Dealer oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Just took my truck in for its second oil change. (16'ram 1500 cc bighorn) I decided to pay the small extra fee for full synthetic, as my basic oil changes are all free. I noticed on the work order, they use a genuine mopar filter. Should I purchase a better one on my own and present it for the rest of my changes? Ive seen a few posts here about different filters, the most recent being a filter with magnets on the inner walls. Can any of you suggest what your educated opinions are? Thank you in advance!

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use the Mopar filter but then again I change my oil every 3000 miles.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
In order to educate yourself, take their filter from your last or next oil change home with you and cut it open. Everyone's opinion is just that, but if you cut open that paper filter you will learn a fact. If it is dry and crusty, it isn't filtering anymore, a hole has been blown and micron rating doesn't even apply. If your Mopar filter is still pliable and not crunchy, it is working just fine. Report your finding in the Syn thread, that way we continue to learn.

Stick around here, dealers don't know a GD thing sometimes. If they build that filter like they did your lugnuts, you are in trouble.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
As mentioned do not sweat it. The OEM is fine, I use full synthetic as well and a good dealer will install a OF that meets specs

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Thank you all for your quick replies. Im an old school mopar guy. Had a 71 demon with a tunnel rammed 440 and a built torqueflight and dana 60 rear. Besides having fenderwell headers and no inner fenders due to the fact it would run hot otherwise...it was very easy to wrench on... and when something ever broke, easy (but expensive) to fix. The new hemi's are powerful, yet intricate and complex to me.
Again, your replies go a long way.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mopar filters are decent. Not great but decent. Royal Purple, Amsoil, Wix XP, Fram Ultra, to name a few are all great filters and have synthetic media in them which is what you ultimately want in an oil filter.

But as mentioned you're still under warranty so I would stick with the Mopar filters they provide. Nothing wrong with running them.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Page 800-pdf- on your owners manual.

Engine Oil Filter Selection
This manufacturer’s engines have a full-flow type oil
filter. Use a filter of this type for replacement. The quality
of replacement filters varies considerably. Only high
quality filters should be used to assure most efficient
service. MOPAR engine oil filters are a high quality oil
filter and are recommended.

Yes they recommend Mopar, but clearly you can use any of the synthetic filters which is what I would recommend. Read Syn thread for my reasoning, I cut all my filters open. If you go over 3 months, the glue that holds the paper together binds up due to all of the heat cycles. Cut a couple filters open, learn something new.

GL, Burla

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Royal Purple and all of the full synthetic filters that I know of are micro glass, I've cut one open after 14 months and it was like new. I now go 2 years on my filters.

Better_Oil_Filter_2.jpg

versus paper.

better_Oil_Filter_1.jpg

jschwanke84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As someone who works for a dealership group, I would suggest you just let the service department use what they prefer, because there are reasons for it. And it isn't just being cheap or whatever. People always assume dealers are out to screw you whether it be the vehicle sale or the service/repairs, but that isn't the case. At least not for my stores. Any respectable dealer will do what is in the customer's best interest as the end goal is to earn repeat business. Servicing your truck once or twice and then losing you because of bad parts or bad labor is not advantageous for the dealer.

They know what they are doing and will use the right parts. Trust them and if something ever goes wrong they will take care of it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
From now on we should never bother educating ourselves, just let the dealer handle it because they are good guys. The problem is when you purchase your truck, the dealer no longer owns it, and nobody can take care of your equipment as good as the owner of that equipment. The dealer operates in what is in the dealers interest, they may not want your engine to last forever, if it did, they would go broke because they wouldn't get repeat customers. It is rather funny that all of the info out there is that synthetic filters are more beneficial in every way except water retention (small issue), and yet no dealer recommends them.

filters

makes a good point

So the great thing about newer vehicles is we have evic's, I switch mine back from oil pressure and trans temp. I would know if there was a problem with the oil filter because the first thing that would happen before bypass kicked in would be your pressure would go up (clogged filter or something wrong in your system), when the bypass kicked in the pressures would go back down. You should know this no matter what filter you run. My 5w30 pressures almost religiously maxes at 55 on freeway. Another good tip is to use your evic on something useful everyday instead of leaving it on trip or off.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Trusting the dealership or salesman, not the best reply in this post. Educate yourself a about YOUR truck. Here is 2 of my favorite response from a service writer. 1 Ya we couldn't duplicate that. 2 we are waiting for chrysler to tell us what to do.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have found via the hard way---->The only True Person/People I can honestly trust & has my Best Interest at heart with my Home & Autos & most importantly (My Family) is Myself! Everyone else is in it only for the $$$!

No so called preaching will every change my mind on that.

Last edited:

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use the Mopar filter but then again I change my oil every 3000 miles.

Same here. I have taken my truck's and cars to the dealer for oil chances since the mid 70's every 3000 miles, and have never had a problem.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
3 months or 3k miles, which ever comes first, is no problem for Mopar filters. One year or 10k miles and beyond to a reasonable point, is no problem for micro glass filters. GL OP.

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
I didnt intend for this to turn into a squabble...that being said, i read every response and take what i learn and file it away.
As for dealers screwing people on oil changes? I dont believe that. Because inevitably, people just wont buy Chrysler products anymore. As for a daily driven vehicle lasting beyond 10 years without nickle and diming one to death? It just doesnt happen. Which is why i keep my trucks for 4 or 5 years, then trade it in for new. I can wrench on anything. But being a contractor, i dont have the time, let alone the energy to be doing repairs. And lets face it...if I was coming to your house to give you a bid on work, i think youd rather see me pull up in a new vehicle, instead of a oil leaking rust bucket. I take pride in what I do and what I drive. :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you think that was squabbling, you have seen **** partner. That was just a couple guys making some soft points. If you have extra money like that to get a new car every 4 years, why even bother to post the question?

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Because i like to keep things in excellent working order. I see you have nothing better to do but start ****. Ill listen to others. Bye bye.