Exhaust idea (not muffler/CB related)-read tho

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So...I know we have an over abundance of exhaust threads on this site, so I won't bore you with any of that jazz. No, mine is much different...

Let me start by saying I have the MF catback on my truck-as my signature states. Well, I now own a orange truck and the chrome isn't right. So yesterday I took the tips off, and the pips leading to the muffler...so I can get the tips powdercoated black. In other words, the cat back is nothing more than a muffler lol.

I've been driving like this for a day now and I gotta admit, the truck sounds like a ******* beast!!! MEAN and DEEEEEEP as hell utilizing the bed as an enhancement piece. I almost sport wood from the deep bass coming from the exhaust. Why hasn't anyone tried this???

Now...MDS...I will admit when the truck goes into MDS, depending on speed and how much 'bogging' into 4 its down, ranges from tolerable to OMG that sounds like ****. At 35-40 MPH in MDS and lightly tappign peddle cruising its O...K.... but if the truck starts to bog a tad before realizing it needs to switch back, OMG it is horrendous. It actually shakes the cab and gas pedal lol.

Anyways...I have a thought going through my crazy ass head...when the tips return, reinstall them but do not install the middle connecting pipe to the muffler. In other words the tips will look the part, but provide no function what-so-ever. Just looks. The muffler itself (I may dump it properly) will just be the noise maker. Obviously I will have to secure the tips better without the connection pipe in place.

Alright....thoughts??? Any one tried this? Gotta admit I'm enjoying the sound of the truck, except MDS...sounds like ass...but in 8 cylinders...like like I have a built V8 from a 426 HEMI...its DEEEEEP.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you like it, that's all that matters.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I have the same Magna flow 16869, next I upgraded to ARH long tubes. Most recently I installed a QTP electric cutout right after the y pipe. Now I have best of both worlds. Pic below, dumps right behind the quad cab under bed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same Magna flow 16869, next I upgraded to ARH long tubes. Most recently I installed a QTP electric cutout right after the y pipe. Now I have best of both worlds. Pic below, dumps **** behind the quad cab under bed.
That's pretty cool actually. Like the truck is a tad loud like this, not bad for a weekend driver but not daily, especially with MDS.
Get a tuner and turn mds off

Not spending $1000 for that ****. No thank you.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
It sucks that ram locked the pcm in the 15 so it is 1000, but I love havng the ability to custom tune and turn off MDS.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It sucks that ram locked the pcm in the 15 so it is 1000, but I love havng the ability to custom tune and turn off MDS.

Yeah it sucks alright, but nothing I can do about it. Once I get the tips back everything will be back to normal sounding :)