Don't Be A Sucker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
There really does seem to be a sucker born every minute. Today a young custoner come in looking to have his "performanc chip" installed on his truck. After checking it out and reading the instructions, I realized someone had sold this poor kid a $.25 resistor in a plastic box for $50 and promised him gains of up to 75 HP for his 4.7 engine. I tried to talk him out of it but he wanted installed anyway, so I did the job.

I brought the truck into the shop and grabbed my DVOM and checked the "performance chip". Sure enough it was nothing more than a 10k ohm resistor that ties into the IAT sensor to fool the PCM into thinking the incoming air is 80F cooler than what it really is. I brought the customer back into the shop and showed him exactly what it does on the scan tool and cautioned him not to expect any performance or fuel economy gains because the IAT is such a small part of the fuel calculation that would be overridden by the inputs from the O2, MAP, coolant temp and other sensors.

Aside from the empty performance promises, another potential problem is the connectors supplied with the chip. They're just generic connectors that will allow moisture in and corrosion to fester. I did solder the wires in to at least keep corrosion at bay and wired it in such a way that if it gives him problems, he can plug the IAT back in and the chip wil be overridden.

This poor guy wasted $70 on a $.25 part that will do him no good. He asked what he could do for more power and I suggested that he look into a programmer that will actually reprogram the PCM instead of just lying to it. What else can you do, yanno?

mitchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow. Well, as many as are for sale on ebay I figured someone had to be buying them.

OP
OP
RamTech

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
They surely are. I've seen some negative feedback about how they don't work.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
isn't that all the power wire is? and a lot of people bought and still use that.

IresqU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice call Randy for those that might've bought into that garbage!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
That thing is a pos bit you honestly can't tell people anything sometimes. I applaud you for warning the guy in advance and trying to steer him in the right way.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should have offered to calibrate his flux capacitor for an extra $30.

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
did he get his muffler bearings greased too? maybe filled up on his headlight fluid?

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
You should have offered to calibrate his flux capacitor for an extra $30.

Next time you're on O'Reillys website, do a search for part no. 121G and let me know what happens

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Next time you're on O'Reillys website, do a search for part no. 121G and let me know what happens

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Dang not sold online, best head to the store and give them that number

joetama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think I need the 121gmf upgrade.

BMRbrnSNRbrd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC Hemi Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Holy hell! Are you serious that OReilly has a freaking Flux Capacitor listed on their site!?! That's hilarious.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Rocket makes them for a few bucks in the for sale section .

Also next time just send them over to RF we can help the kid out with performance .

Laramie1997

Reaction score
Ram Year
1997 Ram/2013 Charger R/T Super Trak Pak
Engine
5.2 (318ci)/5.7 (345)
You can't do anything besides smirk knowing that when the idiot has issues later from that nice little pack, he won't have warranty to fall back on on any level to speak of.