Dodge Ram ticking sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrjesse2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I posted about this before and I still have the same problem but now a little bit more specific. I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 2500 and I'm having misfires on cylinder 3, checked sparks and they're good. Injectors and coils great too. There is a "ticking" sound which I know is very familiar on the 5.7 engine but the thing is that a mechanic told me it was a stuck lifter. He swears it's the lifter but surfing trough the internet I found somewhere that a bad lifter will make noise no matter the rmp, is this correct? Because that ticking noise goes away after 1500-200 rmp. Now, there comes the awful part. Whenever the truck accelerates anywhere past 2000 rmp it shakes and the engine light comes on. I know that is a misfire of course but it's happening very often now! It usually happened only when flooring it or anywhere past 65-70 miles. Now even with 40 mph it gets that misfire. I checked the code and it only says a misfire on the cylinder #3.
The truck used to drive great, no issues at all until one day i noticed a small shake when braking and accelerating. Only 2-3 seconds and that was all now it got worse! Please if somebody can help me figure this out I'd appreciate it so much!! If you think is the lifter, any recommendations of tips to make it work? I don't want to spend thousands of dollars to get those replaced! Unless I have to of course... 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7 hemi

Last edited:

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds like it's been diagnosed.

Hard part is diving in or having someone do it for you. Good luck on it whichever way you go.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Redline oil and a Royal Purple filter worked against my sticky lifters, and other guys as well. But your issue seams pretty serious, a entire set of lifters should be like 500 bucks, shouldn't be too much to have a shop install. If it is a sticky lifter, it can become fatal in no time, I wouldn't wait a minute on that. Eating lifter cost is one thing, eating lifter cost plus a cam assembly is a whole nother. It's like a grand versus 7, or something like that.

When that lifter doesn't lift right, the cam hits the roller, but there is no give. Bad wear happens, and sometimes that rollers gets smashed, and your done. Watch the end of this video, lifter stick should be addressed.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My lifter tick the tick would seam to go away at higher rpms as well.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
You have to let the dealer work on it asap, or it may get worse. Sorry but you have to spend on it or maybe trade in...

I had similar code cylinder misfire fixed under warranty recently, see my posts for more details, my cylinder misfire was bad fuel injector that needed to be replaced. In previous repairs, dealer also replaced rocker arm assembly and one of the lifters I think, and manifold bolts...

2013 1500 5.7 hemi, 36k Miles, used red line oil which didn't matter with such major issues