Electric fan and remove fan clutch ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
lol, wild one- you are the best. Your wife's challenger has the same dual fan setup i found on the charger. Thank you- that sold me on doing that upgrade! Now I do see some with just one big fan, as well, but the 2 fans is also an option, especially on on the SRT.

I am sure its very close to plug and play with the AC fan hook up already. I am doing the research now.

Thanks guys! I will report back once I am done and send you some pics.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
lol, wild one- you are the best. Your wife's challenger has the same dual fan setup i found on the charger. Thank you- that sold me on doing that upgrade! Now I do see some with just one big fan, as well, but the 2 fans is also an option, especially on on the SRT.

I am sure its very close to plug and play with the AC fan hook up already. I am doing the research now.

Thanks guys! I will report back once I am done and send you some pics.

Nope it's just a single fan,it's different then the Chargers set-up,and it actually doesn't turn on till around the 212f mark RG,that's why I think you're worry'ing more then needed.Personally I think you should try it first with the V-6 fan shroud ,and work from there if it does run hot.

Goose_1327

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Subscribed! Looking for more info on this dual fan [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I am set on the dual fan system that is in the earlier link I posted. I won't be able to get to techauthority.com and print out all the diagrams before this weekend, but i will post again when I have more information. I just can't wrap my head around a V6 fan setup or having to change out fan blades. I want something easy- bolt in, maybe some wiring, so plug or pigtails, and maybe a sensor change or tune. So then when and if those fans fail, they are MOPAR, and I know instantly where I can get them again. If I didnt post the MOPAR setup, I will find that part number and post it.

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not sure how you guys were about to run the oem ac fan without the shutters and clutch fan and keep the temps in control. I pulled a 8.5x16 haulmark v-nose trailer from Salt Lale to Boise on September 3 and had a hell of a time keeping the coolant and trans temp down. I had the coolant temp alarm go off once on a big hill and oil remained around 250-260 the whole way. I had to put the clutch fan back on to get the temps under control.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I pull a 7800lb truck/trailer with my 2015, and havent had any issues with cooling. I'm running the stock AC fan with a 180 stat and the grille shutters removed. Its not exactly cool down here in South Texas, but it is fairly flat ground though.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pull a 7800lb truck/trailer with my 2015, and havent had any issues with cooling. I'm running the stock AC fan with a 180 stat and the grille shutters removed. Its not exactly cool down here in South Texas, but it is fairly flat ground though.

Hmm that is weird since I had the same setup but had some pretty big hills to go up and the trailer was empty so maybe 3000lbs. Even once I put the clutch fan back on and climbing hills the coolant temps were down around 210-220 and oil temp was still around 240-250. Outside temps were mid 90s.

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Moe, is your hemi the same generation or build as ours? what about the actual transmission, don't you have a 6 speed and we have an 8 speed? We have a Ram club up here and I have been asking around and the shutter thing doesnt appear to be an issue, open or removed, the air is the same pretty much, but there is a limit to how much air that AC Fan can move.

Also, outside air temp- mid-90s West said, that is what i am saying - mountains, up and down like where I travel. The physics of adding 50% more weight to the vehicle, and then going uphill, can now double, if not triple the load on the engine. There comes a point where the AC Fan air volume is eclipsed by the ability of the water to air cooling exchange. My point is flat areas, aside from stop and go, or on-ramps, most of the time the RPMS are 2K, but hill driving, has to have the average RPM 3K if not more.

But you said you tow 7800lbs? so that would be almost the same thing, so is there a difference in your setup than ours?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
My truck is a 2015 crew cab 4wd with the 8sp and 3.92 gears. Truck has an intake, ported throttle body, catch can, 180 stat, clutch fan removed, and Hemifever custom tune. AC fan is set to turn on at 185* in the tuning. Our normal summer day temps range from 95-105* with heat indexes pushing 110-115*.

My only advantage is the flat ground. We do not have any mountains where I live, so my truck regularly stays at 2000-2500rpm while towing. I also dont drive more than 70mph with that much weight on the back.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So with the V6 fan shroud installed could you still fit the clutch fan? I am thinking about doing this mod but only if I can put the clutch fan back on when I’m towing.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had the V6 Efan on my 2011. I bought a genuine Mopar. No issues with towing all over South Florida. The V6 fan is a great plug and play unit. You can get an adapter so you don’t have to change the motor. Don’t over think it, it’s way easier than you think.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So with the V6 fan shroud installed could you still fit the clutch fan? I am thinking about doing this mod but only if I can put the clutch fan back on when I’m towing.

The shroud is different so there would be no point in installing the clutch fan. It would not be able to suck through the radiator anyways.

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry Moe, i saw you had that 2011 on your avatar. Didn't know if that was the vehicle in the discussion. I wonder, does that Hemi tune make it run more efficient, in that it runs cooler because of it? I know when the timing is off in the old days you can overheat your ride, but does the tune make it cooler as well? thats new to me.

West - the V6 Fan option I have read works for a lot of people, I would even say 85% of the people love it. I have been to diesel ram sites, ramforumz, anywhere I can find and read about this. Now that 15% who don't love it, are pissed. Melted wires, overheating on the highway, or in traffic, all kinds of crap. Granted some of them probably should never have attempted this upgrade if they are melting wires.....lol... but no one should overheat. One guy in TN I read overheated in the Smoky Mountains.... so it seems mountains or landscape and altitude are playing a big part of this solution when towing.

I am trying my butt off, but cannot find anyone in a super hot climate like were I drive that has done this.... probably because you don't fix what isn't broken when its 115 outside? IDK.

Everyone- thank you so much for your help on this thread. I found out what I needed to know and if I can get out of driving to Phoenix monthly or use another car, I will just do the V6 E Fan. But for that trip in the summer with my Ram, I am still going to check out that dual fan solution and post the project here as I think some other guys are also interested. For the price of the fans- under $200 and it comes with the shroud, no need to change fan blades, this might turn out to be the new normal solution too! who knows!

Right now I know one fan is going to be wired up just like the AC fan, the other fan I am going to use a fan controller for, or maybe drill and thread a temperature sensor into the Rad, or somewhere, IDK yet. they are both variable speed fans so it would be a waste to just throw it on a rocker switch or wire it straight, and I am not ghetto like that!

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would throw a 2 position switch in so you can turn the fan to just on high or leave it to the thermostat to control it.

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There are 2 fans.... one thermostat controlled and one when the AC comes on?
I want to avoid any manual switches- if someone other than me every drives it, they will have no idea what it does or when to turn it on and I don't that hassle of worrying about that.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Manual switches on a cooling system are bad. Too many chances of someone forgetting to turn it on, or not turning it on it time.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Manual switches on a cooling system are bad. Too many chances of someone forgetting to turn it on, or not turning it on it time.

That’s why I said 2 position. First position is thermostat. Second position is on constant. No off selection