Differential oil & additives

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I sure wish they put a drain plug on the front differential.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What ? You don't have one on the front ?

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Just found out about this. application guide for Redline. Put in your vehicle and it recommends what fluid. Pretty cool IMO.

Holy crap, very useful...could have used this when looking for ATF, since the Red Line stuff confused me and I ended up getting Mopar ATF+4 instead (I'm sure that's fine anyways). Would love to keep everything Red Line in my truck...about to buy some 75w140 right now.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes this is a great tool ! I plan on going wth Redline on everything for the life of my RAM !

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I am going to be the odd man out here and say I purchased Mobil 1 gear oil for my next change. From the tests I've seen, Redline does better on some things than Mobil 1, and Mobil 1 does better on other things. But even when the one does better than the other, its not by much, and I got a really good deal on the 75w-140.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys FYI. The servicing port is a removable rubber plug & the drain plug on my rear differential (2014 QC 4x4) is a 9/16 hex . My Allen wrench set only goes to 7/16 , I went to 3 diff Autoparts stores trying to find one without buying a $40 set , found one for $8 @ Autozone , it's in a 1/2 drive socket tool .
The front differentials drain plug & service port is on the front side of the differential not positive on its size but it's of normal size , looks like a 5/16ths .

Hope this helps someone.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am going to be the odd man out here and say I purchased Mobil 1 gear oil for my next change. From the tests I've seen, Redline does better on some things than Mobil 1, and Mobil 1 does better on other things. But even when the one does better than the other, its not by much, and I got a really good deal on the 75w-140.
LOL nothing wrong with using the Mobil 1 oil ! Mobil 1 is a great oil !

I'm using Redline everywhere Eng , Xsmn & differentials not just because it's Ester base and a great synthetic oil but to also make it easy to remember what type of oil I need when it's time

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
More often than not, "better' can only be determined through lab testing and even then, is only measurable at the very smallest of microscopic levels,,,, (Like pickin a fly spec out of a 100 lb bag of pepper)

The irony is, without exception, most will trade/buy again long before any of it would ever have the slightest chance of becoming a factor.

But hey, I've been there-done that myself, so what can I say,,,,

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just placed my order with Redline on the link RAM_Designs provided above . Thank You Sir !

After a litle Reading on their site I was able to determine what I needed . I ordered a galon of 75w-140 GL-5 for the rear differential product # 57915 ( no anti-slip additive required , it's already in the oil ) the additive for LSD is required in another type oil they have or when breaking in a new set of gears .

I also got a galon of 75W-90 Poduct # 57904 for the front . The Qty required for our differentials is only 3 qts but the gal price wasn't much more , besides I'll use it for something LOL !

Hope this helps someone.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do us a favor and update your process in syn thread, we need more info on other then engine oils and how it's going and how people are satisfied or unsatisfied whatever.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Will do !

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD

Jason: I would not consider you the odd man out at all.. M1 products are second to none! There is not 1 auto parts store stocks any brand of 75W-140 gear oil where I live...Local WM stocks only 1 viscosity to chose from... I will be danged if I am paying double the price at the local dealership... I stopped being an Amsoil PC a year ago-->Tired of pay tax and shipping...Amazon & Prime are my best friends...

I have always used Amsoil Gear Oil (Since I was 16) dad sold it as a side job...From tons of reading & paying close attention to the racing circuits I chose too start using RL... (as well as saving $$ with Amazon Prime)...

I would not of hesitated to use M1 if Amsoil or RL were not available at the time...

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What? You have a drain plug on your front diff? Ugh! If I have one, I sure as hell cant find it.
Mine is on the fwd side aprox a 5/16 hex for the drain and the service port .
2014 QC 4X4

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Jason: I would not consider you the odd man out at all.. M1 products are second to none! There is not 1 auto parts store stocks any brand of 75W-140 gear oil where I live...Local WM stocks only 1 viscosity to chose from... I will be danged if I am paying double the price at the local dealership... I stopped being an Amsoil PC a year ago-->Tired of pay tax and shipping...Amazon & Prime are my best friends...

I would not of hesitated to use M1 if Amsoil or RL were not available at the time...

LOL nothing wrong with using the Mobil 1 oil ! Mobil 1 is a great oil !

Thanks guys (and others I didn't quote). Took me a bit to find a place that stocked 75w-140 here, finally found it at a local/regional auto parts store thats only in the midwest.

Mobil One is Burla approved as well.

Good to hear. :favorites13:

I used to be a big Mobil 1 fan, but switched to Pennzoil for engine oil. Still purchase Mobil 1 for my father, since Costco has really good deals on it every third month or so, and he is more price-based with oil than I am.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is on the fwd side aprox a 5/16 hex for the drain and the service port .
2014 QC 4X4

Dang it. I better look harder. I do have the skid plate in the way. I hope one is on my truck.

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Not seeing a drain plug for the rear axle of my 2014...sad. Was going to do it when I got home from work, but didn't see a drain plug/bolt and figured I should wait til the weekend so I don't run out of daylight haha.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not seeing a drain plug for the rear axle of my 2014...sad. Was going to do it when I got home from work, but didn't see a drain plug/bolt and figured I should wait til the weekend so I don't run out of daylight haha.
It's a 9/16 hex , requires a 9/16 Allen wrench, the service port is a large rubber plug .
At least that's what's on my 2014 QC 4X4. I bought a 9/16" Allen on a 1/2 drive socket @ Autozone for $8

Hope this helps

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
It's a 9/16 hex , requires a 9/16 Allen wrench, the service port is a large rubber plug .
At least that's what's on my 2014 QC 4X4. I bought a 9/16" Allen on a 1/2 drive socket @ Autozone for $8

Hope this helps

I'll double check tomorrow. What side of the housing is yours on?