Dealership left my air box unhooked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
So I had my oil changed in my ecodiesel at the dealership a few months ago and noticed an odd noise after leaving from under the hood I had never heard, took it back and they looked it over and said it was good to go. Then today after I keep noticing my oil life remaining is not up to par as it should be I checked my oil which was very black, but had a good level and went to check my air filter which was not latched or put into the slots or anything. The entire upper part connected to the intake was just floating around. So I’ve been sucking in every bit of dirt in the air for at least a few thousand miles and few months. Went to the dealership and all they said was sorry have a nice day. Any chance the dirt could cause serious issues? Or be the cause of premature oil changes being necessary. Mind you oil changes are about $200 for the ecodiesel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Cut open your oil filter, tear apart the media look for grit, and consider running a synthetic filter (if your not) next time (see oil filter thread in my sig), it will remove anything knocking around. Usually particles aren't around in the air, unless you live on a dirt road? Don't wait, change that oil filter now imo, maybe even just change the oil now, or ask the dealer to pay since it is their error. Nobody can wager an opinion about damage, because we can't guess what went into the air intake.

Last edited:

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Take it back to dealer & ask for free flush & oil change.
Maybe even some injection cleaner.
Tell them sorry isn't good enough.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ah that sucks to hear! Honestly though there is probably nothing to worry about. I've ran turbo cars with just a screen mesh on them for years making over 700hp and no issues. If you are offroading in a high dust environment maybe but even still it would have to slip through the gap between the airbox lid and filter so you were still getting a bit of filtration.

Your diesel will ALWAYS have pitch black oil so nothing to be worried about there. All diesel vehicles turn the oil black instantly. My TDI has 280k miles on it and still going strong, black oil, doesn't burn anything.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
There was just discussion here recently in some other topic about taking your vehicle to the dealer for oil changes. This is exactly why I DON’T do it. It may be a PITA for some people, but it is worth it to do most maintenance on your own, if at all possible. And if you absolutely must take your vehicle into the dealer, at least check all of the filters, nuts/bolts etc that a dealer would have fiddled with as soon as you can.

There is always the idea of “well if you do it yourself then good luck trying to get warranty work done”. Sometimes you may have a hard time, rarely. But I would say you have a higher percentage of a chance that the dealer will end up screwing your vehicle up worse during routine maintenance than it breaking on its own before the warranty is up while you do your own oil/filter changes..

Ridiculous how often service departments half ass routine jobs. And prob 50% or more of the screw ups, they just try and send you on your way and take no real responsibility. And this is not just a Mopar thing.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My sister in law had a Civic she bought new, still under warranty so she was taking it to the Honda dealer for oil changes.

One day I got to their house and saw an oil trail from the back of her car. Leading all the way to the end of the driveway and onto the street. Dealer changed oil, installed wrong oil filter, not sure how long she drove with oil leaking out. Car only had like 10K miles on it at the time, dealer flat bedded it in, "analyzed" the engine and said it was fine.

10 years and 120K miles later, car was still going!

But I agree....dealers dont touch my cars, I dont care how expensive, or cheap, or new, or old....they aint going near them for basic maintenance. Warranty work is one thing (like my '17 1500 getting checked for the water leak issue), but anything I can control myself that would cost money otherwise, gets done by me.

My wifes old car came with "free oil changes for life!". For the first couple it was fine, then I had to do one myself because I couldnt make it there at a good time. Sure enough, the filter was beyond tight. Broke 2 oil filter wrenches and in the end resorted to the "screwdriver through the filter" trick. Never again. No more free oil changes for anything, I wont even take the RAM in for the first one the dealer gives for free.

OP
OP
O

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Yeah I tried to push the free oil change now and was shot down saying it was fine. And I prefer to do all of my own maintenance however with it being a brand new truck I was afraid of warranty issues later if something would occur if I didn’t have them done there.

guru1ofatl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would suggest getting an oil analysis done pronto. If any of the following items are flagged as being high I would suggest you bring the truck and report to the dealer or contact FCA.

Silicon is dirt
Chromium is ring material
Iron is crankcase and cylinder

Regards,
Russ

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There was just discussion here recently in some other topic about taking your vehicle to the dealer for oil changes. This is exactly why I DON’T do it. It may be a PITA for some people, but it is worth it to do most maintenance on your own, if at all possible.

I'm with you. I change my own too. Too many sad stories, especially with quick oil-change places.
I don't have to worry if those monkeys:
- Cross Threaded the drain plug
- Stripped the plug threads by overtightening
- Broke or lost the drain plug gasket
- Put the 'right' type of oil filter on (and I can use a top-quality filter)
- Left the old seal on
- Inspected the new filter carefully for any metal or debris before installing
- Allowed crap, sand or crud fall into the filter during installation
- Overtightened or under tightened the oil filter.
- Raced the engine upon start-up
- Put in correct level

Then I can:
- Ensure the use of premium quality products
- Ensure ALL zerks are greased (on applicable vehicle)
- Ensure all zerks are 'cleaned' with a rag prior to greasing and no crap on the gun tip
- Use 'same' type of grease each time (some greases are incompatible)
- Look the engine over carefully (Belts, fans, pulleys, etc)
- Rotate tires (don't distort lug nuts by zipping off with air impact)
- Ensure Aluminum wheel coatings don't get chipped during rotation
- Inspect tires for any damage
- Look over brake pads and rotors, note any problems and pad wear
- Torque wheels on after install (don't overtorque with air impact)
- Add a drop or two of oil at the door hinge roller
- They recycle oil at our recycling center

All that for less time than it takes to drive to the quick change place and wait for them to screw things up!

In the defense of some places, I have had some guys at independent repair shops when I was out of my area do an excellent job changing oil, lubing and inspecting things underneath. Usually the owners themselves and I was standing right there under the hoist with them. I'm sure there are lots of guys at dealerships with their heads screwed on straight who do a fine job too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I would suggest getting an oil analysis done pronto. If any of the following items are flagged as being high I would suggest you bring the truck and report to the dealer or contact FCA.

Silicon is dirt

Chromium is ring material

Iron is crankcase and cylinder

Regards,

Russ

Thanks for the advice! Sounds like the route I will be taking as well as noticing fca of the issue and that I will be taking the sample. Anyone have recommendations for a place to have an analysis done at in Houston Texas?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The real benefit of oil analysis is looking at trends when analysis is performed during regular intervals. Can't hurt to do one, but a one-off oil sample isn't that hard to refute. Save some extra oil in case you need to do another sample (if it's doubted). If you perform analysis' over a multi-year time period then you can see different metals trending higher or lower.

I'd still entertain doing one. Not running the air filter isn't good, but doubt you'll notice too much wear unless it's really dusty where you live.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Doubtful anything got past the air filter. Just take it and do a visual check and run a white t shirt in the intake. That will tell you all you need to know.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Completely agree with many of you on here! You sure in hell don't save any money by doing your own PM's but the piece of mind is worth thousands! It amazes me when I do a quick trip into Wal Mart & go in the back Automotive door & see people with their 60-70,000 dollar vehicles in there for an oil change. As if the dealership is not bad enough... those tech's at Wal Mart flunked out of the fries position at McDonalds. :roflsquared:
I know some people just don't have the tools or ability to do their own but you should definitely pop the hood & do a quick walk around before you leave the lot to make sure everything looks good.