Exhaust mods & MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From my last experience with my 2009 RAM HEMI 4x4 when I put a MBRP catback system on the truck I ended up LOSING mpg.

Not because of a lead foot, even trying to drive like a grandma and milk it, the truck still got 1-2mpg less.

I now have the 2014 Hemi with 8spd and wondering what people are finding when they swap out the muffler with the direct fit.

I want to either put the mufflex 14" magnaflow or get the flowmaster outlaw direct bolt on muffler for the duals.

If you have either one let me know what your findings were with MPG on each kit and how was the sound or drone when cruising with a ZF 8spd. :happy107:

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My Ram only has 2200 miles on it...so its still breaking in.

I got 18mpg dash mileage and 17 actual....on a 675 mile round trip last weekend.

I have the Carven Progressive and a S&B Intake. I was hoping for 18-20mpg overall...so I may be there...but I can see that I probably lost 1-2mpg overall with the exhaust and intake. I'm not worried about it through....its the sound and the fact I own a Ram that makes it worth it :)

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
24" Mufflex. Maybe 1/2 MPG, but it does feel like it spins up faster--I get a lot more chirps from a dead stop than I used to.
With the added 5" tips it sounds just right too, without highway drone.

sjtri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 Crew Cab - Carven Progessive - saw ~1 MPG increase without changing driving habits. Didn't need to have a lead foot, sounds amazing regardless

2013 Quad Cab - 20" Magnaflow - Similar results after about 2k miles. Whether the allure had worn off and I was driving less aggressively, or if this was after the muffler break-in I couldn't tell you. But saw an increase.....well until Ieveled it and added bigger tires and heavier wheels...YMMV literally

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Carven Progressive on 2017. Noticed no difference in mpg. If anything its been hanging out a bit higher than it was before.

Bilsteins seemed to drop it a bit, but now that I put in a spacer making it have rake again it seems back up. Could be in head.

H8Train

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Ram only has 2200 miles on it...so its still breaking in.

I got 18mpg dash mileage and 17 actual....on a 675 mile round trip last weekend.

I have the Carven Progressive and a S&B Intake. I was hoping for 18-20mpg overall...so I may be there...but I can see that I probably lost 1-2mpg overall with the exhaust and intake. I'm not worried about it through....its the sound and the fact I own a Ram that makes it worth it :)

Mine is a 14 Express with 3.55, same mods with 46K on it. On long trips Ill get about the same. Highest I ever got was 22.5 on the EVIC, but really it was 19.2 worked out.

Those numbers are with MDS off. Prob be a lil better with MDS on. Either way I say its pretty good for a heavy ass truck with over 400HP.

Mods didn't seem to have much of an affect.

Only thing that seemed to really change MPG enough to notice was from when I changed from the ****** factory Goodyears to BFG KO2s. dropped prob .75-1 MPG for me. Leveling didn't have any change that I noticed.

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm wondering if these engines maybe like a little bit of backpressure. With the straight through MBRP design I had on my 09 MDS wouldn't kick in as often.

Might try the Flowmaster 14" since it isn't straight through and has some baffling.

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 5.7 8 spd and I originally had the Outlaw exhaust and loved it. I don't remember losing any MPG though. Once I installed my Long tubes with catless Y-Pipe I had to go with a 40 series Flowmaster because the Outlaw was just way to loud.

OP
OP
Boosted Motorsports

Boosted Motorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2014 5.7 8 spd and I originally had the Outlaw exhaust and loved it. I don't remember losing any MPG though. Once I installed my Long tubes with catless Y-Pipe I had to go with a 40 series Flowmaster because the Outlaw was just way to loud.

How did you like the outlaw? Thats actually the one I have my eye on since it has some baffling.

Did you have any bad drone or in cab resonance? I don't care about loud but when you are just cruising along light on the throttle and your truck is making your headspin that gets old pretty quick. :roflsquared:

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did you like the outlaw? Thats actually the one I have my eye on since it has some baffling.

Did you have any bad drone or in cab resonance? I don't care about loud but when you are just cruising along light on the throttle and your truck is making your headspin that gets old pretty quick. :roflsquared:
It really wasn't bad at all. If you are light on the throttle it can be pretty calm. And I was actually running it without the rear section so didn't have the stock resonators. You will be very happy with the outlaw.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk