engine temps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Never Summer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What averages are you guys seeing w the coolant, oil, and trans temps (8 sp)?

i have a 2014 ram 1500 big horn...im seeing my coolant anywhere from 198-210, oil 204-212, and my trans 185-195 (trans temp is normal for the 8 sp I've read)

if this has been asked before my apology, new to the forum!

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Welcome to the forum. Alot of guys on here are real knowledgeable. This is the forum to be on for the Ram owners.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

Never Summer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
:happy107:

thanks man! I'm going thru a bunch of the threads now! doesnt seem anything like the last car forum i belonged too! last one was way childish..to much bickering etc!

Welcome to the forum. Alot of guys on here are real knowledgeable. This is the forum to be on for the Ram owners.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Those are the right temps with stock thermostat....I have the clutch can delete with the v6 efan and stock thermostat and my temps run about the same! I am going to a 180 stat soon.

OP
OP
N

Never Summer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Those are the right temps with stock thermostat....I have the clutch can delete with the v6 efan and stock thermostat and my temps run about the same! I am going to a 180 stat soon.

I hear the 180 stat isn't good for the hemi? Correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
N

Never Summer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Elaborate on how it is bad.

Something to do w the engine requiring higher operating temps. Again, something I've read. Not stating it was correct. This hemi truck stuff is all new to me. I do believe the coolant is used as an oil warmer...to get it up to operating temp quicker. That being said, it is good for oil to be over 212 to boil off any impurities.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something to do w the engine requiring higher operating temps. Again, something I've read. Not stating it was correct. This hemi truck stuff is all new to me. I do believe the coolant is used as an oil warmer...to get it up to operating temp quicker. That being said, it is good for oil to be over 212 to boil off any impurities.

Well the oil temperature idea is good for any engine not just the Hemi. There is a heater and some type of regulation that keeps the engine from getting cooler than 185F. As far as closed loop is concerned I think it starts at 175F. So other than the oil temp being cooler there is no real issue with running a cooler tstat. I just change my oil a little more frequently now because of the cooler tstat. Otherwise no ill effect and people have been doing this for decades with no issue.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

Doesn't matter what motor it is a cooler one is always better.

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn't matter what motor it is a cooler one is always better.

Within reason, but the design does call it to get to operating temperature for best performance.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Within reason, but the design does call it to get to operating temperature for best performance.

Well, yeah you really shouldn't romp on your motor when its cold.

I guess I mean cooler operating temperature is always better. lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well the oil temperature idea is good for any engine not just the Hemi. There is a heater and some type of regulation that keeps the engine from getting cooler than 185F. As far as closed loop is concerned I think it starts at 175F. So other than the oil temp being cooler there is no real issue with running a cooler tstat. I just change my oil a little more frequently now because of the cooler tstat. Otherwise no ill effect and people have been doing this for decades with no issue.

Closed loop starts at 160 from what a chyrco engineer told me.