Dual Fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nickpohlaandp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So any word on whether the fan is on there with standard threads or reverse threads? Also, what holds that pulley on once you remove the fan? Is it hard-mounted to whatever accessory it's driving?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
It's reverse threaded. Spin it clockwise to take it off. And the pulley is secured to the water pump. It isn't going anywhere.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
So any word on whether the fan is on there with standard threads or reverse threads? Also, what holds that pulley on once you remove the fan? Is it hard-mounted to whatever accessory it's driving?

The fan clutch is mounted to the water pump assembly and IIRC it's a reverse thread, all that's left is a threaded end on the water pump drive pulley so there's nothing else to do after pulling the clutch assembly.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you hunt around you might be able to find a small plastic cap that'll sorta screw over the exposed threads.I found one off an old penetrating oil spray bomb,cleaned it up and sprayed it with some black Krylon,and screwed it onto the exposed threads.It cleans up the front of the pulley fairly nice,and you don't have rusty looking threads staring you in the face everytime you open the hood,lol.

MikeEMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to dig up an old thread, I just pulled off the fan to see the difference in noise which has been my biggest issue with the truck and it's like a completely different vehicle. I'm leaning towards the tuner option for utilizing the AC fan for cooling, is the DiabloSport i2 appropriate for this?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Yes it is. The i2 will allow you to set the fan temps after removing the clutch fan.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Yes it is. The i2 will allow you to set the fan temps after removing the clutch fan.
Hmmmm...I have a 2011 and have the i2 tuner.

Running stock thermostat, can I set temp myself in modify parameters or do I need Sean to do it in his tune?

What should temp be set for in order to use the AC fan and maintain correct temps?

14blackouthemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe I'll do this when i install my 180 thermostat this week. I also would like to know what I should set my temps at with the tuner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeEMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmmm...I have a 2011 and have the i2 tuner.

Running stock thermostat, can I set temp myself in modify parameters or do I need Sean to do it in his tune?

What should temp be set for in order to use the AC fan and maintain correct temps?

I don't know what settings are best, I also plan on keeping the stock thermostat. The fan speed looks like it is independently adjustable regardless of which tune is installed.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I don't know what settings are best, I also plan on keeping the stock thermostat. The fan speed looks like it is independently adjustable regardless of which tune is installed.
I looked briefly last night and the Diablo forums and there's been some discussion on this. I'll dig in further when I have more time...may try to knock this out this weekend.

I have a huge ass crescent wrench originally purchased to remove the fan clutch on my 04 Dakota.....be nice to actually use it again. lol

MikeEMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I got my tuner last night and applied the 91 octane tune and set the AC fan to come on at 203 at every setting (AC on/off and every speed level) just to be conservative. Went for a drive to heat it up and the temperature was stable at 203/204 which is right around what I saw before removing the clutch fan. I did see a couple spikes to 206 but that's not abnormal and it came right back down. Temp was also stable while stopped at lights. Very happy with how the truck sounds without the clutch fan and doesn't hurt to have a little extra power.

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is there fan adjusting with the bullydog?

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

MikeEMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what I was afraid of. If only I had known I wouldn't have bought this bully dog compared to the diablo and I'm not dropping the money to get it either. Just can't do it

Yeah I don't think it would be worth it to switch tuners just to gain fan adjustment, especially in the 2015+ case when you have to add a new PCM to the equation.
I've definitely enjoyed not having that clutch fan on, the MDS off completely and some added responsiveness, so worth it coming from no tuner at all.

dhows31

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I don't think it would be worth it to switch tuners just to gain fan adjustment, especially in the 2015+ case when you have to add a new PCM to the equation.

I've definitely enjoyed not having that clutch fan on, the MDS off completely and some added responsiveness, so worth it coming from no tuner at all.

I agree with going form nothing to a tune it's a big difference. I have a 12 so no PCM problem for me I'd just be out a couple hundred bucks on selling the BD and buying the new one especially with the custom tuning.

Last edited: