Differential swaps!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
* My point of this thread is going from 3.55's to 3.92's.

Trying to find info about this topic hasn't been very fruitful. I found one thread that's kinda close to what I'm looking for but it wasn't too helpful since the OP had a 2014 Ram and mines a 2012 so there was some discrepancy with what front differentials could be used. I'm asking about what do I need to be looking for or foretold about swapping a 3.92 front differential into my truck, donor truck would be a 2012 as well. Is it was easy as pulling out the CV axles and unbolting the driveshaft and differential housing? The rear axle is self explanatory and that won't be an issue swapping.

Regearing is expensive enough the way it is and I had a bad encounter last time I regeared and 4,500 miles later I had to get a new ring and pinion because the guy didn't set them right. So hence why I'm just gunna swap differentials instead. If anyone has had experience with this or can add some info for me I'd very much appreciate it! I don't have a lot of garage room at my new place so the more I know the less hassle and easier it'll be to swap.

Trexterra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as I know that would be a direct swap. Could probably call a dealer mechanic and ask them to look it up though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
* My point of this thread is going from 3.55's to 3.92's.

Trying to find info about this topic hasn't been very fruitful. I found one thread that's kinda close to what I'm looking for but it wasn't too helpful since the OP had a 2014 Ram and mines a 2012 so there was some discrepancy with what front differentials could be used. I'm asking about what do I need to be looking for or foretold about swapping a 3.92 front differential into my truck, donor truck would be a 2012 as well. Is it was easy as pulling out the CV axles and unbolting the driveshaft and differential housing? The rear axle is self explanatory and that won't be an issue swapping.

Regearing is expensive enough the way it is and I had a bad encounter last time I regeared and 4,500 miles later I had to get a new ring and pinion because the guy didn't set them right. So hence why I'm just gunna swap differentials instead. If anyone has had experience with this or can add some info for me I'd very much appreciate it! I don't have a lot of garage room at my new place so the more I know the less hassle and easier it'll be to swap.

If both diffs are from a 2012,it's just a matter of unbolting one,and bolting the other in.It's when you want to put the 09 to 11 front diff into the later trucks that you'll run into mounting issues,to make the earlier front diff a bolt in into a 12 or later truck,the proper way is to swap the drivers side motor mount,but you won't have any issues doing what you want to do.Be forwarned there's 3 bolts at the top of the diff,that might make you curse the engineer that put them there,but the other 4 bolts are easy,only 7 bolts actually hold the diff in place. A long extension with a swivel socket will make pulling the pass side bolts easy with an impact gun.

OP
OP
1SilverBullet2

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Perfect those were the answers I was looking for, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Im curious why youre swapping the whole diff? I may be wrong but i thought the welded front ends didnt start till 2014? If i am wrong then i understand but if im right i would just do the r&p. As long as the shop is semi competent you'll be fine. Its a matter of setting proper pinion bearing preload and backlash. If you dont know those concepts just look up a couple youtube videos and see that its really not that complicated with the proper tools.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I believe it's 2012 and up that are welded in

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Perfect those were the answers I was looking for, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i understand why your gun shy about just changing gears, but i will just throw this out there for your consideration. find a local jeep club and meet up with them. jeep guys are always changing or having gears changes. if there is a decent dependable shop by you, these guys will know them and steer you to the right shop.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's easier and cheaper to swap the front diff then it is to change gears.The diff has to come out to swap the gears anyways,and you can usually find used 3.92 front diffs for less then the cost of rebuilding your diff with the gears you want.If you want 4.56's then you need to hunt up the earlier diff,but if all you're going to is 3.92's,i'd search for a used diff assembly with the 3.92's factory installed.

regularcab2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
True. I misread what was said originally and i thought he was trying to swap the entire housing lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk