Exhaust rasp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil21502

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Exhaust rasp? Which new mufflers?

So on my 6.4 I just switched from single 3" areoturbine to having the y-pipe cutout and running duals to a spintech 3000 dual in dual out with tailpipes dumped over the axle. I'm surprised with how much quieter it is and how much rasp I have when getting on it passed half throttle. Any suggestions on what to try? It sounds good under half throttle and is extremely deep.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phil21502

Phil21502

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thought about having the muffler taken out and two flowmaster super 40's on it instead.

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 3” thrush rattler that was dumped. Same sound. I then Dan a y to duals out the back with 5” tips. Sounds much better.

Very hard to get rid of rasp with a dump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
flowmasters usually wont have a raspy sound. the chambered design usually is deep and wont rasp. honestly these motors usually end up with some rasp no matter what. so most mufflers are going to still rasp, especially any straight thru design ones. Its just a matter of finding what will rasp the least at WOT

OP
OP
Phil21502

Phil21502

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what setup do u guys think would have the least rasp? Keep in mind if I replace the spintech I would go two mufflers instead of a dual in/out as it would be too hard to find another muffler that lines up the same and my tailpipes are perfect right now. I did notice a lot more low end torque since going dual and eliminating the y-pipe. The spintech sounds awesome At low speeds and while hammering it. Just that rasp right when getting on it about half throttle. Looking at borla xr-1, flow super 40's, or thrush rattlers just cause they're a lot cheaper. Thanks for any info and help.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my last hemi I had to weld in some cheap glasspacks before the mufflers, and it eliminated the rasp 100%

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had good luck with Borlas not rasping on a V6 Mustang. It's kind of tricky to get those cars to sound good, but it can be done. I'll bet the same for your truck.

OP
OP
Phil21502

Phil21502

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so after a lil over a week this exhaust has changed and gotten deeper with less rasp. I really can't believe it. Any way nick@gotexhaust how do the magnaflow 14" internal x pipe muffler's sound on these hemi's? Again it would be dual in dual out. I'm usually good for swapping exhaust yearly and wanna try the magnaflow next time. Never have ran one.