Which Engine choice is better for Idling for long periods? (Gas Usage/Overheating)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hey folks, new here. I always wanted a 1500 ever since I sat in one way back in 2001. I love the styling, good looking truck.

I tried to research this before posting, but I couldn't find a specific answer or much about it. Just came from the Dodge dealership here in Arizona, checked out a few and I am IN LOVE with the 1500 Crew Cab. The space in the back seat area is incredible with the seats folded up and the flat piece makes a nice flat floor. Added bonus is the A/C vents back there too. The one I'm looking at is around $29,500 2017 New.

Now here's my only concern. I spend a lot of time just sitting in my vehicle just idling, hours on end. I even sleep with it on when I travel to save $$ on Hotels etc. Not like 8 hours sleeping, we're talking 5 hours at most. I'm in Arizona, and most areas/states are quite hot. So you need to keep the engine running for the A/C to cool you.

Yes I know the dangers of Carbon Monoxide, you have to be careful. I have a sensor in my truck now.

So basically which engine option burns less fuel while just idling? And are there any issues with Overheating with these engines? I read that the 5.7 V8 has that technology that shuts off half the engine, would that be better than the V6 for idling long periods?

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure why you are idling a lot, but at 12v portable AC and extra battery will keep you cool for hours without running your truck engine. You can also use a small gas generator to power the AC.

Having an hemi or even the Pentastar only to power and alternator and AC is not the most effective way IMO

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Philip

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I'm not sure why you are idling a lot, but at 12v portable AC and extra battery will keep you cool for hours without running your truck engine. You can also use a small gas generator to power the AC.

Having an hemi or even the Pentastar only to power and alternator and AC is not the most effective way IMO

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

I'm lucky that I get an allowance from my job for gas, due to travelling. I wouldn't use those 12v or evaporative coolers either.

atrupo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The hemi MDS (multiple displacement system) only activates when driving at a high gear at low rpm. So it idles with 8 cylinders. So in that case, the V6 Is your best bet. I actually drove one today and it seemed alright on power, but I still wouldn't trade my Hemi for one. Keep in mind too that idling for long periods is hard on the engine due to a lack of oil flow, especially so in diesel trucks.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm lucky that I get an allowance from my job for gas, due to travelling. I wouldn't use those 12v or evaporative coolers either.

If only running the truck engine is your only option I would install an hour meter (the one in the EVIC is not very accurate) and would start by changing the oil after ~85 hours (equivalent to 5,000 miles at 60mph) and have your old oil analyzed. If all good crank it up to 100 hours and test again... The penta will probably be the best on consumption, but after testing both Penta(3.55) and Hemi (3.92) with the 8 spd the choice was easy and when I want to save on gas I take my motorcycle.

Personally if I was doing this a lot, I would get a 12V DC AC compressor hook to a secondary power bank. (like electric cars)

Skubasteve!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A diesel would be your best option, they excel at idling.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I don't know how much I'd trust a newer diesel with all the emissions to idle that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
These days a gas! The only diesels that can handle idling are those with the DPF and emissions **** removed.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Wtf you smokin willis?

I have. A 2014 6.4 2500 and I idle the **** outta my truck-
It's fine- the newer diesels do not like to be idle"d a lot and it is highly advised against.
My truck stats-
Idle - 420 hrs
Driving- 962 hrs
Total - 1,382 hrs
41,324 miles total.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philip

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
If only running the truck engine is your only option I would install an hour meter (the one in the EVIC is not very accurate) and would start by changing the oil after ~85 hours (equivalent to 5,000 miles at 60mph) and have your old oil analyzed. If all good crank it up to 100 hours and test again... The penta will probably be the best on consumption, but after testing both Penta(3.55) and Hemi (3.92) with the 8 spd the choice was easy and when I want to save on gas I take my motorcycle.

Personally if I was doing this a lot, I would get a 12V DC AC compressor hook to a secondary power bank. (like electric cars)

Wait, what? How is Idling 85 hours just as "wearing" as driving 5,000 miles?

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wait, what? How is Idling 85 hours just as "wearing" as driving 5,000 miles?

I didn't say that, this is just a baseline to start your UOA. Since you do lots of idling you have to measure the hours and not mileage.

OP
OP
Philip

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I didn't say that, this is just a baseline to start your UOA. Since you do lots of idling you have to measure the hours and not mileage.

Sorry, I just don't know much about cars/truck lol. I'm lucky if I can change a tire. :)

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
https://www.dieselperformance.com/s...7-2017-5-9l-6-7l-2014-2017-3-0l-ecodiesel-627

Extended idling is ****** on engines whether gas or diesel. Beyond the emmissions junk it has an effect on wear components like bearings and rings when they are under a no-load situation. That is over hundreds of thousands of miles though. I have spent many a -35°C night in my Pete and that old girl sometimes hadn't shut off for days.

Were it me- I'd opt for the ecod and investigate a high idle kit like this. See where it can be set maybe? Keeps the fluids moving and the oil in places it should be.

That said, I kind of agree with the others. Use a 12v cooling solution instead. I am no tree hugger, but that seems like an excessive waste of fuel.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Philip

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Where are you guys finding Air Conditioners that run off of 12v? And a extra car battery won't let that Air Conditioner run very long.

Please help!

7 months out of the year it's 95 degrees at night here in Arizona, so if I don't have a cooling option, I'll be dead LOL.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't know how much I'd trust a newer diesel with all the emissions to idle that long.

These days a gas! The only diesels that can handle idling are those with the DPF and emissions **** removed.

I have to agree. before DPF's I would say diesel hands down but with the DPF systems these days I would go gas with out a doubt. Unless you planned on doing a delete on the diesel but even then with all the crap they are putting on these new diesels I would probably just stay away from diesel unless i needed to tow heavy and often. I am a former diesel truck owner too....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTUOlITAajs

Fun times lol

Last edited:

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have to agree. before DPF's I would say diesel hands down but with the DPF systems these days I would go gas with out a doubt. Unless you planned on doing a delete on the diesel but even then with all the crap they are putting on these new diesels I would probably just stay away from diesel unless i needed to tow heavy and often. I am a former diesel truck owner too....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTUOlITAajs

Fun times lol

Agreed. I have heard horror stories of the dpf getting clogged from to much idling. Not a cheap fix, and something warranty probably won't cover.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
In AZ, you would be better off finding a used 3rd gen with the 5.9 Cummins. Idling won't hurt them. There has to be some that out there that were only used as a daily driver.

OP
OP
Philip

Philip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
In AZ, you would be better off finding a used 3rd gen with the 5.9 Cummins. Idling won't hurt them. There has to be some that out there that were only used as a daily driver.

I basically need a truck that can serve as a part time apartment. Can this RAM handle it?