Do mufflers really get "louder"?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a magnaflow 12588 put on Saturday and my stock crew cab is louder than it is. I had to replace the competitor carven after getting catless long tubes and I figured any muffler would sound pretty good with the long tubes. I am a bit disappointed but from what I have read, mufflers break in and get louder. From your experience, is this true?

Bobbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've noticed slight changes in some mufflers, but not anything dramatic. I notice more of a change in the tone than so in volume.

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have put a muffler on 4 different truck, including the one I own now, and have never noticed a change in sound over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Txhemirt

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what I figured. Well now to find a different muffler. Wonder if I should go with a smaller cased magnaflow or different brand in general. Any suggestions ?

OP
OP
Txhemirt

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm wondering if removing resonators will get me some better sound versus adding a new muffler

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do mufflers really get "louder"?

Depends on the muffler insides. Glasspacks get very loud once they start to break down and you shoot all the packing out the pipes :)

Standard muffler with just some metal baffles will only get louder if something breaks inside, then it is loud and has annoying rattles.

Just look up the muffler you are getting and see what the guts look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
My 14" magnaflow is pretty loud with or without headers

Sickem

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500-Express 3.92's w/ anti-spin
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm wondering if removing resonators will get me some better sound versus adding a new muffler
Can't you just unbolt them to see what it sounds like? Maybe you will get lucky and like the sound. I had the 14" magna flow on my 09 ram and was really happy with the sound. But it is really difficult to get opinions on the sound. I don't recall it getting any louder after time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Can't you just unbolt them to see what it sounds like? Maybe you will get lucky and like the sound. I had the 14" magna flow on my 09 ram and was really happy with the sound. But it is really difficult to get opinions on the sound. I don't recall it getting any louder after time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

no only the exhaust tips unbolt

supposedly the packing does eventually break down in magnaflow mufflers, but it takes time.

i know someone with a 18" mufflex kit with a lot of miles on it, and i have a 14" mufflex kit with a lot less miles and his muffler is definitely louder than mine.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My magnaflow is 5 years old and is definitely louder

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
The last 2 mufflers I've purchased were a 40 series Flowmaster on my 4.7L Dakota and 44 series Flowmaster on my current truck.

In both cases, the mufflers were significantly quieter at the time of installation and "settled in" after a couple hundred miles.

Not scientific at all but very noticable difference....louder after driving a bit.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I had a magnaflow 12588 put on Saturday and my stock crew cab is louder than it is. I had to replace the competitor carven after getting catless long tubes and I figured any muffler would sound pretty good with the long tubes. I am a bit disappointed but from what I have read, mufflers break in and get louder. From your experience, is this true?
That particular Magnaflow is a 22" muffler.

First, no way its quieter than the Piece of Sh@t OEM boat-anchor--just not the case. That beast is big, chambered and there to keep old ladies happy.

In general on the web the muffler you installed is reviewed as "an aggressive muffler but with no drone. You will not know it is there when cruising, but it has a deep growl on take off or heavy acceleration."

Your stock muffler met none of those criteria. It was only loud on cold idle, and then it got just about silent, because RAM wants a big tent of potential buyers including grannies, and they want a muffler that will outlast your corrosion warranty.

Second, I just installed the Mufflex 24 which has a universal Magnaflow 3" in, Dual 2.5" out at its core with the pre-fab piping welded on to exact match the install of the OEM.

With the rest of the OEM system still in place and only 5" tips added, its a night and day improvement over stock; noticeable at idle in a good way, growls as you accelerate or go WOT, but kinda fades away at freeway speed with no drone--exactly what I wanted.

Mufflex makes a 14" and 18" and the 24" I have, described as aggressive, moderate and mellow respectively in their adverts. I'd guess your 22" would be about the same as what I have--the mellow choice.

I suspect your Carven was louder than you realized and now you're in the "mellow muffler zone," which is where I wanted to be, and where my neighbors appreciate my being, if you catch my drift. And No, I don't think a straight flow muffler will change sound much over time. :cheers:

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also have a 22" Maggie with the larger body and I am very pleased with the sound. I do not have headers and I'm sure that might make a difference. I added the 5" Moe's tips which changed the sound of the exhaust to a lower more mellow sound. I also notice a lot less drone with this 22" than when I had a 18" maggie on my 13 Ram.
Jay

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Every muffler I have installed, magnaflows and flowmasters, became louder or the tone changed after a few hundred miles. My 14" magnaflow is definitely louder now then when it was new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
with the long tubes/Magnaflow14's and no cats I have a Nascar truck so VERY loud. I will be posting in a new thread about a few things :favorites13:
Shooter's ear-muffs can help with that....! :rofl:

OutLore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

What is this "muffler" that you speak of? :naughty:

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is a ****** Maxflow that I got for free. It was really quiet compared to my Borla ATAK but after about 800 miles now it has woken up a bit. Still going to run a cutout with a big 5" tip on it for when I want to just scare the crap out of people (to go with my air horn :) )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro