Diablo I2010 struggles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sking2001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well gang,

I was pumped and ready to go with a diablo tune on my 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport 4x4.
I spent all weekend prepping by installing a new 180 degree thermostat and mopar CAI.
I went through all the procedures for the i2 (updates and etc). Went to install a tune and couldn't get past the first initial backup of the PCM. It would go to 20% and hang. Contacted support and did everything they recommended. Basically disconnected every accessory I had (that was fun). I even hooked up a battery charger. Called diablo support (they were great the entire process by the way) and reset the tuner. Still no dice. Sending this one back for a replacement. Anyone else experience this?

My dealership recently installed the recall PCM update for the air bag rollover issue. I am wondering if that was affecting the PCM communication with the tuner.....
I hope the new one works...

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Some say they've had no issues with theirs. My experience was similar to yours. No matter what operation I attempted, updates, backup, load tune, log. They all caused it to crash, usually 3 times before it would complete the operation. They offered to send me a new one. I said no thanks, paid the $100 difference and had them send me a 2nd Trinity instead. Already have an older Trinity for my Jeep. But beyond the crashes, I couldn't read the display if the sun was out. No matter what contrast and brightness settings I tried. Just wasn't the right device for my needs.

I doubt the PCM flash the dealer did will interfere with tuning.

wink

OP
OP
S

sking2001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will keep that in mind on the next one. I am working with Hemifever for the tune and it's frustrating that I can't even get to that point. Do you like the trinity that much better? I was just looking for a simple tune. Wasn't going for customized specs. Just want more throttle response and etc.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This happens and, thankfully, it doesn't happen that often.

Sorry you are having such a problem. Good luck!

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will keep that in mind on the next one. I am working with Hemifever for the tune and it's frustrating that I can't even get to that point. Do you like the trinity that much better? I was just looking for a simple tune. Wasn't going for customized specs. Just want more throttle response and etc.

For what you want, an i2 should suffice. Assuming you get a functioning unit.

I went with the Trinity due to it having a readable screen and mounting mechanism. I use it at the track every week to log all my passes.

wink

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Well gang,

I was pumped and ready to go with a diablo tune on my 2013 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport 4x4.
I spent all weekend prepping by installing a new 180 degree thermostat and mopar CAI.
I went through all the procedures for the i2 (updates and etc). Went to install a tune and couldn't get past the first initial backup of the PCM. It would go to 20% and hang. Contacted support and did everything they recommended. Basically disconnected every accessory I had (that was fun). I even hooked up a battery charger. Called diablo support (they were great the entire process by the way) and reset the tuner. Still no dice. Sending this one back for a replacement. Anyone else experience this?

My dealership recently installed the recall PCM update for the air bag rollover issue. I am wondering if that was affecting the PCM communication with the tuner.....
I hope the new one works...

Tell Sean about the PCM update, that's should your problem.

OP
OP
S

sking2001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There isn't a lot Sean can do until the turner can read the pcm. It's in DS tech support hands now. I receive a new one Friday. I will keep you posted and yes Sean is aware. He has been great throughout the process also. Thanks for the support fellow Ram lovers. Check my beast out so you see why I want some throttle response....��

Attachments

• IMG_3579.jpg
    IMG_3579.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 36

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There isn't a lot Sean can do until the turner can read the pcm. It's in DS tech supporg hands now. I receive a new one Friday. I will keep you posted and yes Sean is aware and has been great throughout the process also. Thanks for the support fellow Ram lovers. Check my beast out so you see why I want some throttle response....

Sweet! Wish mine would've come with the sport hood. That's what I get for buying off the lot instead of ordering one. But then I wouldn't have had the leather trim on the seats.

Good luck!

wink

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My I2 wouldn't get past 3%

It crashed a bunch of times or just hung up

I tried to do this in a Sunday, took Monday of and called Diablo....we tried a bunch of things and it turns out the touch screen was bad. Sean sent me another one before I sent the defective one to him.......awesome service from him BTW.
New I2 was SLOW, but that was due to the boot strap nonsense. It did hang up at a few pints but I was able to eventually tune it.
However it was such a PITA and nerve-racking every time it locked up( dam here we go my truck wont work, ill have to tow to dealer for a reflash etc...) that I don't wnt to get the recall done.....I simply don't trust the I2 to work after I put it back to stock....It will be the same process of frustration and general PITA/ loss of confidence.

Also the quick tune feature didn't work caused problems, woulda been nice for Diablo to tell me that up front.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
SUPPOSEDLY after the initial install it becomes faster and easier to re-install if you have to---they say.
Jay

OP
OP
S

sking2001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok boys got my new i2 in today and sure enough went right through the backup/new tune process. Something must of been wrong with the original. Anyway I put the basic diablo tune on and ran with it for while. I noticed a big difference in pickup and throttle response. I can't wait for Sean's Hemifever tune. Keep you guys posted....

OP
OP
S

sking2001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hemifever tune has been applied and all is good... Wow what a difference in the way the engine runs alone. Boosted my mpg up about 2 MPG... Thanks fellas and sean with Hemifever....!