Drive Shaft Failure '14 Ram R/T (any alternatives?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My Drive Shaft JUST failed tonight while I was passing a police officer in the center lane. Was accelerating from 65-75 and all of a sudden small vibration, then BOOM, parts everywhere. I managed to pull over, saw gas pouring out from under the truck. Drive Shaft completely gone, and had punctured the fuel tank on it's way out from under the truck. The officer helped me look for the drive shaft, and we found it mangled. Looks like a defect in the metal.

I expect RAM to fully take care of this for me, because this should not happen to a truck meticulously taken care of, and with only 7300 miles on it. I JUST bought some bolt on parts from Moe's and haven't even gotten a chance to test them out... now part of me doesn't want to test them, nor even keep this truck, because I question just how safe it is.

I am livid that the POS under the truck seems like it's made out of a damn beer can. Couldn't have weighted but 10 pounds. This leads me to a question... where can I find a better drive shaft?

I'll keep you guys updated with what the dealer says. Fortunately for me, if there is any litigation involved, I have an officer as a witness.

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh man that sucks
Your truck is a 8 speed right?

My friend has a 14 RT 8 speed and his driveshaft flew off cuz he was going 130 on the freeway.
It is known that these fail on 8 speed trucks that are dropped and have the pinion angle not set correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yes it's the 8-speed. Fastest I've ever had this was 105, never 130...

It has a Belltech Drop from the previous owner... ironically enough I bought this truck CPO from a Ram Dealer, and didn't know I had a lowering kit on the truck until I got it home and started looking at it. IT does have the drop bracket, from Belltech, and had the vehicle looked at the be sure the pinion angle was good, for this very reason.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can't wait to hear how this plays out.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Like said, driveshaft failures are a issue w/ the 8 speeds. I doubt the dealer will warranty it due to the lowering kit even if you bought it from the dealer already lowered from the previous owner.

Does your truck have adjustable upper & lower rear control arms?

I'm not sure who can build you a stronger driveshaft. Matt or somebody might know.

Even at factory height w/ barely any mods my 2016 R/T's driveshaft starts getting a little grumpy at around 85. I would like to lower mine but these trucks carry to much baggage w/ them for me to be bothered w/ lowering it.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't part with the Ram, because there's a pretty good chance that the drive shaft from Ford or chebby, will be the same thing, more or less.

Starting in 2011, the Mustang V6s had a driveshaft like you described, is in your truck. A few of them went ka-powie, also. When I ordered my Perf Pac V6, I also ordered a "Drive Shaft Shop" alum driveshaft. The stock V6 shaft was supposidly good for only 112 mph. The DSS unit is almost indestructible. An outfit called American Muscle is where I got mine. $647, if I remember correctly.

But first, I'd get everything in your driveline straight.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
How about dont drive so fast? Lol

sent from galaxy S7 edge using tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
You can get an aftermarket 1pc aluminum driveshaft made, lots of driveshaft shops can build them. If you have proof that the truck had the lowering kit on it when you bought it, not just saying it was like that when you bought it but actual proof, then the dealership should be on your side if it was CPO from them.

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't part with the Ram, because there's a pretty good chance that the drive shaft from Ford or chebby, will be the same thing, more or less.

Starting in 2011, the Mustang V6s had a driveshaft like you described, is in your truck. A few of them went ka-powie, also. When I ordered my Perf Pac V6, I also ordered a "Drive Shaft Shop" alum driveshaft. The stock V6 shaft was supposidly good for only 112 mph. The DSS unit is almost indestructible. An outfit called American Muscle is where I got mine. $647, if I remember correctly.

But first, I'd get everything in your driveline straight.

