Exhaust Bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Incredible78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the 4th Gen. 5.7 does anyone have a exhaust bypass installed and how well does it work with the cylinder deactivation? I have my MDS shut off and am just looking for some more Hemi Rumble without buying CAT back system. I'm curious for those that have a Bypass and how the sound is when the MDS activates. With the exhaust system tuned for MDS I'm looking to make sure I don't have any problems if I install a Bypass and reactivate the MDS.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is an exhaust bypass?

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
another term would be cutout

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
another term would be cutout

Wow, never in my life have I heard of someone calling a cut-out an exhaust bypass. The terminology now makes more sense.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the 4th Gen. 5.7 does anyone have a exhaust bypass installed and how well does it work with the cylinder deactivation? I have my MDS shut off and am just looking for some more Hemi Rumble without buying CAT back system. I'm curious for those that have a Bypass and how the sound is when the MDS activates. With the exhaust system tuned for MDS I'm looking to make sure I don't have any problems if I install a Bypass and reactivate the MDS.

The cut-out or what you are referring to as an exhaust bypass will create a TON of drone when MDS kicks on. It will be pretty bad and without the MDS on, the drone may still be bad.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
It sounds alright in 4cyl mode but definitely not the same as the throaty growl you want from a v8. I have always deactivated my MDS anyways because I hate the MDS transition and while I did see fuel economy increases with it in my '07 it was disabled day 1 on my '09.

Wow, never in my life have I heard of someone calling a cut-out an exhaust bypass. The terminology now makes more sense.

Better term would be muffler bypass vs exhaust bypass, but that's po-ta-to, pot-ato.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sounds alright in 4cyl mode but definitely not the same as the throaty growl you want from a v8. I have always deactivated my MDS anyways because I hate the MDS transition and while I did see fuel economy increases with it in my '07 it was disabled day 1 on my '09.

Better term would be muffler bypass vs exhaust bypass, but that's po-ta-to, pot-ato.

Again, never heard of that term lol. Its sad to say how long I have been around the automotive world and have never heard of anyone use these terms. Learn something new everyday. :favorites13:

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I researched these for a while and the only real problem I found was they all leak and makes your vehicle sound like it's got an exhaust leak when closed, unless you are talking about one you have to crawl under the truck and uncap. I would imagine that the MDS would sound like crap with the cut out open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01