Exhaust decision?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArmRippinToys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 1989
Engine
Ok guys so I originally planned to supercharge the ram when a programmer was available, but because of the other toys I want I think I'm just going to go with a cam swap. As far as exhaust only thing I have done is an exhaust shop muffler delete in which they welded in a straight pipe instead of the muffler. I'm going to get a set of JBA headers and new tips, was wondering whether I should go with a new Y pipe or whether I should switch to true duals with an X pipe, what are the pros and cons of both options?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I say keep factory specs, 3" into dual 2.5"....modify Y pipe.

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pros of the y pipe is that its easy and you're gonna be in and out of the shop with your wallet not hurtin so bad
Cons are that its not true dual

Cons of the x pipe, is it might cost you a little more and it'll probably take a longer time and there might possibly be some complications if the exhaust shop is incompetent
Pros, a little more horsepower and sound quality and its a true dual

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 - 1500 Express CC 4x2
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I can vouch for the JBA headers.

I deleted the factory Y-pipe and ran 2 pipes down to a DI/DO Borla muffler. Like true dual, without having 2 mufflers(straight through design muffler, in that each exhaust lane has it's OWN lane to flow). I didn't bother with an X-pipe.

Recommend the Borla btw...awesome sound and construction.

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
X pipe then a muffler gives more hp than with a y? I would think a y would be better...

TXKID

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
X pipe then a muffler gives more hp than with a y? I would think a y would be better...

I would think that with more room for the exhaust to flow with the two pipes instead of one would have been better, but I guess I could be wrong

OP
OP
ArmRippinToys

ArmRippinToys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 1989
Engine
I think I'm just going to have my exhaust shop do the duals with and X pipe and replace the piping from the drivers side that runs under the oil pan with some round pipe rather that the D shaped pipe that's on there now, and run the drivers side over to the shorter tail pipe and the passenger side pipe to the one that crosses over the rear axle to the Other side so both sides will be closer in length, then with the X pipe the system should be pretty well balanced and flow real well especially with the JBA headers

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I would think that with more room for the exhaust to flow with the two pipes instead of one would have been better, but I guess I could be wrong

Room to flow isn't the only consideration, though. Exhaust pulses help scavenge exhaust gasses out of the cylinders. Kind of like the wind blowing across the top of your chimney helps pull the smoke out. Cutting your exhaust system in half (no connection between the two) makes your exhaust system into two poorly timed four cylinders instead of one well timed eight cylinder.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
duals you can do H pipe or Xpipe, H offers more lowend, X pipe is meant more for mid. IMHO

OP
OP
ArmRippinToys

ArmRippinToys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 1989
Engine
Hmmm... I didn't even think about that. My goal is to have a lot of low to mid power with some top, so I think either an X or H pipe would work

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 - 1500 Express CC 4x2
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The guy who did my exhaust (who did great work BTW) said that if you are going into a DI/DO straight-through design muffler, you don't need a X pipe or anything like that...since the muffler essentially balances the exhaust flow. He also said, in my setup, that a H or X pipe or anything like that is just needlessly slowing down the flow.

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
me, personally, wouldnt do neither on a truck. Just my $.02

OP
OP
ArmRippinToys

ArmRippinToys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 1989
Engine
I probably would be better off just replacing my Y pipe and just doing the headers, I guess Im over thinking the exhaust. Its cheaper anyways.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Which is why if you go duals you should go with an X pipe

Maybe. Like everything thing else, there are trade offs. Keep in mind that the angle of blow by and moving the "chimney" up or down the exhaust trail changes the RPMs at which it is most effective at scavenging the exhaust gas from the cylinders.

On a stock or mostly stock truck, I doubt you see any significant difference over the factory designed exhaust power wise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austmurr