Dipstick wrong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

12vrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just did my first oil change and just went ahead and threw in 7 quarts of oil. The dip stick reads about a 1/4 inch high while engine is cold cold cold. Should I worry or is the dip stick more likely to be off more then anything. I did go with the amsoil e-a oil filter so not sure if it's smaller.

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
From my experience Hemis take 7 qts in the initial fill. After that it's about 6.5qts. So when I do a change I check after 6 qts.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Just did my first oil change and just went ahead and threw in 7 quarts of oil. The dip stick reads about a 1/4 inch high while engine is cold cold cold. Should I worry or is the dip stick more likely to be off more then anything. I did go with the amsoil e-a oil filter so not sure if it's smaller.

When it's up to temp it will be at top of hatch marks. Check it after it warms up then let it sit for 5 min then check.

OP
OP
12vrunner

12vrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well I guess the question is what is the proper way to check my oil. I just did oil change and drove around block and just checked it today being the next day after.

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is your oil bottle 1 quart or 1 Litre? A Litre is a little more than a quart. Mine took 6.6 litres

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
Well I guess the question is what is the proper way to check my oil. I just did oil change and drove around block and just checked it today being the next day after.

Think the manual says bring it to temp, shut it off and check after 5 minutes.
When I did my first oil change, I added all 7 quarts and it read past the full mark almost to the little "u" bend on the dipstick. Second time I changed it I checked after 6.5 quarts. Ended up adding another 8 ounces and it reads full on the dip stick. So 6.75 quarts total. Figure that must be good enough since the factory fill only went to the letter "E" on SAFE.
Didn't seem to have this problem with the last 2 hemi's.

atrupo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You will never drain the engine completely once it has been filled. Dry to wet is 7 quarts of oil, so 6.5 quarts is about how much is should take.

Also consider that the filter holds a a good bit of oil, so the filter will hold some oil after the engine has run.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Overfilled my truck a bit once and it was such a pain to drain a little instead of all of it I bought a Fumoto valve. Very happy with it.

OP
OP
12vrunner

12vrunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes was easy for me to drain just patience. And i will say how high it was on the dipstick compared to what came out would of been fine running it as is lol. But feel better now was more of a ocd thing.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did my first oil change on my 17 awhile back. Put in Redline 5w30 7 quarts, ran it, checked it and it was on the very bottom of the ok line. Was like wtf. But drove it for a bit, rechecked it and it was fine.