Yea your right. My last truck was a 2013 GMC Sierra and the stock driveshaft's in the 4 door trucks were prone to taking flight also

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would not bring it into the dealer lowered... Why not make it the stock height again and then bring it in? They cant void your warranty unless they can point out a aftermarket mod that could have caused it. In this case it could be the lowering of the vehicle. My tuner car I use to make stock every time I had to get a major part fixed by the dealer. It was a pain but def worth it. Free fixing is free fixin

On another note 130 in a full size truck... yea thats a bit crazy; my ram shakes at 90 I do not plan on ever passing 100mph. This could also be karma for passing a police car... he showed you lol.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
On another note 130 in a full size truck... yea thats a bit crazy; my ram shakes at 90 I do not plan on ever passing 100mph. This could also be karma for passing a police car... he showed you lol.

You should try mine when it gets to 273km/hr. Still rocking the factory 1pc driveshaft too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
8spds had an aluminum driveshaft? Well theirs your problem lol.

Personally I would never run aluminum DS in any of my cars unless it was bone stock. My 14 CC has a 6spd and steel shaft and while it doesn't look awsome lol it's been to 100mph with no shake.

Denny's driveshaft builds all my steel shafts for all my toys. I always go for the nitrous ready moly
Shafts which u can't break.. And if u do it will be replaced for free. The added weight of a steel shaft is easily compensated with more power. I don't believe in lightweight flex plates either. Don't skimp on major parts like this.

Sorry to hear about your truck tho... That sucks. You might want to look into adding a safety loop for this very reason. Your lucky it didn't dig into the road and put a hole through the cab.

OP
OP
J

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I would not bring it into the dealer lowered... Why not make it the stock height again and then bring it in? They cant void your warranty unless they can point out a aftermarket mod that could have caused it. In this case it could be the lowering of the vehicle. My tuner car I use to make stock every time I had to get a major part fixed by the dealer. It was a pain but def worth it. Free fixing is free fixin

I bought the truck from a Ram Dealer with 4000 miles on it and it had already been lowered... so I don't have the stock equipment, unfortunately.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just throwing this idea out there,not sure it'd even work or if you'd be interested in trying,but it's something to think about.I know from my days of old and having shafts made up,if you could find a steel shaft that is the same length or longer,most shops could shorten it and put your factory ends back on,noticably cheaper then having one made up. I'm not sure what year of trucks or model you'd have to look for in a wrecking yard though.I think Kurtis's 09 has a fairly long shaft,so maybe something from a QC or CC might be where to start looking.
The regular cab shortbox 4X4's still use a steel shaft,but it is probably to short to use. I've had my little RCSB 4X4 not quite up to Kurtis's speed,but fairly close,and it has no driveline vibrations on the top-end,knock on wood,lol.

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I also agree with the drive shaft loop. It's just a little extra safety feature. I've always used them in cars I raced since the early 60's. If there is a known problem with our drive shafts under certain circumstances, why not add an additional safety item?
Jay

SKWURLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
You can get an aftermarket 1pc aluminum driveshaft made, lots of driveshaft shops can build them. If you have proof that the truck had the lowering kit on it when you bought it, not just saying it was like that when you bought it but actual proof, then the dealership should be on your side if it was CPO from them.

I looked into this with QA1 and The DriveShaft Shop.
SCSB trucks like the OP and my R/T are 2 pc driveshafts. Both U joints are fixed, with a center section that is splined and slips.

I would have to change either the pinion mount type, or the trans side in order to go 1 pc. it got super expensive. $1600.00 expensive.

SKWURLZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Also, I had to make my own rear link arms, after some issues with failures at the top end of the 1320 with the aftermarket ones.
0210823206004437_7324628835876532985_n_zpsgjvj96ab.jpg
0210823205484424_4999533668149551883_n_zpsvqrcrdys.jpg

OP
OP
J

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Worst Fears.

Oxmoor Ram said :flipthebird: they aren't fixing it. Not satisfied with this answer, I called into corporate to file a case to see if there is anything that can be done for me, given the circumstances. I know these service guys are paid based on their customer service reviews,

I will most likely have a 1-piece built. I'd pay $1600 one time before I'd go through all this crap again. Literally, you could play frisbee with that drive shaft... I just know I'll snap another one.