Dual exhaust on a single exhaust truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camblanton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 5.7 with single exhaust. I want to put duals on it.
Looking for recommendations.

GO.....

Attachments

• 3262.jpg
    3262.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 38

muscleram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just get a bumper put it on and head to the muffler shop

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My first question is budget and will this be done at a shop or by yourself?
Second question, what level of aggressiveness are you looking to get?
and what type of tone do you prefer, Depp and throaty or loud with a little rasp to it?
will you be putting on a bumper with the exhaust tip reveals or leaving your factory bumper on?

There are a multitude of options, and kits produced that allow you do do the job yourself or if you want to take it to a shop they can put on a single 3" in and a dual 2.5" out over the axle and out the back...

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I had the same situation with my truck

I took it to my shop and they did the whole job for $ 350.00 with 14" maggnaflow and tips included

All welded stainless no bolt on stuff

Please note not true dual just cut it in front of the 55 gallon drum

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 45

Cowbell_Fever123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am currently in the process of putting a borla S-type on my single exhaust truck. Borla only builds straight out the back cat-back exhaust though, and I don't like the look of the 4" tip hanging oit under the flat bumper.

Solution: rear bumper swap so I have the dual cutouts.

Warning though, this has been expensive. Borla is one of the pricer exhausts, though worth it as they are very high quality, and the price of the bumper just adds to that (they are not cheap either).

I recommend coming up with an idea for a few different catigories before choosing an exhaust

Price range
Quality desired
Sound/noise level

Then get on youtube and look them all up.

OP
OP
Camblanton

Camblanton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys. Not looking for something overly loud. Just something to make it sound a little deeper. Want people to hear the Hemi but my wife can't stand loud noise of muffler in the cab. Don't want to change the bumper. Preferably side exhaust.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I got mine coming out behind the rear tires as my bumper did not have the cut outs either

I like it gives you a different look from most Rams

OP
OP
Camblanton

Camblanton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got mine coming out behind the rear tires as my bumper did not have the cut outs either

I like it gives you a different look from most Rams

Yeah. I like that too. I had an 07 Ram with the duals in it. I don't want to have to pay for a new bumper though. I may go this route. How do the magnaflows sound on there?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Magnaflow builds a catback dual exhaust kit for trucks with-out the bumper cut-outs.I had one on my old truck,and it didn't look bad,and sounded decent.I'm sure other outfits build something similar,but I know the Magnaflow kit fits. You should have the extra hangers needed already on your truck.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in the exact situation as you and it is annoying one thing like the guys here are saying is first replace the bumper that has the dual exhaust grooves and from what you are looking for is the same as myself I reccomend the Carven exhaust system when you switch there is a guy here on the forum customblack and he has a youtube channel, watch this video of his
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TEik3psMac

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
well being aftermarket it has no resonators

It is obnoxious according to my wife

It sounds bad ass mean if you ask me :)

Minimal drone though, but if you don't like loud maybe look at a 18" of a Carven progressive

That competitor series they say is loud too

They are available in weld on versions as well

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thanks guys. Not looking for something overly loud. Just something to make it sound a little deeper. Want people to hear the Hemi but my wife can't stand loud noise of muffler in the cab. Don't want to change the bumper. Preferably side exhaust.
As stated above, dual exhaust is obtainable without going true dual. In fact, the factory dual is really a single inlet muffler with dual outputs.

What that means for you is you can replace the factory muffler and probably only need one more pipe with hangers and a resonator.

Muffler shops are not created equal. I contacted one butt-loafer that wanted to charge $800-1,200 to junk all my original stainless pipe and run his own ass-clown configuration. Wouldn't listen.

You can buy a nice open performance muffler pretty reasonably and if you're not worried about welding pipe get it all put together pretty reasonably. I see above someone got a welded system for $350.

There is nothing wrong with going bolt on, and a number of companies make direct bolt on replacements for the factory muffler in dual out or single out, so you could just get a better flowing and louder single exhaust.

With a single inlet, dual outlet kit you replace that pig of an OEM muffler with something free flowing and much shorter. The kits come already welded up with stainless piping that matches factory and bolts on. So all you need after the kit is the pipe to your chosen outlet position and hangers and probably a factory match resonator.

True dual would need an X or H pipe to equalize between cylinder banks and a second muffler and more pipe.

You don't have the bumper for factory rear exit dual, but you could parallel your existing single pipe and have same-side dual dumped pipe, or match your existing single pipe on the opposite side--but you'll need to either to remove your existing resonator, or add one to the new pipe to keep it balanced.

As far as mufflers you can go from muffler delete to racing mufflers smaller than your resonators, up to 14, 18, or even 24" mufflers and still improve over factory.

I went with a 24" Magnaflow as part of kit made by Mufflex. It is plenty loud, but not ******* loud, and settles down nicely on the freeway so I don't have drone. I added 5" wide chrome tips because I do have the factory dual, which then gave a deeper, almost sidepipe sound to my exhaust.

Some people here on RF swear the muffler delete isn't TOO loud as well--I live in a townhouse and prefer to avoid a lynch mob of neighbors, so I wouldn't go short than an 18" Magnaflow--That's my preference and this about your truck so only you can decide what's right for you.