Electric fan and remove fan clutch ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just installed my V6 E-Fan on my 2014 on the weekend. Was super easy and all plug & play.

I'll be posting up a HOW-TO YouTube video on the install this week once I edit all the footage. Will be nice to finally have some good info on this.

Oh and climate is SoCal so torture test will definitely be in this climate. I will say when it kicks in this fan moves a TON of air. Temp falls super quick when it kicks in, I don't think cooling with this fan will ever be an issue.

Just have to figure out the Hi/Lo speeds this fan has as the dan connection is a 3 pin but the truck side is only 2 pin.

Are you going to be doing any towing tests by chance? That is where I think you will start seeing over heating issues.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you going to be doing any towing tests by chance? That is where I think you will start seeing over heating issues.

I totally agree that towing would be where this thing would show an inadequacy if it was going to fail and that was my biggest concern. Honestly though if you felt how much air this damn thing moves when it kicks in, there is no doubt in my mind it will be more than sufficient. This thing pushes a serious amount of air!!!! In the short term I don't have any towing requirements but I do at some point plan to have a 24ft enclosed trailer to tow my ACR to the track so it is definitely going to be a requirement.

I have my OEM fan stuff on deck in case it is an issue but honestly I don't think I will ever need it...

One of the issues is many people are instlalling OEM REPLICA/KNOCKOFF V6 fans. I installed the OEM Denso unit. Having an aftermarket one could possibly under-perform compared to an OEM.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I will be curious how it works for you. I tried to remove my clutch fan and just use the oem efan on my truck and it wasn’t enough when pulling a 20ft enclosed trailer here in Idaho in the summers. I am just worried that even if you do put the oem V6 fan on it it still won’t be enough and my thinking is if it was enough then why didn’t dodge do this in the first place?

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea I will be curious how it works for you. I tried to remove my clutch fan and just use the oem efan on my truck and it wasn’t enough when pulling a 20ft enclosed trailer here in Idaho in the summers. I am just worried that even if you do put the oem V6 fan on it it still won’t be enough and my thinking is if it was enough then why didn’t dodge do this in the first place?

Yeah that combo you tried wouldn't be sufficient. The V6 Efan has a different motor (I compared denso part #s) and also the fan shroud is necessary to effectively pull the air and channel it through the radiator itself. I do a side by side comparison of the V6 and V8 E-fan and there is no comparison. The V6 unit trumps the stock v8 unit.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Can I get some input guys are these temperatures normal compared to what you see? I am almost done with the wiring research on the fans, but i got sidetracked with this oil cooler stuff....

You want your oil temps to get over 212 to burn off any condensation. Your temps are perfect

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah that combo you tried wouldn't be sufficient. The V6 Efan has a different motor (I compared denso part #s) and also the fan shroud is necessary to effectively pull the air and channel it through the radiator itself. I do a side by side comparison of the V6 and V8 E-fan and there is no comparison. The V6 unit trumps the stock v8 unit.

Is the 2014 V6 efan plug and play for the 2014 V8? I thought I read somewhere that the connector was different for the two.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the 2014 V6 efan plug and play for the 2014 V8? I thought I read somewhere that the connector was different for the two.

You are correct. The 09-12 V6 fan is plug and play for the 09-Current 5.7L 1500. These all use the square style connector

The 13+ V6 Fan has a different oval style connector.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are correct. The 09-12 V6 fan is plug and play for the 09-Current 5.7L 1500. These all use the square style connector

The 13+ V6 Fan has a different oval style connector.

Ok good to know. Where did you buy your V6 fan?

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its a 106* out today here in LA. Still have the factory tune in it. OEM 09-12 V6 fan in my 2014 and no overheating.

A/C blows ice cold and is much cooler than it was with the factory mechanical fan. This thing WORKS!

Will report back after the rush hour stop and go commute this afternoon but don't have any doubts.

With A/C off the temp will creep up to 220* before the computer turns the fan on but if you have A/C on the truck stays cool. I have a Diablosport tuner on the way to lower the fan ON temp soon.

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Its a 106* out today here in LA. Still have the factory tune in it. OEM 09-12 V6 fan in my 2014 and no overheating.

A/C blows ice cold and is much cooler than it was with the factory mechanical fan. This thing WORKS!

Will report back after the rush hour stop and go commute this afternoon but don't have any doubts.

With A/C off the temp will creep up to 220* before the computer turns the fan on but if you have A/C on the truck stays cool. I have a Diablosport tuner on the way to lower the fan ON temp soon.

Keep us posted Boosted. And if you still are doing that youtube video, share it! i am going with a 2 fan solution like my Charger has. One fan wired up straight, just like you did, and the other fan set with a fan controller and a separate temp switch to come on at 180. no need to program or tune anything is my plan, so that way the dealer can never mess up my settings. The cost of the fan controller is probably offset by the tuner, and my dual fans are pretty close to the same price as a quality Denso V6 fan. But in the end, there will be a 2 fan solution controlled by a temp switch and a temp switch/AC. I am using a relay with the controller and 2 diff circuits so i don't melt down anything with the draw of 2 fans. Then the oil cooler, oil thermostat solution with the relocation kit.

Going to spread this out so I am done by Christmas, might get an oil filter for a stocking stuff lol! so that way when summer is back, I am ready!

OP
OP
RamGirl76

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
NP. Good Luck!!

Nutshell, how much was your ARE cap? can you send me some pics or give me some more info on that? i read about some guys who wanted to convert their rides into Ram Chargers and make like an SUV - like an expedition rear end on top of stretching the truck. it sounded amazing, but a topper is a good solution for pennies compared to what they are talking about to keep stuff safe and dry.

Nutshell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Nutshell, how much was your ARE cap? can you send me some pics or give me some more info on that? i read about some guys who wanted to convert their rides into Ram Chargers and make like an SUV - like an expedition rear end on top of stretching the truck. it sounded amazing, but a topper is a good solution for pennies compared to what they are talking about to keep stuff safe and dry.

Love my ARE cap. It was around $2400.00 painted and installed. Its an ARE Z Series. Very modern SUV look, the dog loves riding back there and it keeps my tools and gear safe and dry.