edge EVO HT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hxcburrito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i bought this tuner last week, and the first thing i noticed is the manual has a different description for my options. email tech support isnt to helpful, but the phone support is.... but i wanna hear personal thoughts and opinions on this tuner

09 1500 trx4

my options are:
Extreme
Race
Heavy trailer
87 octane
Economy

the only real answer ive received so far is when im towing my TT (4600lb dry) to try heavy tow or use 87 octane (via phone convo) they did try to explain the rest of the tunes via email, but it didnt make sense to me ( could be my fault)

my tires are 20's also, the manufacture sticker calls for 17's.....
should i use the advanced tune to change this?

im running 93 octane in my truck also

and, along the same topic, my buddy has a 2014 and is wondering about a chip instead of a programmer. i guess he just wants more power in his big horn

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
You should look and see what each tune level requires for octane. These aren't like diesel trucks where you can switch to a high level tune whenever you want. You need to run the required octane for each tune level.

You don't need to change anything for the wheel size. Only if you buy a larger size of tire.

For your frield I'd recommend a Diablo tuner with a Hemifever custom tune. Those tuners are getting the most power out of these trucks.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
pretty sure the EVO is same as Superchips. Casing is the same. Extreme and Race may call for higher octane and shift points may be different. This is just speculation. I had a Superchips tuner twice and I'm going off what it did for me.

OP
OP
Hxcburrito

Hxcburrito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should look and see what each tune level requires for octane. These aren't like diesel trucks where you can switch to a high level tune whenever you want. You need to run the required octane for each tune level.

You don't need to change anything for the wheel size. Only if you buy a larger size of tire.

For your friend I'd recommend a Diablo tuner with a Hemifever custom tune. Those tuners are getting the most power out of these trucks.

all say 91 or higher except for the 87 octane level.

from what im gathering out of the email chain i have going, extreme is the same as performance. they're saying i can daily drive in any mode as long as i have the right octane in. ive used heavy tow and 87 octane. it was a quick trip i did with my trailer, so im not sure about any MPG, but it did seem like the truck accelerated quicker with the tune. im not noticing much of a diff with the economy tune, but im assuming that because my ride home has been all stop and go traffic all week.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
all say 91 or higher except for the 87 octane level.

from what im gathering out of the email chain i have going, extreme is the same as performance. they're saying i can daily drive in any mode as long as i have the right octane in. ive used heavy tow and 87 octane. it was a quick trip i did with my trailer, so im not sure about any MPG, but it did seem like the truck accelerated quicker with the tune. im not noticing much of a diff with the economy tune, but im assuming that because my ride home has been all stop and go traffic all week.
Well if all say 91 or higher you WILL do damage to the truck if you don't use 91 octane. That will cause knock in the engine.

If the tune calls for 91 octane, I'd definitely run 91

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hxcburrito

Hxcburrito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if all say 91 or higher you WILL do damage to the truck if you don't use 91 octane. That will cause knock in the engine.

If the tune calls for 91 octane, I'd definitely run 91

im running 93 right now

my options are 87, 89 & 93 here in michigan. the edge tech said the 93 will be fine, as long as i use at least what the tune says

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
im running 93 right now

my options are 87, 89 & 93 here in michigan. the edge tech said the 93 will be fine, as long as i use at least what the tune says
Yes exactly, you can run higher octane fuel on lower octanetunes, just not the other way around. I thought you were planning to run 87 on tunes requiring 91+ octane lol!

OP
OP
Hxcburrito

Hxcburrito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im sure there are people out there that will try that...especially since its at least a .40 cent diff in price here between the 87 and 93

and, im not going to do anything to possibly void out my warranty.... (dealership said they would be fine with the programmer)

i think im going to try the race or extreme next week. trying to figure out which mode i like the most, or benefits me the most

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I'd send it back and get a Diablo with a custom tune. Hands down the best; custom tune for the engine and tranny make for a Huge improvement.

OP
OP
Hxcburrito

Hxcburrito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd send it back and get a Diablo with a custom tune. Hands down the best; custom tune for the engine and tranny make for a Huge improvement.

im not sure if i can return this. summit has some fine print about opened software cant be returned. i would assume this would fall under that category.

i went with the edge because it had straight up preset tunes, such as the tow..... unless i did my research bad, i thought diablo was all advanced tuning

the diablo was recommended to me, but even the guy said it might have been to advanced for me..... (im not very mechanical)

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Diablo has pre set tunes that are fairly good but custom is far better. I'm not very mechanical either or tech savvy but the diablo is very easy to use. I tried the superchips first and never got it to work so it went back for a refund then picked up the diablo and am very happy with it. I guess it depends on how far you want to mod your truck. If you plan on beefing it up then diablo is the way to go.

OP
OP
Hxcburrito

Hxcburrito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
WhI have do you have?

What's going to be the difference between a hand held and one of those dash mounts?

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks of having this, and I haven't noticed a difference yet, othe then the quicker acceleration while towing.... maybe it's to early.....

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
WhI have do you have?

What's going to be the difference between a hand held and one of those dash mounts?

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks of having this, and I haven't noticed a difference yet, othe then the quicker acceleration while towing.... maybe it's to early.....

I went with the Diablo T1000, it has racing modes so you can do 1/8 - 1/4 - 0-60 and 0-100 and log your time. It has monitoring and logging functions for custom tunes. It really is the best you can buy. They also have the plug and play that is cheaper but it doesn't have the racing functions but still has custom tuning options. See the link below, it's a 60 run I pulled one night. You don't want to use this tuner for towing, stock tune would be best in my opinion. But maybe your tuner could make you a towing tune. They make your tune custom to your needs that's what's good about them. I don't tow anything so I've never asked.

http://vid296.photobucket.com/album...5-87EA-4B59-A0B7-AAC6DE61FC57_zps6xxe2rec.mp4