Exhaust Removed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJM94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been running my truck for a while with the exhaust removed from the muffler back. Single cab with factory duals. So it's just manifolds cats to y pipe and ends right about the cab back. All stock. I haven't noticed any issues, happy with the sound, and am not worried about tickets in my area.

My question is are these trucks alright to run like this? I figure there's still enough pipe there but maybe anyone else can chime in if they know differently? All the sensors and whatnot these days ain't like old time open headers!

Thanks
AJ

ob1sw4n

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been running my truck for a while with the exhaust removed from the muffler back. Single cab with factory duals. So it's just manifolds cats to y pipe and ends right about the cab back. All stock. I haven't noticed any issues, happy with the sound, and am not worried about tickets in my area.

My question is are these trucks alright to run like this? I figure there's still enough pipe there but maybe anyone else can chime in if they know differently? All the sensors and whatnot these days ain't like old time open headers!

Thanks
AJ

Honestly, this isn't much off from getting the Mufflex muffer delete, however you're missing about 3-4 more feet of exhaust and resonators, so I think your backpressure is going to be even less then a delete kit, so I think you'd expect a little bit more loss of low end power, but other than that its probably just fine to run like that.

Hornet

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pay attention to your E-brake cables if you're not running "turn downs".
The cables are plastic lined and won't take much exhaust heat before they melt internally and quit working.
Ask Audio1oder,he knows the price of new E-brake cables now,and how to change them,after he melted his this past week-end

Last edited:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. My exhaust was temporarily removed on the pass side past the muffler and we drove for 6 hours, and it melted the parking brake so it would engage, and not release. Had to cut the pass side with an angle grinder just to release it.
You might be OK if you install a turn-down, but I can verify it puts out a bucketload of heat, and might cause you other problems in the long run.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Thanks
AJ
Why?
Because it was there?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With the cats, you have plenty of back pressure.

All you have to worry about is what the exhaust gasses are heating up under the truck.
I'd take a straight piece of pipe and run it to past the axle and put a turn down on it.

chrisb38002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just my $.02, but I would put a turn in them and bring them out just in front of the rear tires. That would not change the sound much, and get the heat out from under the truck.
I had my 03 exhaust coming out on the passenger side like this and really like it.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 27

mattman_13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a down turn before the axle. Not a pre bought tip but I cut it so the tip protrudes down below the frame and all that pointing almost straight down at the ground. No problems yet with 5k on it. Sounds beastly and will do till I can get to an exhaust shop that I trust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01