Diagnostic tool?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know of a tool (Besides a tuner) that can read how your engine is running? Something that displays knock timing retard and such. I need to show how my engine runs or at least say how I know it pulls timing and runs rough. Thanks in advance.

This is how many engine sounds sometimes http://youtu.be/qIEz4XCNILM
After fighting with the dealership and them telling me it is normal I have logged my truck using DS many times. In all logs I have major ST & LT knock. I want to be able to tell them this and prove it isnt running properly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I could get it dyno'd?

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
I sent a text to my buddy who owns a shop and I'm waiting on a reply to see if he has any recommendations.

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I sent a text to my buddy who owns a shop and I'm waiting on a reply to see if he has any recommendations.

Thanks. I update my post to include a video of how my engine sounds.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Can an obd2 reader and the torque app do this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am getting my obd2 Bluetooth reader from amazon tomorrow evening so I haven't played with it yet...

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am getting my obd2 Bluetooth reader from amazon tomorrow evening so I haven't played with it yet...

Can you please update me when you get a chance? Find out if it is able to display knock retard and timing.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yup. And thats what I can see with free version. Truck does nit read fuel pressure but does show fuel trims too. You can open the aapp and see what all it does before u get the obd adapter.

Jerseymike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone know of a tool (Besides a tuner) that can read how your engine is running? Something that displays knock timing retard and such. I need to show how my engine runs or at least say how I know it pulls timing and runs rough. Thanks in advance.

This is how many engine sounds sometimes Sounds horrible - YouTube
After fighting with the dealership and them telling me it is normal I have logged my truck using DS many times. In all logs I have major ST & LT knock. I want to be able to tell them this and prove it isnt running properly.

That sounds awful. I thought I was gonna hear the usual Hemi tick but this is way beyond anything I have heard. Does it do it on a stock tune? I get no LT and only like 3 ST for a couple tenths of a second and thats when Im really beatin on it with WOT runs back to back. I would put it back to stock and take it to another dealer.

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. And thats what I can see with free version. Truck does nit read fuel pressure but does show fuel trims too. You can open the aapp and see what all it does before u get the obd adapter.

Awesome thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sounds awful. I thought I was gonna hear the usual Hemi tick but this is way beyond anything I have heard. Does it do it on a stock tune? I get no LT and only like 3 ST for a couple tenths of a second and thats when Im really beatin on it with WOT runs back to back. I would put it back to stock and take it to another dealer.

That was stock in the video. Stock I get LT & ST all over the place. Hemifever tune I get neither. It shouldnt knock well stock in my opinion. Anyone else get knock on stock tune?

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Wow. So for $5 go get the pro version of torque and the logging add in.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Razzaa,

So, I found the Knock sensor reporting. it is an Add on to the Torque pro. It basically loggs the Knock when the engine is revved I think. As of today, on my tablet I have it all setup to report
Tach
Speed
Engine temp
trans temp
Voltages
Timing advance (see mine most ly in the 17° range)
Vacuum/Boost
Intake manifold pressure
Fuel Rate (g/hr or g/min)
Engine Load
C02 emissions (g/km)
Both Cat temperatures (1500°F on the interstate)
all of the O2 sensors voltages
Short and long term Fuel trims (whatever these mean)
Barometer (measured by ECM)
Throttle %

I have it setup on my Galaxy tab 10.1 and I can prop it up on the dash and have the dials layed out so it is pretty easy to read while moving. I should have just done a screen shot but I forget how to on my tablet. it is not as easy as my phone. I put the speed in a square like the vltage and replaced that gauge with the barometer. Accell gague was replaced with ST fuel trim.

2014-01-18131427.jpg

OP
OP
Razzaa

Razzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Razzaa,

So, I found the Knock sensor reporting. it is an Add on to the Torque pro. It basically loggs the Knock when the engine is revved I think. As of today, on my tablet I have it all setup to report
Tach
Speed
Engine temp
trans temp
Voltages
Timing advance (see mine most ly in the 17° range)
Vacuum/Boost
Intake manifold pressure
Fuel Rate (g/hr or g/min)
Engine Load
C02 emissions (g/km)
Both Cat temperatures (1500°F on the interstate)
all of the O2 sensors voltages
Short and long term Fuel trims (whatever these mean)
Barometer (measured by ECM)
Throttle %

I have it setup on my Galaxy tab 10.1 and I can prop it up on the dash and have the dials layed out so it is pretty easy to read while moving. I should have just done a screen shot but I forget how to on my tablet. it is not as easy as my phone. I put the speed in a square like the vltage and replaced that gauge with the barometer. Accell gague was replaced with ST fuel trim.

2014-01-18131427.jpg

I just bought the adapter and torque pro app. Lots of info in the app. I wonder how accurate the readings are. Im going to compare it with my ds data logs.