Exhaust tips and drone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can/does changing out exhaust tip change the tone of the exhaust? I had the magnaflow 18" installed on my truck over the weekend and I have a drone around 1500 Rpm's. Any ideas on how to lessen the drone?

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get it to with my Carven. When I am on the highways I just drop her into 7th and the drone is gone. That has been my fix. I just went on a 5 hour trip with the ram this recent weekend.

I learned real quick that the drone would have driven me nuts if I was not able to downshift into 7th and cruise. If I was not able to do that I would have probably taken the muffler off.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Installing a 5" tip will not eliminate the drone however it will make tone a lot lower and deeper.
Jay

OP
OP
I

icetraxx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I might have to look into the 5" tips. I've been debating on getting some black ones anyway since they are the only exterior chrome I have one the truck. I installed some aluminum shielded sound foam underneath the truck and between the heat shield and exhaust. It helped some. I might do the same on the interior. I have a hard tri-fold cover and no bed liner that is not helping things. I might have to spring for a rubber spray in liner

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a bed rug and a hard fiberglass tonneau cover and 5" tips with a 22" Magnaflow and still get some drone.
Jay

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Can/does changing out exhaust tip change the tone of the exhaust? I had the magnaflow 18" installed on my truck over the weekend and I have a drone around 1500 Rpm's. Any ideas on how to lessen the drone?
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.

Tips do change the exhaust note, but will not fix drone--that's a harmonic in the muffler, tailpipe and resonators.

In general (that's a simplification for the RF Trolls), the shorter or louder the muffler, the more likely you are to have drone.

That's not always the case, but I hear a lot of complaints from folks with 14" and 18" or shorter mufflers, and not nearly as many complaints from folks with 22" and longer mufflers--even those that are chambered.

1,500-1,800 RPM is about where my 24" gets nice and mellow.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Mufflex makes a "J" pipe to help eliminate drone

SoCal Bomber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you please explain the J pipe, is it a bolt on? Is it before or after my carven? And a silly question, do use the stock flared clamps or weld in?

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Can you please explain the J pipe, is it a bolt on? Is it before or after my carven? And a silly question, do use the stock flared clamps or weld in?
The J pipe is actually Helmholtz resonator or oscillator that when placed in line with the drone source cancels (attenuates anyway) the annoying sound waves.

The “J” pipe, traps a sound wave that usually goes into the muffler in a chamber where it self-cancels, causing reduced cabin noise without increasing exhaust restriction or diminishing tailpipe tone.

Science:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Engin...control_with_self-tuning_Helmholtz_resonators

Mufflex sells for Ram 1500 at about $175:
https://www.mufflex-performance.com/dodge-ram-1500-2009-to-present/97-j-pipe-noise-eliminator.html

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye