Exhaust bang for buck....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need some thoughts and opinions since I need another set of them damn worthless exhaust manifolds... They run about $100 each at the dealer. I also need to extract 2 more broken bolts. (I should have replaced them all when I did the last manifolds)

But with already needing to spend $200 on manifolds that I expect to fail again, and a set of cheap BBK bottom barrel shorty heads are only $329 at summit I'm thinking of just buying those even though they are not smog legal but keep the crap manifolds for smog... Oh and get some stage 8 locking nuts.... Think its worth the extra $129 to solve the reoccuring issue or should I just stick with OEM crap? I'm on the fence, and afraid of the loss of power on the bottom being a thing.

Trapinator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would pay more just to keep from continuous repairs myself lol when was the last manifold change?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You don't want to move over to CARB headers?

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
[emoji19][emoji17]another exhaust thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
[emoji19][emoji17]another exhaust thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No an opinion on what I should do in my situation not what is the best exhaust part out there.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would pay more just to keep from continuous repairs myself lol when was the last manifold change?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think it was about 8 months ago or more

You don't want to move over to CARB headers?

No, I don't really want to put out that expense. the CARB legal shorties are 2x or more the cost and I still plan on putting on long tubes but wont be doing that till I rework the suspension and fuel tank on the frame and whole exhaust system from there. I still plan to keep the carb legal system to swap on when needed and for it to work with the changes
I could go that route and not hassle with them on smog next year and just eat the difference in cost.. just trying to stretch that dollar a bit and spend it wisely. If I didn't need to replace them again I wouldn't be thinking of buying the shorties at all

BackCountryAK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Crew Cab & 6.4' bed
Engine
I would stick with the stock logs if you plan on going back and forth for emission testing only. Getting to the exhaust manifold bolts on the stock setup and long tubes is fairly easy. Shorties would be a pain to swap on and off.
Guess this also depends though on how long you're going to wait for long tubes too.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would stick with the stock logs if you plan on going back and forth for emission testing only. Getting to the exhaust manifold bolts on the stock setup and long tubes is fairly easy. Shorties would be a pain to swap on and off.
Guess this also depends though on how long you're going to wait for long tubes too.

Prob wont get to long tubes for a year or so with the rate I'm going. Sucky thing about cali is I will need two systems...once performance and one for smog....

I just need to buy some property where smog isn't required and register m stuff there...... thats the more expensive route though :roflsquared:

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I had 2 broken bolts just like you and had the same thought. From my understanding the bbk isn't worth it. You may as well step up to jba Shorty's or get factory manifolds. My manifold was either $75 or 85.

big13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have the same problem. I ended up ordering JBA shortys, nice looking quality, might get 10-15 hp out of them.

OP
OP
R/T_Fire

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmmm, maybe I will just get the CARB compliant ones. Cause with my time to work on things, they will prob be on there for a month or two after I get it smogged every year....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye