Drop in Filter vs. Cold Air Intake in 2015 Ram Hemi 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKP3885

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First, I sincerely apologize if this is posted somewhere else. I used the search and didn't find much on this topic. If it's already posted, please just link me to that thread if you can and I'll delete this one...

I got a 15 Ram with the 5.7 hemi. My only mods so far are just exterior side steps, back up cam, and a new head unit and speakers. Looking for a nicer sound from my truck which will include changing the muffler out for something with a nice deep tone, but not too loud. Maybe a flowmaster 40 or 50.

I wondered with our trucks if the Cold Air Intake is a wise choice with the 5.7 hemi? Im not mechanic but it seems like the stock air box and setup is pretty big already. Will it do anything for me in terms of sound or mpg? Will it hurt my mpg at all? I don't plan on doing any kind of tuning...

I've read that a tuner with a 2015 Ram is a complete PITA because you can't just plug in and tune the PCM on these trucks due to them locking up and disabiing the truck. So I read that you have to send the PCM out and either get a 2nd PCM made for tuning, or have something modified.

Basically I dont want to put out hundreds for a CAI and get the same result as if I'd buy a $50 drop in K&N filter. Just looking for suggestions and advice from those of you who have both.

I appreciate it!

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've had the cai and the drop in to me you can't feel the difference other than sound. the vararam is the way to go its a little more expensive but worth it . it will make a difference

kml9491

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anybody have the Mopar CAI? I was thinking this would be my first performance mod followed by exhaust.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah I have it on mine, Just because in Canada some Stealerships wont honor warranty if you have aftermarkets ones. Its a re-branded AEM for 2x the cost ...lol..

15778636_large.jpg

OP
OP
J

JKP3885

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I have it on mine, Just because in Canada some Stealerships wont honor warranty if you have aftermarkets ones. Its a re-branded AEM for 2x the cost ...lol..

15778636_large.jpg

That looks great. Did it change your sound, performance or mpg at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That looks great. Did it change your sound, performance or mpg at all?

I dont know, The Magnaflow and CAI were installed as part of my deal when I bought the truck :roflsquared:

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'll definetely checkout that aem drop in. Any mpg gains? I'm assuming it's washable and lifetime?
Yes and yes, although on the former I was replacing a moderately used paper factory filter.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JKP3885

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I heard good things about the s and b, I'm thinking about doing one.

I just found out my buddy had the s&b CAI. He said his mileage didn't really change but the sound was better. The only negative he noted was he said you have to remove the inner fender to install. He paid someone to install it for him cause he said it was a hassle.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you aren't going to add any other performance upgrades, TB, exhaust, etc., just go for the drop in. You'll need to add more upgrades to take advantage of ANY aftermarket intakes. They will all make a cool "go-faster" noise though.

Note: Most of these supposed CAI are actually very inferior to the OEM air cleaner assembly at gathering "cold" air as mostly they allow warmer air from the engine compartment to also enter the engine. The OEM assembly is sealed and all air comes inform outside the engine compartment.

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Which is why my K&N air box is for sale! Here is my setup...

021f5be361c87396b445dd86b39e0a9e.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Chris. lerma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Veraram

So this is a pic of the veraram and catchcan. The Veraram actually lowered my mpg. Although since I only drive it 3 days a week, its spirited weekend driving. I do have a 93 octane hemifever diablo tune, 14" mufflers and 5" tips.
On a side note I read that driving in tow/haul mode increases mpg and eliminates the drone. Driving in tow/haul does eliminate drone imo but since i'm on the highway off and on I don't drive with it on enough to notice mpg difference.

Try the archoil fuel and oil additives if you want to try to increase mpg and lubrication. It works like magic on diesels. I ordered for the cummins I drive after I watched several vids on the Tube by the powerstroke help guy.

Attachments

• 20160605_193226.jpg
    20160605_193226.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 456
  • 20160605_193238.jpg
    20160605_193238.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 20160605_193321.jpg
    20160605_193321.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 159

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Stick with a dry filter. I switched to a K&N and now I'm kind of wishing I hadn't. I noticed a mileage increase when I first put it in, but that's only because I replaced a dirty filter. Now that I've got some miles on it, my mileage is the same as it was. I bought into the hype of K&N, and realized it isn't all that spectacular.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I went with the Volant CAI with the Power Core 100,000 mile dry filter. I prefer the closed box, it has an addition inlet that can be capped or a scoop can be added at an additional cost that will double the inlet capacity and increase air velocity.

Makes a huge difference on how the truck sounds, performance I have to say it did seem to increase the acceleration of the truck, whether or not it added any HP or tourq I did not put it on a dyno or anything like that so hard to say

Gas milage I have not noticed a difference

Overall I would recommend this product and I would buy this product again.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cold Air Intake.jpg
    Cold Air Intake.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,319
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 1,210