Engine dies immediately after ignition & won't crank afterwards.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dual 14 rams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Truck seems to run fine. But periodically it will shut off after ignition. It is completely spontaneous and goes long periods of time without doing it, then it will take spells & do it multiple times in a day or throughout a few weeks.

After it shuts off the instrument cluster stays lit like it were running but all of the gauges are dead, the message / setup screen is blank & none of the indicator lights are on. The radio plays & the windows roll down but there is no power to the ignition switch. If you try and turn the motor over the starter doesn't engage and nothing happens.

At first I just had to turn the ignition off and wait it out and after a few minutes the gauges would come back to life and the truck would run fine. After awhile I figured out that removing the key and locking, then unlocking the truck with the key fob, that it would in a sense reset whatever is messing up & I wouldn't have to wait for it to do it on its own. Although sometimes it would just shut back off & I would have to repeat the process from "stall to finish" a couple time before it was good to go.

It has been back to the dealership three times and they tell me that there is nothing they can do if they can't duplicate the symptoms while they have it, because they can't fix what they can't see. I also sent them a video of what is happening when it happens and still they don't have any ideas. I just rolled over 36,000 miles & I'm worried they are going to try and put the cost back on me if something breaks down.

Is anyone else having this kind of trouble?

2014 2500 ram 6.7L Cummins 6 speed manual

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Send the dealer a letter detailing the issue and the date it originally brought to their attention and how you want to ensure that if they can't figure it out prior to the warranty period ending that your claim will not be denied since it was reported. CC the regional office for Chrysler so they also have documentation of the claim.