Exhaust Smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramrod2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2009 Hemi 5.7 is blowing what looks to be white smoke out of the exhaust on start up and also when I accelerate after letting my foot of the pedal for a few seconds. The smoke does not smell like coolant nor am I losing any coolant. I am however burning off quite a bit of oil. I'm adding about a quart every few weeks. CEL comes on and goes off periodically. Its usually a P1129 code. Anyone have advice as to what I should look at to fix this smoke issue? Also, would like to know what is causing all the oil burn off.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
P1129 Description:
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) detects a condition where the vehicle has remained in open loop fuel control, from a start-up condition, longer than a calibrated amount of time, when conditions would have otherwise closed loop operation.

As far as exhaust smoke and oil loss that's potentially a different problem. You could have worn piston rings, or more likely, worn valve guides that are allowing oil into the combustion chamber.

You really haven't provided enough info to do anything but speculate.

These are some relevant questions:

How many miles on engine?
Is the engine stock or modified?
What oil weight are you using?

Technically burning oil might trigger your P1129 code via an oxygen sensor failure, but that's improbable and may be unrelated.

OP
OP
R

ramrod2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles on engine? 105,000
Is the engine stock or modified? Stock engine/no mods
What oil weight are you using? 5/w20

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
105K is not super high mileage so I'd bet its in the head somewhere.

Easy way to eliminate a piston ring is a compression check. It will tell you if you have a problem cylinder and when you shoot heavy oil in, if the compression rises its your rings. If no rise in compression when you squirt in heavy oil, you probably have a valve train related problem.

Worn valve guide is a little harder to locate, but your spark plugs may show oil fouling.

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine does the same thing sometimes.
Mine is a 2009 1500 4x4 w 5.7l and 85k on it. What I have noticed is it happens if I start my truck up and move it around. It doesn't happen if I drive it. I always start it and run it a few minutes before I drive it. In my case I'm pretty sure the cylinder is getting washed down since I am not really driving it.
Your's might be a diff issue but figured I would share my similar issue.

Could be valve guide seals but it's kind of hard to diagnose with a vehicle that has Cats. Without Cats you can tell pretty easily as there will be some blueish smoke visible on idle and when you come to a stop after a little spirited driving. A bad valve guide seal will allow some oil to get past the seal into the valve seat and then into the combustion chamber.

First thing I would do is try to smell the smoke and see if it is oil or fuel.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does the same thing depending on what gas I'm using, smokes with shell, not with bp. I just figured it was how the fuel was being burnt on cold rich starts.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Cwmgr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 2005 ram 1500 Hemi 5.7. I have white smoke coming from tail pipe but the weird thing is it only happens after I drive a little then park and leave truck running for about 20 minutes. The next time I start it will smoke . Not terribly thick but enough to notice it . Have 130k miles . Have never changed spark plugs. I know that's terrible I'm doing that tomorrow. Not overheating or having any issues besides check engine light for rear flow 02 sensor. Any help would be much appreciated. 1 other thing today filled up with 91 and didn't smoke at all. Was running 87 before

Nova John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Had a little puff of smoke after moving truck in driveway, shutting it off and restarting about 20,000 miles ago with 65,000 on clock. Put on Billet Technology catch can and never had problem again also throttle body now stays clean. Think it was oil and condensation causing smoke. Catch can removes a lot of crap, about 1 ounce of gunk per 1,000 miles, more in winter and rainy weather. Might be worth a try, it worked for me. Truck is a 2011 Hemi.