Engine ticking at low speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boostedstroker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Ya'll, my fiancée has a 2010 Dodge Ram 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi. It started making a ticking noise when you are decelerating from 25-30. It won't do it on accleration or any other speeds. It does it 80-90 percent of the time but sometimes it won't. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side of the motor. Putting it into neutral while decelerating does not change the noise elimating the drive line being suspect.

The ticking is continuous from 25-30 till it hits about 5mph. It does not seem to be rpm related as if you are in park and rev the motor it will not do it. I have checked to see if it was a loose heat shield and all were secure. I personally have never seen a 5.7 make this particular noise in the situation that it does it in. I have tried to record the noise but due to wind noise you can't really hear it. Though when riding in the passenger front seat with the window down it is very distinct. Is there any TSB's or recalls out for a noise like this? I know it's hard to give advice on describing just the noise but just trying to see if someone has had a similar problem. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be a vacuum leak

OP
OP
B

Boostedstroker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I actually replaced the passenger side cv today and while it fixed one noise that was going on it did not effect the ticking noise coming from the motor. After taking it for a drive, the ticking from the motor can be heard on both sides. I was finally able to get it on video so I am trying to upload it now so I can post it.

Check front cv joint and all u joints.

OP
OP
B

Boostedstroker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have not, I have actually been thinking about it being a exhaust leak and was thinking about running a smoke test to see if it leaks out anywhere around the manifolds.

Have you checkef it for broken manifold bolts?

Z-Rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like the MDS solenoids. Try putting it in 5th gear and see if the noise goes away. Putting the trans in any lower gear disables the MDS and the tick goes away.

My 2010 does this when I have it in Drive. Put it in 1-5 manually and it goes away.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Your first post was contradicting. Does RPM effect the sound. If it does your looking at exhaust manifold bolt or MDS related issue most likely. If RPM makes 0 difference its something like driveshaft Rear axle font hubs something like that.

OP
OP
B

Boostedstroker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well the ticking only happens at low speeds, if your going 55 mph at the same rpm that it would be at at 20mph when it ticks it does not do it. This is what has baffled me.

Your first post was contradicting. Does RPM effect the sound. If it does your looking at exhaust manifold bolt or MDS related issue most likely. If RPM makes 0 difference its something like driveshaft Rear axle font hubs something like that.

OP
OP
B

Boostedstroker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I watched some videos on YouTube and it does sound alot like the noise in this video: https://youtu.be/q0FukSKGI_0

So I think you are definitely onto something with it being the MDS solenoid's. If you turn the traction control off dosent it turn the MDS off sense it's a 2010?

OP
OP
B

Boostedstroker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Put the tow/haul mode on and drove it around for a few minutes and no ticking noise anymore. So looks like the MDS solenoid's are the cause. I have been wanting to get a tuner for my Charger to turn the MDS off so this gives me another good reason to buy a tuner! Personally I don't like the MDS system exspecially when you have any type of aftermarket exhaust. Yeah you get a bit better mpg but it's $180 for 2 oem MDS solenoid's then probably a good part of half a day to replace them. I would much rather put that $ towards a tuner and not have to worry about the MDS system anymore. I appreciate the help and input!