Does this sound like a bad torque converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beveballs127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Need a little help pin pointing a transmission issue. My truck caught some wheel hop when it hit second gear on a burnout. Exploded the ring and pinion. I fixed the rear end but now the truck does not want to move after a few feet. If the truck is in 2wd in drive it moves 10ft and then free revs. In 4x4 high it does the same thing. In 4x4 low it will keep moving. In reverse it will keep moving. I'm thinking that this is an indication that the torque converter is bad. It does make a faint noise but nothing you can pinpoint. Im ready to replace the pump and the torque converter as I'm 90% sure that is the issue. I would just like the hear some opinions and maybe someone can share their experience especially if they had a bad converter or pump. Thanks in advance!

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
which transmission?

Have you checked the fluid?

I think one of your speed sensors in the tranny may be bad, or the new DIF you put in has a different ratio than the one you broke. Look at the ratio on the dif tag and compare.
another thought is if you used a tuner to set the ratio and its wrong.
A bad TQ converter will USUALLY whine and the engine will rev right away. because you have reverse I think it not the TC.

GL hope its something simple.

OP
OP
B

beveballs127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Fluid is super clean but I have not pulled the pan. The computer is set for 3.55s and I know that's what's in there. Did the gears myself. As for the speed sensor that sounds like a possibility. I am getting a code 1st gear incorrect gear ratio

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If the torque converter was bad it would effect every gear, regardless if it's drive/reverse/4hi or 4lo. The torque converter and pump are always spinning as long as the engine is running. You have a different issue, I would guess 99% it's not the torque converter.

If I had to guess as to what it is, the fact you're getting a incorrect gear ratio error points to either speed sensor, or there may be an internal failure causing a clutch to slip or not even apply.

Last edited: