Engine rattle on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I just got a new truck 2014 ram with 12000 miles...

Today I started it and heard a very short rattle and then it ran normal... I turned it off and on a couple times and it didn't do it...

Anyone ever heard of this or had this happen?

It definitely sounded different then usual but only did it once... I might just be a little paranoid my old truck had a lot of issues and I had to have it repaired a lot...

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been told that this is normal on cold starts, normally if the truck has been sitting for awhile over a couple days maybe. Mine does that too but if you start it everyday or so, you will never hear it.

OP
OP
R

ram5.7hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
I have been told that this is normal on cold starts, normally if the truck has been sitting for awhile over a couple days maybe. Mine does that too but if you start it everyday or so, you will never hear it.

Well I've had it less than a week so far and have started it at least 2 times a day sometimes more if I did running around and today it didn't do that this morning but did in the afternoon but only once

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Mine does it quite often if been sitting for a while or like on a slope, I've never liked the sound but doesn't seem to hurt anything I don't get any metal shaving when I change my oil so as long as it doesn't do it when warmed up and always goes away fast I wouldn't worry about it.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put a different brand of oil filter on it next oil change. Something to do with the anti drain back valve in the filter. I use Wix. Royal Purple is a good one too.
My truck did it after sitting for awhile, but only when it had a Mopar filter installed. That was cause I was getting free oil changes.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ what he said.. mine did this with a k&n oil filter once when I was parked on a slope.. switched to a royal purple and hasn't done it since.

CapeRR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine has done this a couple of times in the the almost two years I've had it. Some say occasional lifter bleed down or like mentioned it could be the filter in your case. I had a Wix filter on it the times it did it but the last oil change I put a Mopar on and haven't heard it yet.