EOT and ECT potential problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always have my dash set to gauges... and what i noticed when watching youtube videos that peoples EOT are from 201-225. My truck when engine cold or havent started it yet, EOT will read -7 or -- and ect may read like 4... until they get above 80-100. Then once it reaches that... the tempatures are the exact same when ever the coolant changes oil changes too... never are diffrent.

Is that normal or is there a broken sensor of some sort?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My EOT is almost always about 10 to 15 degrees hotter that my ECT. I don't have an oil cooler on my truck so my oil Temps are higher than I like. If your readings always show the same there must be some type of a glitch somehow. It's strange how they show different Temps until they reach a certain point. If it's under Warranty I would have it looked at by the dealer.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most likely would be covered under the 3/36 bumper to bumper. I haven't seen anyone mention having this problem before. The oil temp and Trans temp are Two completely different sensors. Not sure how it would even be possible to always show the same temp as one another.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Maybe it doesnt have an oil temp sensor so it just reads off the coolant..? Would this effect the engine performance at all or just letting me know what the temps are?

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
as you see the truck is warmed up but when i set oil temp as a side gauge it is 0

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My best guess is that your oil temp sensor is out. I haven't done one in a Ram but they are usually not to hard to change if you can get to them It could possibly be something else going on but that would be the easiest and most likely scenario. It shouldn't effect your performance as long as your truck doesn't seem to have a problem with it not working. I would try to fix it if I were you. I am not sure where the oil temp sensor is on our trucks. I have seen them in the oil pan and in the oil filter housing on some vehicles. I would do some research and see if you can locate were it is. Also if you can locate a picture if what it looks like you might be able to find it easier on your truck. I am not by my truck right now I will look under there when I get a chance and see if I can find it. There also might be someone who reads this that knows.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That what i am thinking, and its default is going to coolant temp as a back up or something. The guy at Chrysler said if the sensor was out it would throw a CEL. Dont forget i have the 4.7 so may be different than the 5.7. hasnt worked since i got it. I switched out the Uconnect 5.0 but didnt work prior to taking that out so should effect it at all. Im going on a road trip, so it would have to happen when i got back or ill try and maybe fix it before i go. I was just wondering if the sensor would cause the engine to run a diffrent mixture or something... but it has been like this for 6k miles (once i bought the truck) didnt think about it until now

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No it shouldn't change any engine settings. It's more for driver information than anything. Remember some switches have more than just one function like maybe oil temp and oil pressure or oil level. I'm not sure about this one. As far as the C.E.L goes not saying they aren't accurate but in many cases the dealers are inaccurate. I am assuming your truck.is out of warranty. If it has been this way since you have owned it I wouldn't worry to much about your trip as long as you aren't towing. I would check underneath for anything that might look a out of place like a lose connector or a broken wire. ...ECT. I would address it when you get back and try to get it figured out. The strangest thing is it gives you a false reading on one screen and no reading on the other. With enough research you should be able to narrow it down and figure it out.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a plug that goes right where the oil filter is.. maybe that is the sensor... I have also heard that the EVIC(which i dont know what that stands for) could have a bug in it and may need todo a restart...

I always figured a reset would consist of disconnect the battery and leave it until everything is dead so about 30 min....

the local Chrysler told me to touch red and black together while unplugged which one sounds really stupid and two what will that do if there is no current...

As for the warrenty, i am out of the 3/36, but i still have 5/100

Last edited:
OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
what is also in the back of my head that may hold true... Its only an SLT. Maybe it doesnt have a oil temp sensor and for the gauge sake it is just reading coolant to fill that place, but when you go to the side gauge it wont read anything cause there is no sensor. Just like how when you customize the 4 corners aswell... there is brake Gain, i dont have a factory brake controler and it reads 0. So im also thinking its just a generic gauge unit and depending on the truck will have the correct senors and flash?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The E.V.I.C is your electronic vehicle information center in your cluster. I was going to mention that it could have a glitch as well or a possible bad connection in the plug on the back. I have heard there is a factory reset you can do on them but I haven't done it . If you search the forums you should be able to find it. It's not the oil reset it the reset to default to factory specs.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They all have the oil temp sensor. Even the lowest trim level has it.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see your in Nor Cal How far are you from Sacramento? I have an extra Premier Cluster like yours. If you aren't to far away we can plug it in and see if it works. It only takes about 15 or twenty minutes to switch them out. Then we could eliminate the possibility of it being the cluster.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I may reset the cluster. i just hate reseting things back up...
Im down in the bay, in livermore.
That sounds good, ill try reseting it, if you dont mind waiting i would love to come if reseting dosent work after my trip, ill be back end of july or August 1st ish

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problem I am actually not to far from you. I am about twenty miles south of Sac. I am on vacation first week of April so would work out fine.