Does royal purple engine oil void warranty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sanch109

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello. I would like to know if royal purple engine oil voids warranty? I was reading in the owners manual that oils with chemical flushes voids warranty. I was not able to find if royal purple has a chemical flush in it.

2015 hemi ram 1500

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If I remember correctly, my manual just says not to use engine flushes as if they are used improperly it can damage the engine. I don't believe Royal Purple meets the Chrysler MS 6395 spec either. For example, your cam wipes out on your motor, or it drops a valve. You take it to dealer, they say we need to see receipts to ensure proper oil changes were performed. You show them the receipts for the Royal Purple, they say it doesn't meet spec, we deny warranty. From the research I did on oils when I had my Challenger R/T, I would just use Penzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum. Both are cheaper than Royal Purple, and are supposed to be better.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Sanch: The truth of the matter is no matter what anybody tells you there is no test in this world that the dealers can run that will tell them what brand of oil you're using.

They can get somewhat get close to the viscosity but they will never know the exact!

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
True, they can't do a test, but they can ask for receipts or proof you changed it.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Very true they can ask. But then I would throw in your face real fast and hard what about all those SRT engines & 6.4L that you all Poured in M1 0W-40 instead of the SRT 0W-40 that you can't ever keep in stock.

And M1 told Chrysler to suck it with their certification.
I know personally of three dealerships who had pallets of M1 0W–40 in the back just for these engines.

I only wonder how many owners actually keep the receipts from their changes?
Hell I'll bet half the owners or more who have their oil changed for them don't even know what oil or viscosity is truthfully or actually going in their motors.

But it would be smart to use a Chrysler certified oil. For those concerned about warranties.

Last edited:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Very true they can ask. But then I would throw in your face real fast and hard what about all those SRT engines & 6.4L that you all Poured in M1 0W-40 instead of the SRT 0W-40 that you can't ever keep in stock.

And M1 told Chrysler to suck it with their certification.
I know personally of three dealerships who had pallets of M1 0W–40 in the back just for these engines.

I only wonder how many owners actually keep the receipts from their changes?
Hell I'll bet half the owners or more who have their oil changed for them don't even know what oil or viscosity is truthfully or actually going in their motors.

But it would be smart to use a Chrysler certified oil. For those concerned about warranties.
If you pay someone to do your oil changes you can always retrieve proof from them. If they're reputable they probably track yor visits and services performed for warranty/comeback purposes.

If you pay Auto Zone (or any other store) for oil and a filter, you have to remember when and where you put the receipt and they wont be able to back you up. Amazon could at least prove at some point you bought oil.

Key thing is if you've been changing regularly, oil and contents shouldn't even enter the discussion; no sludge, no nasty deposits, no distinctive burned oil or fuel diluted smell etc.

Different if you bought it used, or you're one of those people that ignore oil changes

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sanch, it wont void ****, there has never been a credible story of any manufacturer denying coverage over a brand of oil and holding up in court. Magnusum Moss covers what they can do, and if a judge determines a dealer denied coverage in the wrong, they get corn holed and they know it. if your truck breaks down, don't say **** except fix or or pay in court under mag/moss, see what they do. That have to PROVE the oil caused the damage, simply wont happen. Dealers push people around, well if they push you around, PUSH back. I won 13k off a dealer because he refused to do a fix under warranty. I hired a lemon law lawyer, they offered many settlements before the case went to court, because they know if the case goes to court, they will need a ton of lidocaine for the pain the judge will leave in their ass. No joke, the dealer needs to be way more afraid of you then them, they count on people walking away instead of fighting. But fights like that are real good for the sol, real good!

More importantly, Royal Purple otc does not have moly, so if you want RP please consider HPS (high performance street). And their filters are really great filters, so that would be a good combo.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
moly basics

Every major oil brand uses moly to protect metal surfaces at start up except 2, Royal Purple otc and Valvoline. RP HPS has real good moly levels.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From my experience, it will not void anything (I have the lifetime Maxcare).
I brought my truck in after a few months of ownership when it got real cold up in Fairbanks when my Hemi tick was getting pretty loud. I figured since I had the Maxcare it was $100 to get it all looked at.

One of the first things they asked me was if I had an oil change, who did it, and what brand it was. It was done 2k miles prior to visit, I did it, and RP with recommended viscosity. They did not care and I did not void my warranty or have any other issue. Their warranty claim came out to be around 4k, I paid my $100 deductible and walked out. I feel they were just asking to make sure it had a regular OCI and correct viscosity, and was likely just to rule some things out on their end more than anything.

However, I am approaching my next oil change within the next 500 miles or so and will NOT be using RP. With the pricetag and lack of moly content, it is not worth it (I didnt know it didnt have moly until after a few thousand miles.... poor research on my end). I will be switching to PUP if it is available or the next step down from that.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
unless this has changed, RP 5-20 has the proper cert listed on the bottle.

OP
OP
S

sanch109

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for the info guys.

I called the dealer just to see what they said. The person on the phone informed me that the service manager said as long as its 5w-20 and then disconnected.

Reactions: SyN

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Bammy! There is your answer.
They will have no clue what the actual viscosity of the oil was when it was first poured in!

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So what about AmsOil. Does it meet their requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OriginUnknown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
True, they can't do a test, but they can ask for receipts or proof you changed it.

These kind of games were made illegal by Magnuson–Moss. A warranty claim can only be denied if customer neglect can be clearly demonstrated. It's their responsibility to prove a denial, not the customers responsibility to prove eligibility. Rejection is absolutely never going to happen because Royal Purple was used on schedule.