Driving you truck hard(lively). How hard is it in it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cecil_

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 SLT
Engine
5.7 HEMI
How many people out there drive there trucks hard (livily)? I installed a k&n cold air intake and I love it. I'm thinking about buying the pedal comander and then being done with performance mods.

I know these mods will Encourage me from time to time to drive lively (on the throttle off the throttle and harder on the brakes)
How hard will this be on my truck?

I know about not rushing a cold engine and letting it cool down for a bit before shutting it off. Also I upgraded my brake pads to ebc greenstuff to.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
There's a few of us racing the trucks,the weak links are the transfer case if you're 4 wheel drive,and the stock clutch style limited slip in the rear diff. The transfer case won't take full throttle shifts from 4 auto to 2 wheel drive for long,and the stock limited slip doesn't like horsepower /water box burn-outs and drag radials. I have 32,000 miles on my 2014 regular cab shortbox 4X4 and it's made over 300 nitrous passes at the dragstrip,and other then the 2 problems I've listed has never given me any issues. The hemi/ 8speed combo seems to be fairly bulletproof. As long as you're not absolutely stupid with the trucks,they'll take a fair bit of **** and abuse

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It won't hurt it. Just keep it maintained and have some fun.

Oh, don't jump ditches or small hills at speed...ever...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
How about just leaving it in auto? I never play with the shift buttons on the gear selector.

I quit using the 4X4 mode at the track,and just bought some decent drag radials,(after I discovered the truck is 2/10th's quicker in 2 wheel drive),and had the transfer case done under warrenty,also went to a Tru Trac posi unit after burning up a couple of the stock clutch posi units.Those are the only 2 things I've had issues with, my truck puts down 435hp and 455 lb-ft at the tires on the dyno,so it's a bit harder on things then most trucks,lol

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll let someone with more experience correct me if I'm wrong, but no worries running hard when cold or need to let it cool before shutoff. This is my third hemi and never had to take these precautions.

My old Supra however... They were notorious for developing a bad tick if ran hard cold and cool down prior to shutoff was to extend turbo life. Hence why people install turbo timers.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I would always let it warm up to temps before getting on it hard. jmo

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I quit using the 4X4 mode at the track,and just bought some decent drag radials,(after I discovered the truck is 2/10th's quicker in 2 wheel drive),and had the transfer case done under warrenty,also went to a Tru Trac posi unit after burning up a couple of the stock clutch posi units.Those are the only 2 things I've had issues with, my truck puts down 435hp and 455 lb-ft at the tires on the dyno,so it's a bit harder on things then most trucks,lol

Didn't know trutrac !Ade a unit for our trucks. Did you switch the rear axel?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Didn't know trutrac !Ade a unit for our trucks. Did you switch the rear axel?

You can put a Tru Trac in the the later ZF diff,but it's pricey.You need the earlier 9.25 gears ,one passenger side axle (it's longer then the drivers axle) plus the Tru Trac posi unit for the earlier 9.25 diff,and a master install kit.Do a search on here,there's threads on what all is involved and the rough costs to put a Tru Trac in a later ZF diff.It's not difficult,just expensive:favorites13: