Engine Performance Stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Henny Penny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, heres the thing. I'm looking for some advice. I have never owned a hemi of any kind. An i like getting educated about things before i buy. Currently looking at a 2011 power wagon with 100k miles it has the 5.7L in it. I'm looking in what can i do with about 5k cash that I have burning a hole in my pocket. I want safe reliable power. Hopping to get between 450-500hp and good torque numbers. I know this is a big heavy truck and it won't be "fast". Its kind of a personal goal to break 450hp in a truck for me. I will tow my Jeep every once in awhile, and this truck will see off road sometimes. What mods should i be looking into? What brands are good for the hemi? An how much would each on cost. What kind of MPG's would i be looking at after?

I guess in short I'm looking to get a build plan in my head before buying a truck.

I'm up for ANY advice, love talking trucks. If you think another type of truck would be better for me let me know. I'm open to any ideas for gas or diesel. i don't want to spend over 20k for the truck tho.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well this is just my opinion as I have not actually done this to my Ram but I would say you have 2 avenues you could go. Do the engine mods heads, cam, TB and TC. That gives you about the HP your looking for plus you get new head gaskets and intake gaskets and gives you a fresh top end of you motor. The other route would be to throw on a super charger. There are many ways to look at it, but you would have to explain a little more on how you plan to use the truck. Daily driver that also tows your Jeep, weekend driver that only comes out to tow you Jeep, or lots of off-roading and towing. Personally if its a daily I would go charger, if its weekend warrior and tow truck probably engine mods. Just my two cents.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I'd go supercharger

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I would recommend staying naturally aspirated with how it sounds you plan to use the truck. I would get the heads ported, milled .030, and a spring upgrade ($2.5K), drop in a custom torque cam from Modern Muscle ($1K), run a Trinity with custom tune ($600), a set of forged pushrods ($300), and put the rest towards a Detroit True Trac and 4.56 gears or a 2800 stall torque converter. Everything else can be added on over time, like a cold air intake, exhaust, under drive pulley, e-fan swap. But if you have the money right now get the big stuff done that will add the most HP and pick away at the supporting mods.

I would advise against a supercharger because you'd want a positive displacement blower for the low-rpm torque and they don't play nice with the 6-speed trans and you'd be looking at another $3K on top of the supercharger to get a trans built up.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
IMO, you should just buy a diesel and work from there. 450hp from an NA 5.7 while still keeping good torque #'s/curve is either unrealistic or going to cost a lot more than 5k. But I'd love to be proven wrong here:)

OP
OP
H

Henny Penny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Some really good ideas. I was thinking supercharger as well,and glad someone brought it up. But I think i like the idea of rebuilding the top end first. If i went supercharger i think i would go all forage internals anyway to be safe. Which would probably end up far over my budget for now. It will be a daily driver for a few years,and a weekend warrior type off road nothing crazy though. Then probably just be use for towing and hauling as i get something more practical. Say if i go with the rebuild like you suggested. Will this hurt my MPG or help? I was thinking that the reason for MPG being terrible was b/c of the size and weight. After these mods my power should be helping more then hurting right? Now I'm not looking for crazy mpg or anything just wonder what i would be looking around. I was looking into diesel really hard and actually wanted to stay away form gas. Till i found out i could get a 2010-2011 power wagon cheaper then most 3rd gen cummins. People are asking crazy amounts of money, some 3-5k over kelly blue book on trucks with 200k+ miles. I really like the 2nd gen 2000-2002 modles, but i feel like I'm opening up a can of warms and they are still going for only 3k less then a PW. An the new body style is so nice.

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should supercharge it so we can all see haha.

OP
OP
H

Henny Penny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It would be awesome as well if anyone could suggest a shop in or near Vegas that is good with these engines. So i could go to talk take to someone face to face. Still so undecided.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO If you disregard charonblk07's advise I think your missing advise based on a lot of experience. Your truck, your call.
Jay

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I've been advised against using anything but the stock cam for towing. You're unlikely to get any more low end torque from an aftermarket cam.

If you're already looking at a 2500, just get a diesel.