Exhausting!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So as you know I have a 2016 RAM 1500 4x4 regular cab full size 8' bed single exhaust 5.7Hemi. I am considering replacing the stock system with a new flowmaster 40 series one in two out and extit behind the rear wheels. Im used to the old days when this is what we did! Ive checked out YouTube for sound, who all has done this and are you happy with it? Drone? Etc. Thanks

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I did this same up on my 2005 truck back in 2005. It was an amazing sound. Little loud though for my liking. If it was a 2WD street truck... probably would have kept it.

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I bought this exhaust 3 years ago on Amazon - it was on sale.

817477-Cat-back System 409S – Dual Rear Exit – American Thunder – Aggressive Sound

All it is - 50 Series Muffler with no resonators - which is amazing.

Here are a couple 40 Series Mufflers with stock resonators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI3pngRir_U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXBE2UtcsGE

Here is a 40 Series Muffler without resonators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN6p-8htXns

Here is a 50 Series muffler with stock resonators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uiYrtVzPzQ

Here is a 50 Series without resonators (American Thunder):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_PeHLDNh00

Personally, I like the 50 series better on the Hemi. As far as drone, my exhaust is not terrible. You sometimes get a drone when MDS kicks in, but other than that, highway drone generally gets loud at 90MPH on my R/T with 3.92 gears.

Last edited:

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with the 50 series. Sounds great and minimal drone. The 40 was to loud for me on the highway, got pretty annoying....especially when towing. Got my muffler from the local shop and had it welded up and resonators removed and 5 inch MBRP tips added. Total cost 340. Way cheaper than buying the prefabbed kits that you still have to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JIMBOX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:) I've got the Flowmaster "10"/dual cat-back and by leaving in the resonators--it's a more subtle LOUD--

I'm kinda biased, I've been using the 10 for years on my jeeps/fords/Nissans-

The advantages of freeflow exhaust will give you a little better mileage and a tiny increase in power, although you can't really feelit !

Whatever

:crazy: JIMBO

OP
OP
SargeFirstClass

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As you all know, I have a 2016 Ram 1500 regular cab long bed tradesman 4x4 with hemi but single exhaust. I have scoured YouTube checking out exhaust and sounds. What is the consensus out there; a: just leave the single exhaust and replace the muffler with a flowmaster 10 or 40 and resonator delete, b: do a catback using muffler and resonator delete, c: flowmaster single in dual out with duals having turn down tips under bumper, or d: same as c but side exit tails. Muffler shop says 285.00 for c or d.

Ghetto Fab.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS!
I say leave it alone. All you'll gain is more noise and a lighter wallet. I guess I'm getting old.

Kevin

OP
OP
SargeFirstClass

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just realized I had already asked a similar question on here about the same subject. Sorry about that.

OP
OP
SargeFirstClass

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I say leave it alone. All you'll gain is more noise and a lighter wallet. I guess I'm getting old.

Kevin

Im still a 57yr old "old school" kinda guy. I want some deep noise and let the horses breath! Back in the day we either did side exits just behind the rear tires or straight out the back with chrome tips, but we did not have the big 4", etc tips, they were just a tiny bit bigger than the exhaust pipes. Looked and sounded great! Turbo's and glass packs were the thing then..............

DailyRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Weld in a Carven TR. not as loud as the R, but it should wake up the exhaust sound.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I prefer the sound of the 3" single over the smaller diameter of the factory dual since. I find it play lower compare to my dual with turn down behind the bumper.

OP
OP
SargeFirstClass

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, today when I got to the muffler shop, I decided to stay with a single exhaust. I went with a classic 40 series Flowmaster, took the resonator off and put a chrome 4" tip on it exiting in the same location as the factory tail pipe. It sounds great. Just didnt see a need to do a single in dual out when the only thing to gain doing that was sound.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, today when I got to the muffler shop, I decided to stay with a single exhaust. I went with a classic 40 series Flowmaster, took the resonator off and put a chrome 4" tip on it exiting in the same location as the factory tail pipe. It sounds great. Just didnt see a need to do a single in dual out when the only thing to gain doing that was sound.

Now go find a tunnel and floor it. That brighten my day every time.

TRXHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A tunnel!! Or underpass!! Love doing that and I am 48 years old!! LMAO

I have a Y-pipe into an 18" Magnaflow SI/DO and no resonators ending in 5" tips. Sounds real nice at WOT.

BadRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started off with a Muffelx 14" at first. But it wasn't loud enough for me. So I went with a Flowmaster 10 series with resonator delete and it sounds great. I'm used to muscle cars with no cats and 3" pipe to a 40 series Flowmaster in my earlier days. I would like to go back to this in this truck but can't find anyone that will remove the cats and run new pipe back to the muffler.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963