil.

wait a second, are you saying that synthetic oil is garbage? you are entitled to your opinion, but man, you couldn't be more far off base. Especially today, it is a fact that synthetic, so long as its a reputable brand with quality additives, is leaps and bounds better than dino oil. There is nothing wrong with running quality dino oil, but synthetic is just simply better in so many ways.

Last edited:

bruce219

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pentastar
wait a second, are you saying that synthetic oil is garbage? you are entitled to your opinion, but man, you couldn't be more far off base. Especially today, it is a fact that synthetic, so long as its a reputable brand with quality additives, is leaps and bounds better than dino oil. There is nothing wrong with running quality dino oil, but synthetic is just simply better in so many ways.

Where did you get that info from?I've seen what it does,Most mechanics that rebuild engines will tell you the same,not mechanics that buy new parts alternators etc and stick them on engines.

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Where did you get that info from?I've seen what it does,Most mechanics that rebuild engines will tell you the same,not mechanics that buy new parts alternators etc and stick them on engines.

1) do a simple google search on the topic ( here is a recent one by a pretty reputable company called "AAA" ) Synthetic or Conventional Oil: AAA Says Spend the Money | Fortune.com

2) if the products were destroying engines as you say, why would the shelves of most oil retailers be dominated by 70% syntetic product. By your logic, the oil companies would have already stopped making the stuff, since they would be sued to high heaven for all the motors that their products were ruining and it would be a world wide fact that the stuff is garbage as you say.

3) go here and tell people why you think synthetic oil sucks. http://www.ramforum.com/f44/synthetic_oil-27664/index224.html

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I ran syn in my 3.6 and plan on running it in my truck. We see -35 here sometimes in winter and a engine starting in that cold sounds awful. Also in the summer we experience heat waves and towing a boat it's just peace of mind. With that said a full syn here costs $120 LOL. But with oil changes every 14,000k I can justify that to myself [emoji851]

You're more than ok getting oil changes elsewhere and makes sure to keep ALL receipts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk