Eighth mile times?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Have any of you run a 1500 big horn 5.7 crew 4x4 at the track? Except for the vararam, my truck is bone stock, with 3.21 rear and the 8spd. Could any of you chime in with your 1/8th mile times? I'll be running mine at the local track soon, and was wondering what i can expect to run. By the way, its a 2016 model year.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Looking for serious answers. And i did say 1/8th mile.

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
My 06 F150 with the 5.4 triton, cat back exhaust, k&n 77 series intake and edge performance programmer, ran the 1/8th with times consistently in the 9.60's, my ram feels much quicker. Im looking for people who have actually run their trucks for feedback.

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Yes

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
I already know i will be doing a short burnout til the tires smoke lightly before staging etc. Will be leaving the traction control off also.

liftedgm1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm curious also. I'd guess mid 9's. Are you planning to launch in 4wd or 2wd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
2wd. 4wd launches arent recommended on a dry, prepped track. Both my 06 Ford and my current ram both weigh over 5000 lbs, so i let off the brakes when the last amber light is lit. It helps me cut extremely good lights. I will also experiment with automatic and manual shifting of the 8 spd. Once i have felt the truck out, and made a few passes, i will post time slips.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have the "new" Pedal Commander you might have to re-adjust your process leaving the line. With the instantaneous throttle response, if you try to leave on the last yellow light you may end up red lighting. Might be trial and error the first few times IMHO
Jay

liftedgm1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have the "new" Pedal Commander you might have to re-adjust your process leaving the line. With the instantaneous throttle response, if you try to leave on the last yellow light you may end up red lighting. Might be trial and error the first few times IMHO

Jay

I think this may only hold true if the Pedal Commander effected (affected? Hell I don't know) his idle speed. I believe it only makes a difference at the touch of the gas/throttle position. I could be misunderstanding your point though, according to my wife that happens a lot[emoji23]
I think manually shifting will hurt you, I assume you'll be running in tow mode?

liftedgm1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just happened to look at the 1/4 sticky. How are there 2 N/A 12 sec guys? Mind you I haven't done any research, but there are plenty of guys with forced induction struggling to get into 13's

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
I think this may only hold true if the Pedal Commander effected (affected? Hell I don't know) his idle speed. I believe it only makes a difference at the touch of the gas/throttle position. I could be misunderstanding your point though, according to my wife that happens a lot[emoji23]
I think manually shifting will hurt you, I assume you'll be running in tow mode?

Yes, i will be running in tow mode. As for the manual shifting part, its a test and tune night.... So i will be able to see the differences, if any, occur between the 2 ways of going through the gears.

liftedgm1982

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, i will be running in tow mode. As for the manual shifting part, its a test and tune night.... So i will be able to see the differences, if any, occur between the 2 ways of going through the gears.

Man I really don't see any benefit to manually shifting over running auto in tow mode. Not sure how many more RPMs you can gain. I appreciate you taking the time to do this. Just make sure you have EVERY change you can think of gathered up before you start. That way no regrets. Good luck brother, I hope for the best and look forward to the results.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My RAM is a different model, but I've been out to Bandimere a couple of times. Bone stock I was running 9.8-9.9's. Don't know if yours has 4WD Auto or not, but that's what mode I'm launching in. I tried both hitting it from idle and brake launching. Didn't seem to make any difference, at least stock.

I'd just let the tranny shift itself. No human is as fast as the computer. That said, this 8 speed seems to have a built in lag on shifts. Just had my tuner send me a base tune, and it's shifting a lot harder and quicker now. I'm gonna have to check with my tranny builder and see if he is doing a TCM for this thing. I have his TCM in my Jeep (NAG1 5 speed) and it makes a huge difference. But so does having his built tranny. If we don't get rained out Wednesday I'll try out the tune and report back.

wink

OP
OP
BrianandChrissy

BrianandChrissy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 big horn crew cab
Engine
5.7 hemi, vararam CAI
Very nice. Thanks for the input guys. I can see myself leaving it in full auto mode as was suggested. And yes, it does have 4x4 auto

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Very nice. Thanks for the input guys. I can see myself leaving it in full auto mode as was suggested. And yes, it does have 4x4 auto

Whatever you do,don't shift the transfer case out of 4 Auto into 2wd under full throttle,you might have issues,i speak from experience,lol. My little RCSB was almost 2/10's quicker in 2wd mode when it was stock,you just have to learn how to launch it in 2wd. They're usually faster if you don't load the convertor,as torque management starts to kick in about 1500 when you're on the brakes and gas at the same time,launch from idle is usually your best option.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My RAM is a different model, but I've been out to Bandimere a couple of times. Bone stock I was running 9.8-9.9's. Don't know if yours has 4WD Auto or not, but that's what mode I'm launching in. I tried both hitting it from idle and brake launching. Didn't seem to make any difference, at least stock.

I'd just let the tranny shift itself. No human is as fast as the computer. That said, this 8 speed seems to have a built in lag on shifts. Just had my tuner send me a base tune, and it's shifting a lot harder and quicker now. I'm gonna have to check with my tranny builder and see if he is doing a TCM for this thing. I have his TCM in my Jeep (NAG1 5 speed) and it makes a huge difference. But so does having his built tranny. If we don't get rained out Wednesday I'll try out the tune and report back.

wink

There is no aftermarket TCM for the 8 speed,but if you're tuner uses HP to tune with,he can play with the shift parameters of your 8 speed,and get it to shift at 6,000 on the 1-2 shift and upwards of 6300 on the rest of the shifts.So far 6,000 seems to be about the best on the 1-2 shift,any higher and you might hit limp mode.He should also be able to get the tranny to easily bark the tires on the 1-2 shift,and shift almost like an old mechanical tranny,very quick,but he'll have to be a fairly decent HP tuner,as it's a fairly complicated tranny program.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is no aftermarket TCM for the 8 speed,but if you're tuner uses HP to tune with,he can play with the shift parameters of your 8 speed,and get it to shift at 6,000 on the 1-2 shift and upwards of 6300 on the rest of the shifts.So far 6,000 seems to be about the best on the 1-2 shift,any higher and you might hit limp mode.He should also be able to get the tranny to easily bark the tires on the 1-2 shift,and shift almost like an old mechanical tranny,very quick,but he'll have to be a fairly decent HP tuner,as it's a fairly complicated tranny program.

Thanks for the confirmation on the TCM. It's what I suspected.

Diablosport said their tranny tuning update is just about ready. I'll believe it when I have it loaded.

But my Jeep tuner for the past 6 years is an ex DS guy. He's the one that actually wrote the canned tunes, though his tuning on the side is much more aggressive. I just got my base tune from him a few days ago. I complained about the shifting and he reduced the torque management, along with other tweaks. But it feels like it shifts much quicker now, and it definitely shifts harder. Not much point in raising the shifts points unless I move the peak power up higher too. Haven't had it on the rollers yet, but according to the specs it's at like 5600. So shifting higher would be on the down side of the power curve. Not gonna help my ETs. Unless the secs are wrong. Raising the rev limiters is all that's needed to avoid limp mode. I've been through all this stuff with my Jeep. Just trying to see where the RAM and Jeep are the same, and different. Hopefully it won't rain Wednesday and I can get some logs at the track. It's the only place I need/want optimum performance. Then Johan can dial it in.

Thanks for the info!

wink

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks for the confirmation on the TCM. It's what I suspected.

Diablosport said their tranny tuning update is just about ready. I'll believe it when I have it loaded.

But my Jeep tuner for the past 6 years is an ex DS guy. He's the one that actually wrote the canned tunes, though his tuning on the side is much more aggressive. I just got my base tune from him a few days ago. I complained about the shifting and he reduced the torque management, along with other tweaks. But it feels like it shifts much quicker now, and it definitely shifts harder. Not much point in raising the shifts points unless I move the peak power up higher too. Haven't had it on the rollers yet, but according to the specs it's at like 5600. So shifting higher would be on the down side of the power curve. Not gonna help my ETs. Unless the secs are wrong. Raising the rev limiters is all that's needed to avoid limp mode. I've been through all this stuff with my Jeep. Just trying to see where the RAM and Jeep are the same, and different. Hopefully it won't rain Wednesday and I can get some logs at the track. It's the only place I need/want optimum performance. Then Johan can dial it in.

Thanks for the info!

wink

I'm curious to see how Johan makes out on your tranny tune,he's got a bit of a rep,lol. The upper limit seems to be about 6450,but everybody is still on the learning curve for the tranny,and it seems like much more then 6,000 on the 1-2 will put you in limp mode even with the limiters raised,but like I say,it's still a learning curve for most tuners.Make sure you post up your findings with Johans tranny tuning,as there's a few of us curious,lol.