Exhaust and headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright so I'm looking at who has headers and exhaust. What are you running. I'm debating on arh stainless works or kooks long tubes with high flow cats and a muffler swap. Debating on flowmaster 817477 or custom carven with 2.5" tail pipes. Opinions? Going to have s&B intake. Don't want something super obnoxious. Maybe custom dual carven tr 2.5" with x pipe no resonators 5" tips. Should I keep the y pipe to 3" instead of an x pipe and do a 3" in out muffler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

doug2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the competitor series bolt on muffler right now and I love it. Its a tad loud but only when you get on it. I am also getting kooks long tubes here shortly. Wasn't sure if I was going to go do a custom true dual setup with dual carven mufflers or an x pipe with the carven muffler i have now.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the competitor series bolt on muffler right now and I love it. Its a tad loud but only when you get on it. I am also getting kooks long tubes here shortly. Wasn't sure if I was going to go do a custom true dual setup with dual carven mufflers or an x pipe with the carven muffler i have now.

I'm going to follow you and see how it turns out. I'd like a nice healthy growl and good airflow. I know the 2 1/4 pipes aren't really restrictions but I figured 2 1/2 with an x pipe to dual mufflers would be better since that's what comes off the headers and dual mufflers sounds fun saying it

Alrynate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
JBA LT Headers

Got a pair of JBA LTH for Bday. Do I need to get new catback? Only have a muffler swap at this point

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got a pair of JBA LTH for Bday. Do I need to get new catback? Only have a muffler swap at this point

You will need the jba y for the long tubes if you don't have it already.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have ARH catted headers, fitment was perfect. Also have a MF cat-back but my truck is a 2500 so not exactly apples to apples. But I would focus on a less aggressive cat-back muffler setup since you will have headers as well. Otherwise it will get loud quickly.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have ARH catted headers, fitment was perfect. Also have a MF cat-back but my truck is a 2500 so not exactly apples to apples. But I would focus on a less aggressive cat-back muffler setup since you will have headers as well. Otherwise it will get loud quickly.

That's why I was debating on the FM 817477 catback kit. Which motor do you have? Any videos of it

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's why I was debating on the FM 817477 catback kit. Which motor do you have? Any videos of it

I have the 6.4, and an MF 19200 kit which uses their biggest 3.5" muffler and a resonator. It's manageable with minimal drone but under load at part throttle you can still hear it. Nice thing about the 1500 trucks is you have a lot more options.

[yt]k8uWuJobUZU[/yt]

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the 6.4, and an MF 19200 kit which uses their biggest 3.5" muffler and a resonator. It's manageable with minimal drone but under load at part throttle you can still hear it. Nice thing about the 1500 trucks is you have a lot more options.

[yt]k8uWuJobUZU[/yt]

That has a nice rumble too it. How much did the sound change when you added the headers? My other vehicle only has a muffler swap so I'm not sure how much louder it gets

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That has a nice rumble too it. How much did the sound change when you added the headers? My other vehicle only has a muffler swap so I'm not sure how much louder it gets

No, because I did it backwards. I first added the headers, hoping that would give me a more aggressive sounds than stock. But the massive factory muffler with it's internal flapper setup was so effective it sounded almost no different at all after the header install. So then I added the cat-back.

Again, you have a lot of additional exhaust options that I could only dream about. I would suggest focusing on whatever is least likely to drone and has a sound style that you're looking for. As a point of reference to your question, I also have a 2012 Mustang GT. At first I just swapped mufflers, then later added Kooks catted long tube headers. The exhaust got much louder after the header install, so IMO it does make a big difference.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, because I did it backwards. I first added the headers, hoping that would give me a more aggressive sounds than stock. But the massive factory muffler with it's internal flapper setup was so effective it sounded almost no different at all after the header install. So then I added the cat-back.

Again, you have a lot of additional exhaust options that I could only dream about. I would suggest focusing on whatever is least likely to drone and has a sound style that you're looking for. As a point of reference to your question, I also have a 2012 Mustang GT. At first I just swapped mufflers, then later added Kooks catted long tube headers. The exhaust got much louder after the header install, so IMO it does make a big difference.

Thank you. I might try headers first hadn't even thought about that. The trucks have a nice tone to them although very quiet and headers add a little to the performance aspect as well.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The headers, along with a tune, will make a very noticeable difference in performance. I've gotten my truck down to about a 6.5 sec 0-60 with my mods and most of that came from the headers and tuning. On a 7200lb truck.

G3SRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
running ARH longtube 1 3/4", ARH ypipe with cats, carven progressive muffler, and S&B CAI, paired with tune.

mean loud cold start, deep/semi-loud during normal operation, and full V8 scream under full throttle.

definitely a power gain mod combo; just hate the drone the muffler causes between 1500-1900 rpm

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
running ARH longtube 1 3/4", ARH ypipe with cats, carven progressive muffler, and S&B CAI, paired with tune.

mean loud cold start, deep/semi-loud during normal operation, and full V8 scream under full throttle.

definitely a power gain mod combo; just hate the drone the muffler causes between 1500-1900 rpm

If possible could you post a video. And my average rpm range is 1500-1800 around town...

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
That's pretty sweet. 6.5 seconds? That's gotta be a nice jolt back in the seat
https://youtu.be/X7VYJJ6tBjU
Long tubes and Dual carven with xpipe
https://youtu.be/d8uAYA5RO-A
Arh long tubes and fm 50 cat delete and res delete.
I'd like to keep cats at least

No, the jolt comes from the Edge torque converter. It's a great mod and I would suggest that immediately after the headers and tune. Makes the truck so much more fun to drive around town.

Edit: Forgot I said that, you have the 8 speed so no converter for you:)

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, the jolt comes from the Edge torque converter. It's a great mod and I would suggest that immediately after the headers and tune. Makes the truck so much more fun to drive around town.

Edit: Forgot I said that, you have the 8 speed so no converter for you:)

Yea I was going to make that comment. I still get a good launch. I've also got the 3.92 gears instead of 3.21 so I get a jump off the line already.

Last edited: