Dumb ME... I poured wiper fluid in the rad tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After reading a post on here about BLUE stuff Vs ORANGE stuff in the washer fluid tank, I thought I would check the level in my '14 Hemi 1500...

Nice little dip stick in that tank I thought... I pulled it out and poured 1/2 gal of blue stuff into the reservoir. Turning to close the lid I see another YELLOW lid on the right and realize THAT IS THE WASHER FLUID TANK!!! I poured blue stuff into the RAD tank.

First time to do this on my new to me '14 (Aug 2016 purchase).

Anyone think I need to drain the rad???

BTW... I saw nothing on the dipstick to tip me off the fluid was NOT washer fluid. Dipstick was DRY.

I really feel stupid...

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
If you haven't run the truck you should be okay to just drain the overflow tank. Nothing got past the radiator cap.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
This is the second thread that's been started where this has happened. You're good if you didn't run the truck, just pull the tank and dump it out.

oe542bob

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi eTorque 5.7
If you haven't started it, just drain the radiator. Refill with coolant.
Don't feel bad though. Have had some stupid me moments too. Like hooking up my battery cables backward on my lawn tractor. Couple of hundred dollars later, all good again.
Next, recently put a Fumoto drain valve on my truck after the first oil change. Had these before and never any issues. But this time I put a snug fitting rubber cap on the nipple that you put a drain hose on. Filled the crankcase with oil, started truck, looked around the filter area and under the truck for leaks. None seen. Couple of days later, went for a 25 mile round trip. All is fine. Late that afternoon, drove about 25 miles one way. As I was pulling into a parking spot, I saw I just lost oil pressure!
First I thought, maybe the sending unit. So as I'm sitting there, I decided to look under the truck. You guessed it, the rubber cap came off and I had never closed the valve!! Oil was still draining, so I reached under and shut the valve. Lucky it didn't happen as I was driving down the highway as I just may have ignored it.
Feel any better now? HaHa!

Moab_Rockstar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 2500
Engine
5.9L
It's okay man. We had someone at work, on a test trip, put engine coolant in the washer bottle, and washer fluid in the radiator. It was a cold trip, so after sitting overnight, the radiator was partially frozen up. The windshield washers sprayed nice though. :eek:

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As others have said, just dump out the coolant overflow tank. But Don't worry about it if you have been driving the truck. Washer fluid is basically alcohol and water at it won't hurt the truck.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ALWAYS get nervous I am going to do this on my truck even though I have poured washer fluid in it over a dozen times

OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Washer fluid is basically alcohol and water at it won't hurt the truck.

Thx ExpressRules

that was the answer I was looking for.

When this mixup happened it was late, I panicked and came in to post, so I did not drive the truck. I am adverse to crawling under the truck anymore, and taking off the underhood cover that protects the rad and tanks was as difficult as I wanted to get. I dugout my old vacuum pump brake bleeder and stuck the hose down the tank. I was able to recover probably greater than 90% of the ABOUT 1/2 gal I dumped in there... I then followed with a quart of clear water which I also pumped out... SO I believe I am good to go.

thx all for the help...

and Pull Ya-Jay, I don't have big balls anymore just old grey saggy balls and need all the help I can get from the experts on this forum for my new to me toy...

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
OP
OP
rsdata

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For even more peace of mind consider adding a bottle of "rmi 25".

I did that... sounds like good stuff. Waiting for it from amazon...

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did that... sounds like good stuff. Waiting for it from amazon...

Yeah, can't hurt.
But do not just add it to the reservoir.
With cold engine, open the radiator cap, suck out enough coolant to pour in your rmi 25.
8oz should be enough.