Expectations of a Stock Hemi Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shambo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
O.K. I have not been in the Gas performance world for a while (i was a Diesel Racer) I have a 2011 Ramp Quad Sport, Stock with a Posi installed. I tries to power brake a burnout and it really would not do it on Dry ground, but when I let off the brake I got a chirp of the tires, and yes traction control was turned off. Is that normal? Will just a programmer fix that? or what Mods has everyone done to get the low end performance increased? what are the stock Quarter times expected? And finally what will a intake, Throttle body and Programmer do for me in the quarter mile times.

Thanks In advance.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
O.K. I have not been in the Gas performance world for a while (i was a Diesel Racer) I have a 2011 Ramp Quad Sport, Stock with a Posi installed. I tries to power brake a burnout and it really would not do it on Dry ground, but when I let off the brake I got a chirp of the tires, and yes traction control was turned off. Is that normal? Will just a programmer fix that? or what Mods has everyone done to get the low end performance increased? what are the stock Quarter times expected? And finally what will a intake, Throttle body and Programmer do for me in the quarter mile times.

Thanks In advance.
mine breaks over very easy on dry pavement. 11 with a 6 speed and 3.55LS rear. if I stomp it will break loose and I'm all stock. if I power brake I can spin for a bit. I do know there is a ton of torque management in the stock tune, the hemi makes its power decently low so they granny tuned it at a lot of points. a lot of guys like the shift points of tow haul mode including me. I think intake, 89mm throttle body and a good tune should get you close to 13's pretty reasonably. hemifever tune is what I've seen guys talk about. check out moes performance for all the parts you'll need

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What gears do you have? Is your truck 2x4 or 4x4? Times vary from 12.5 to low 15's depending on mod's. Low gears and a tune will give you the best bang for your buck.
Jay

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Thanks In advance.

Traction control is never turned off (unless you have a tuner). The best you get is maybe 50%, and even then, if the rpm gets up to 3000, it will cut spark & fuel to limit wheel spin/power.

At least that is what I determined one night testing it in some snow.

jackblackjeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
2014 5.7 8speed with 3.21 and with traction control button off, they spin quite easily. However, I agree with TRCM they spinning does seem to fade out much earlier than it should. With traction control button on, it's a little chirp and then punishes me with no throttle for a few seconds.

Galion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And finally what will a intake, Throttle body and Programmer do for me in the quarter mile times.

Thanks In advance.

Since the others seem to have answered the first part I'll take this one. An intake might gain you a little bit, the biggest difference you can make will be a tuner, the most popular around here for hemi's being the Diablosport trinity with hemifever tuning. As for the throttle body, imo it's really not worth doing the throttle body without doing more supporting mods beforehand. My route personally would be Tuner, full exhaust(not just catback, the y-pipe is by far the most restrictive part on these trucks), CAI. From there you can go into deeper mods if you're so inclined. But that would be my starting point at least.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shambo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have some friends at super chips and As I understand there is torque management in the software that is causing this issue. So Programmer is on order!

Thanks Everyone!

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
canned tunes from a programmer are ok- but no where near as good as a custom tune from hemi fever or jay greene. I am not sure if either of them support the " super ships" programming but I know they support the Diablo platform. Personally you may want to go with Diablo for this reason alone.

Reactions: SyN

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the programmer will give you most bang for your buck!

Reactions: SyN

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Superchips is not custom tunable unless his friends are able to get him a 1 off tune. I know they used to do that for a few of their locals years ago. Superchips as a company has gone through some major changes since then though, so I don't know if that is still the case.

As everyone has said, tuner, gears, and tq converter will show the most noticeable gains in off the line power.

poweredbyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I too am coming from a tuned 15 powerstroke & i can't see any power to be had from a ram 1500 powertrain,just try not to bang your head to hard & save up for another diesel toy & just drive this thing.
As the only way i ever see my new sport being fast is if it gets a hellcat powertrain transplant,otherwise it just isn't worth trying to obtain the impossible.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
20" rims are also a ****** to break loose. It takes almost no moisture at all and they will break clean, but dry pavement with the stock Badyears and the torque management will hold you to a chirp at best.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I too am coming from a tuned 15 powerstroke & i can't see any power to be had from a ram 1500 powertrain,just try not to bang your head to hard & save up for another diesel toy & just drive this thing.
As the only way i ever see my new sport being fast is if it gets a hellcat powertrain transplant,otherwise it just isn't worth trying to obtain the impossible.

There are plenty of basic bolt on hemi trucks running anywhere from mid 12's to high 13's in the 1/4 mile. It doesn't take much to make these trucks quick. Of course you aren't going to gain 200hp/300tq from a tune like you would from a hot diesel tune, but its not hard to make these trucks run just as quick as the bolt on and tuned diesels.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I understand, by turning off traction control, it does not mean that the traction control is FULLY turned off, just like 70% or something...

OP
OP
S

Shambo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just want a little more from the truck. What I don't want is a Transmission eating truck! LOL Been there done that! I personally know the Superchips guys from my Diesel Racing days so I have loyalty, and I'm not in the racing circuit anymore!

The opinions You all have given is excellent and have verified my thoughts. I appreciate it Guys! So I will now see what happens with my new toy!

OP
OP
S

Shambo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought the Programmer from Ya! and The Limited Slip I bought a couple of months back is doing well!

Mo's Performance is awesome!