does anyone have a gas adadative that they recomend?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi all my truck usuly sits four or five days out of the week. I was wondering if anyone had a fuel adative that they have added that helps with deposits or build up. my truck has 62k on it and i have always used mid grade gas.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
its all a bunch of crap. Buy named brand fuels, run the octane that the manufacturer suggests and you will be absolutely fine.

Quality fuels have additives in them already, so save your money.

edit: the only additive i MIGHT be sold on, is something to combat the gasolines that has ethanol in them. But if you are driving the truck a couple days a week, you are burning through the fuel fast enough that gelling of ethanol isnt going to happen.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Agreed. Don't use snake-oil additives unless there's a problem and other simple remedies have failed! Stick to good quality Top Tier Fuel, and avoid no-name stations. That's what Ram recommends, plus they suggest 89 octane. Read this:

Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas

Consider synthetic oil perhaps and don't forget to change your PVC valve when needed (a failed one can lead to condensation and build-up). I have cars that sit for weeks and months and just get in and drive them. Never had any problems.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I use Chevron techron twice a year. No idea if it it is keeping things clean but I haven't had any problems with deposits on my vehicles. I also use shell or Sunoco gas.

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
long term sta bil.

Short term nothing needed. when tanks were metal we would tend to keep em full to help avoid condensation. NOw the ethanol draws the H2O in.

While we are on the subject for all you small engine equipment, snow blowers, leaf blowers, chain saws weed whackers etc, use the ethanol free gas you can buy in small cans for the first tank of the year/ season, use only 93 octane all season and store it with the canned gas for the off season.

Last edited:

RAMNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here are pictures of my intake valves while doing the lifters this past weekend. The truck is a 2011 1500 with 95k miles.

sadFrvo.jpg

27YlxYz.jpg

I was kinda shocked at how clean the valves were. I dont run high octane fuel all the time but I do use Lucas additive every 6 months or whenever I can remember.

And after I cleaned the runners with carb cleaner and a scrotch brite pad.

2BLOh1G.jpg

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Agreed. Don't use snake-oil additives unless there's a problem and other simple remedies have failed! Stick to good quality Top Tier Fuel, and avoid no-name stations. That's what Ram recommends, plus they suggest 89 octane. Read this:

Licensed Brands | Top Tier Gas

Consider synthetic oil perhaps and don't forget to change your PVC valve when needed (a failed one can lead to condensation and build-up). I have cars that sit for weeks and months and just get in and drive them. Never had any problems.

I am kind of surprised that Sam's/Wal Mart are not on that list. Most of the time I am either buying from Sam's or Kroger which is not on the list either. Hmmm.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am kind of surprised that Sam's/Wal Mart are not on that list. Most of the time I am either buying from Sam's or Kroger which is not on the list either. Hmmm.

I think the bigger surprise is how long Sunoco WASNT on the list. They are now, but I checked a few times in the past and noticed they were missing.

I notice the webpage is titled "Licensed Brands", makes me wonder if they need to pay to be on the list. Which means places NOT on the list arent necessarily not top tier.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Well, Redline s1 isn't snake oil, it is the same exact detergent in Chevron gas polyetheramin (pea), in a carrier oil which acts as a upper cylinder lube. The difference is the % in gas is a very low amount compared to when you get it in a bottle. The detergent gas companies put in gas to get the top tier rating costs them less then a penny per gallon.

The detergent standards were set with old engines in mind. Newer engines need more detergents then older ones for a couple reasons. It isn't a huge deal, but I choose to run a PEA cleaner. IMO hemi's need to be clean more then older engines which could take more abuse.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You would expect them to be clean being port injected. Octane has nothing to do with cleaning the intake valves. The gas being injected acts as a solvent.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As mentioned Redline, Amsoil, and Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus are all great fuel system cleaners

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
If you use a fuel system cleaner on these newer vehicles get a additive with P.E.A in it, Redine, Gumout Regane, and I think Chevron uses it. Regane is cheapest out of those.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I thought I read in here that it was a GOOD idea to run Techron + for the fuel pump?

Maybe I dreamed it...

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I thought I read in here that it was a GOOD idea to run Techron + for the fuel pump?

Maybe I dreamed it...

You didn't dream it, it was a different thread. I also read on rf that the chevron+ was good for the sweep contacts on the sender. Only the plus though, I assume the regular doesn't have the "special" cleaner in it, idk.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How about adding tcw3? I've been hearing alot of people running it with positive feedback

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk