Electric fan and remove fan clutch ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hey guys and gals! anyone remove their manual fan and clutch and put in an electric one? not just the electric push fan, but a new fan as a pull fan. I hate how sluggish and noisy my girl is when she is cold, its like WOOOOOOOOOO and then 10 min later it calms down.

Any help would be great, thank you!

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't done it as yet, but from reading on here and other sites, the fan from the V6 Ram is plug and play. It replaces and connect where the electric A/C fan goes. It's on my short list of mods, but I've only had the truck a month, and the AMP running boards were first on the list.

CHIWS6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I would like to know more info on this as well

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took my clutch fan off and just used the oem 5.7 fan and it isn’t enough for towing. I was over heating on a hot summer day pulling a 3000lb trailer. For around town and racing The oem fan is enough.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First you could simply replace the fan clutch since it shouldn't take 10 min to quiet down. When I had mine it stopped almost instantly after startup.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The V6 fan is only a direct replacement on the 09-12 trucks. On the 2013+ trucks, you would need to switch your stock fan motor over to the V6 fan and shroud, and then it would be direct plug n play. If you do this, you do want to add tuning so that you can control what temperature the electric fan turns on and off at.

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
great info guys- thank you. So a v6 shroud and e-fan. Then wire it up, which i am assuming there is a sensor I am tying into somewhere? as the need for the tune to adjust the temp to come on, which I can only assume it will include coming on with the AC as well? anyone got a good source for this hardware and maybe the info on that sensor or wiring plugs? schematics? I know I can go to techauthority.com and pay the 35.00 for the weekend and get all this, but if someone has it, we can all share it, maybe kick back a few bucks?

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The V6 fan is only a direct replacement on the 09-12 trucks. On the 2013+ trucks, you would need to switch your stock fan motor over to the V6 fan and shroud, and then it would be direct plug n play. If you do this, you do want to add tuning so that you can control what temperature the electric fan turns on and off at.

How is the V6 fan + shroud compare to the regular one on 2013+? I didn't upgrade to the V6 fan and never had any temp issue.

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think he was saying with the pre 2013 you can just add the fan as everything else will work, but after 2013 you need to add the whole thing with the shroud? and then get it programmed?

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
great info guys- thank you. So a v6 shroud and e-fan. Then wire it up, which i am assuming there is a sensor I am tying into somewhere? as the need for the tune to adjust the temp to come on, which I can only assume it will include coming on with the AC as well? anyone got a good source for this hardware and maybe the info on that sensor or wiring plugs? schematics? I know I can go to techauthority.com and pay the 35.00 for the weekend and get all this, but if someone has it, we can all share it, maybe kick back a few bucks?
If you re-use the motor of the Hemi ac fan assembly - as suggested above - you'll of course keep the whole oem wiring and everything is plug & play.
You basically just change out the blades and the shroud.

The V6 e-fan (and shroud) replaces the whole Hemi ac-fan unit. The V6 e-fan is a bit more efficient than the Hemi ac-fan because the V6 engines have to rely on the e-fan only for cooling as they come without a clutch fan from factory.

I am still running the std ac-fan on my 2013 Hemi with the clutch fan removed for over a year now without any issues.
I just put in a 190 degree thermostat and adjusted the hi ac fan turn-on point with a tuner. Even in the hot Florida climate I had never a overheating problem so far. If you plan on towing heavy loads the situation might be different though.

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
David, i am keeping the efan in front and adding the V6 fan. So that's diff than what you are saying right? on my very first post i said that. So there is no plug and play when something didn't exist previously.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
David, i am keeping the efan in front and adding the V6 fan. So that's diff than what you are saying right? on my very first post i said that. So there is no plug and play when something didn't exist previously.

You can't do that,as the stock electric fan is on the backside of the rad. Look inside the shroud you'll see the stock e-fan ahead of the clutch fan. Before you spend money on the V-6 fan try it first with just the clutch fan removed and the on/off settings adjusted via a tuner.Lots of us are just running the OEM electric fan with no over heating issues,don't buy the V-6 fan till you see if you have heat issues.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it could be done, but you'd need separate wiring and controller for the second fan. Much easier to just replace the AC fan.

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That just complicates matters and I don't see any sense in that.
It's like adding a 25hp outboard engine to a johnboat and keep the 5hp engine it was originally equipped with to run both engines while underway. :roflsquared:
No gain here either...

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
WTH!! is a puller fan on the inside of the shroud? I thought it was a pusher fan on the outside of the radiator? Well crap. that makes no sense now.... who wants to go from 2 fans, one electric one mechanical, to just one electric- if it breaks down, you are down. Dang it! I used to have a SIlverado that had side by side electric fans. One was AC and one was normal driving. Anyone done that yet? it came with its own shroud.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I'll try to explain this a little better. Your truck has an electric AC fan behind the radiator an a mechanical clutch fan secured to the water pump pulley. When you remove the mechanical clutch fan, you are then relying on the electrical AC fan to cool your motor. The stock Hemi fan blade measures 19" and the V6 model fan measures 22". While many guys have had no issues using the stock Hemi Fan, the V6 model fan will cool the motor easier, and it has its own dedicated shroud with a mount for the upper radiator hose. Using the V6 fan clears up a lot of space under the hood by allowing you to get rid of the bulky stock fan shroud. On the 09-12 trucks, you can just remove the stock AC fan and plug in the V6 model fan. On the 2013+ trucks, the electrical connectors are different, so you have to use the motor from your stock Hemi AC fan and just bolt it up to the V6 fan blade and shroud. I do recommend a cooler thermostat and tuning to control the fan because you are now relying solely on this 1 electrical fan.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
WTH!! is a puller fan on the inside of the shroud? I thought it was a pusher fan on the outside of the radiator? Well crap. that makes no sense now.... who wants to go from 2 fans, one electric one mechanical, to just one electric- if it breaks down, you are down. Dang it! I used to have a SIlverado that had side by side electric fans. One was AC and one was normal driving. Anyone done that yet? it came with its own shroud.

I think it's going to be easier to just replace the clutch/mechanical fan than try to retrofit an efan in its place, plus it would need a sensor inline somehow so it knows when to activate. The only other way to put an efan in there is to remove fan,clutch, and shaft to fit. Then you'll need to wire a manual switch to turn it on when temp starts rising. I don't think it's worth it, I'll just replace clutch.

I had an old beater for my first vehicle and I had to run a switch for the fan cause it wouldn't come on. What a pita that **** was try to remember to turn it on when I was driving around lookin for women when I was 17 so I wasn't paying attention to the temp gauge. Guess how many times I overheated the engine lol.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I think it's going to be easier to just replace the clutch/mechanical fan than try to retrofit an efan in its place, plus it would need a sensor inline somehow so it knows when to activate. The only other way to put an efan in there is to remove fan,clutch, and shaft to fit. Then you'll need to wire a manual switch to turn it on when temp starts rising. I don't think it's worth it, I'll just replace clutch.

I had an old beater for my first vehicle and I had to run a switch for the fan cause it wouldn't come on. What a pita that **** was try to remember to turn it on when I was driving around lookin for women when I was 17 so I wasn't paying attention to the temp gauge. Guess how many times I overheated the engine lol.

This is incorrect. Read my post directly above yours. Its plug-n-play and we can control what temp the efan turns on and off at with a tuner. No switches, relays, or fabrication is needed for this. The efan also turns on automatically with your AC as well.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I'm getting conflicting statements from multiple mechanics and your info sounds more logical than what I've been reading. Thank you.