Engine rough start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockycmt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hdmi 5.7
17 RAM 1500

When I start my truck after it has been sitting for several hrs (Typically over night) it sounds like the engine is starving of oil. Then it seems the oil pump catch up and it is fine. Last about 2-3 seconds. Obviously this is always the hardest on an engine but I never noticed it that noticeable on a truck. Anyone else notice it. Dealer never will witness it unless I leave it with them and I am sure they will just say that is normal as it warms up and moves fluid. But I do not like the sound.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Engine tick. What oil are you using

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine would do this a little after oil had 1000 miles or so on it. My last oil change I put PP 5/30 in with OE oil filter. Seems much better now, time will tell if that's the answer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you go over to sythetics oil thread their answer will be redline oil. I'm not 100% convinced on redline but they think it's the majic pill.

OP
OP
R

Rockycmt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hdmi 5.7
I am doing dealer oil changes. So not sure what they are putting in the truck. I will ask but all behind the curtain. I know they are changing it tho. I check it before and after the change.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea. Try bringing your own oil. The dealer oil isn't exactly the best. I'm going to change mine out soon to penzoil ultra platinum or redline depending on what I can get my hands on. Both are a lot better than factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The dealer should be using PYB (Pennzoil Yellow Bottle = conventional oil) or the MOPAR equivalent (which is also made by Pennzoil) but some dealers are using other cheap oils to increase their profit margin and screw the customers. I would find out what they have been using then consider switching to synthetic (do a little reading in the synthetic oil thread, not all of us are using Redline). Crawl under and see what they are using for an oil filter too. I wouldn't waste any time either if your truck is loud on every cold start. Mine starts up nice and quiet every time.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, not all are using redline. My biggest concern with redline is their wear numbers on their UOA'S. They have a way of explaining it but I don't know if I just quite buy it or not. For right now it's Pennzoil Platinum for me, maybe ultra if I can get my hands on some. Whenever I have the dealer do the oil change, which isn't very often, I take my own oil and filter.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Want to talk oil? Then let's get serious; check out this link below. Now has data on 203 oils tested and the list keeps growing. The guy conducting the tests is a Mechanical engineer, Member SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers), Member ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers), Lifelong Gear Head, Mechanic, Hotrodder, Drag Racer, and Engine Builder.
The synthetic oil thread is garbage and full of misinformation. Check out the link and take advice from a qualified professional.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/