Engine light on with bad battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoatRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
So last night my battery wouldn't turn the engine over, had to get a buddy to come boost me in the grocery store parking lot before my groceries started to melt. After he boosted me, the engine light was on, but no gauges displayed a problem. This morning it took every last iota of juice in the battery to crank the truck so I could get to work; the engine light stayed on. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm hoping it was just my battery that came with the truck 3 years ago finally quitting and it just acknowledged an electrical issue with the light.

2013 Ram
4.7L v8
K&N filter
Flowmaster 40
IG- the_sneauxman

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Low battery voltage will set a code, so that's likely why the light is on.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It likely is codes when the truck tried to start and failed. Such as timing or injectors. Clear them and move on.

OP
OP
GoatRider

GoatRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
Put a new battery in and the light went away. Cool beans. Thanks for the input guys

2013 Ram
4.7L v8
K&N filter
Flowmaster 40
IG- the_sneauxman

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Put a new battery in and the light went away. Cool beans. Thanks for the input guys

I wouldn't be so fast to say "it's fixed". Could be the charging system not working properly causing the low battery. If you don't have a meter to test with then bring it by your local Autozone for free testing.

OP
OP
GoatRider

GoatRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
I wouldn't be so fast to say "it's fixed". Could be the charging system not working properly causing the low battery. If you don't have a meter to test with then bring it by your local Autozone for free testing.

I put a battery tester on it and the battery tested bad as opposed to weak. My voltage gauge in the cluster reads as normal as well.

2013 Ram
4.7L v8
K&N filter
Flowmaster 40
IG- the_sneauxman