Experience with Seafoam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know Seafoam has been around a long time.
Has anyone used it in our trucks, if so, how? (gas tank or intake)
I have two bottles of seafoam to run through the truck but I want to get opinions from others that have used the product?
I once heard that if you put it in the intake only do half a bottle and do a spark plug change after driving ~200 miles post treatment. Is this accurate?
I have 100K plugs in the truck and dont want to hinder on the longevity of them by putting seafoam in the intake. Half bottle? Full bottle?
What are others takes on using this product?

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used it on mine. Half bottle in tank, half bottle in a vacuum hose. No issues here and I did not change the spark plugs after. I have 100k plugs as well.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The shop I use to work at always put half a can in the fuel tank and the other half in the oil. Then they would start the vehicle and let it warm up to temperature, shut it off, and drain the oil to do an oil change.

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Spray can through the intake per directions, one can in the tank, clean or replace the TB with a ported TB, add or clean a catch can add or clean a vararam, and your clean and will stay that way.

I changed my plugs 10 k later at 60k just cause I decided it was time. I bought the truck with 47k on it and do most maintance early and carefully as I don't know how the previous owner treated the truck.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Even gas by itself can foul plugs if you aren't getting enough air. What you want is a detergent in there to clean away residue. I purposely foul plugs in all my two stroke stuff, because fouling plugs is better then burning a piston. So I always run my equipment to smoke just a bit, run that oil mix 10 points more then they recommend. You are basically adding "more gas" to the air system when you do a seafoam treat. So yeah, just as if you increased the gas mixture, it is possible to foul plugs. But, the plug can still be good, doesn't mean it's a death nail for the plug once you get the cylinder back to proper air mix. Like I said, what you need is something to clean the plug at that point, IE detergent.

I recently came across a sea foam post. I think the guy is combining the term solvent and detergent, because detergents aren't oil products. And I guess it is possible for a detergent to not be a chemical, but I wouldn't know the benefit of running a non chemical detergent. Chemicals are stuff that can't be broke apart or separated. Simple chemicals are pure water and salt, detergents used fuel cleaners are metal salts like calcium or magnesium, and are extremely good at what they do. They have fancier detergents used in other fuel cleaners, but at their core you will likely see a simple metal salt. So either sea foam isn't "a 100% blended petroleum product," or it isn't a chemical cleaner. You can't have both, if it is 100% petroleum, then it is what I think it is and it's a pure solvent. If it has detergent, then it is better then I thought, but if sea foam doesn't clarify, I would assume it is only a solvent. Very important the distinction, because if it is a solvent only, there is really only two possible ways to benefit from using it, in the intake or the crank case as a flush. not in the gas tank.

So basically it is a risk, this is why I prefer using a "detergent" PEA cleaner in every tank as opposed to seafoam. It is a much slower steady way to clean the combustion chamber and injectors. You can manually clean your intake, you can even use misted water in place of sea foam if the engine is hot and you bring up the rpm's. Like I said, water is a chemical and when it steams, can clean very well.

I think the sea foam is a low risk product, and I think pea cleaners are even lower risk.

Sea Foam Motor Treatment is a Blended Petroleum Product, NOT A CHEMICAL and is widely used as an old oil residue reducer and moisture drier in any oil crankcase.

Sea Foam Motor Treatment is most commonly used as a pre service, old oil residue re-liquefier / cleaner / diagnostic tool, and moisture drier, and is also used as an after service additive. Sea Foam Motor Treatment does NOT add significantly to oil volume, so removing oil is NOT required for use, when used according to printed directions on the product container.

1. As a PRE SERVICE CLEANER for old oil residue, (sticky rings or valve train noise, diagnostics), pour 1 ½ ounces of Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the engine oil crankcase for EACH quart of crankcase oil capacity including filter. (Diesels use 1 pint Sea Foam to 4 gallons of oil, please.) Drive a MINIMUM of 30 minutes/miles, MAXIMUM 200 miles, (Diesels 1 hour drive/run time MINIMUM) and then do your oil change service (LOF). This is the process of safely/slowly re liquefying the old oil residue so contaminants may flow and be filtered. This also makes your old oil dirtier, quickly, so a LOF service is necessary when the oil gets dirty. Great for Turbo & Supercharged applications where hot oils deteriorate so quickly due to heat, those residues NEED CLEANING. (LOF = Lube oil & Filter service = OIL CHANGE).

2. As an AFTER SERVICE ADDITIVE into fresh oil, nearly fresh oil, or oil (used condition) that is NOT ready to be changed (by mileage), put 1 ½ ounces Sea Foam Motor Treatment into the crankcase per quart of capacity as described above, then SELF SET a program to MONITOR your oil for proper level, color and clarity on a mileage, timed, or event basis (like every time you add fuel, etc.) to determine when an oil service is necessary. (LOF) When the oil gets dirty, CHANGE IT!

Sea Foam Motor Treatment will safely and slowly re liquefy old oil residue, This will usually make your oil need changing BEFORE your normal scheduled LOF service. Only your monitoring of the oil for color and clarity can tell when it is time to do LOF (oil change service), or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Synthetic oils, both blends and 100%, were engineered and are manufactured to be 100% compatible with petroleum based oils, all brands, and vice/versa. Without compatibility, oil manufacturers and engineers would be liable for the results of mixing non-compatible lubricants.

Check your oil; monitor its level, color & clarity to determine the need for an LOF service! Change your oil when it gets dirty!

Technical Services Department July 2008 DD

Sea Foam Uses in Fuels

Sea Foam Motor Treatment #’s SF-16 (16 ounce), SF-128 (gallon container) and
SF-55 (a 55 gallon drum) is registered with the EPA as a fuel additive for use in all Gasoline, all Ethanol fuels, Gas/oil mixes & ALL Diesel fuels. Including all brands and qualities of available fuels.

When added to these fuels, Sea Foam Motor Treatment was specifically designed to Safely do five (5) simple, yet important, tasks for you, SIMPLY. They are:
1. Sea Foam Motor Treatment is a 100% blended petroleum product. That means Sea Foam is OIL, so adding Sea Foam to ANY fuel, adds lubricity for Fuel systems, Induction systems (Including Drawn through Supercharged applications), upper cylinders, fuel pumps, and related fuel system & exhaust (Turbocharged) components. Ethanol fuels need LUBRICITY, Sea Foam supplies that Lubricity! All common available fuels lack “Protecting” lubrication.

Advantage: “Sea Foam”.

2. Sea Foam Motor Treatment contains an engineered oil that dries fuel moisture. Moisture breaks down into its basic components of hydrogen and oxygen when Sea Foam Motor Treatment is added to any of the above listed fuels. This allows Sea Foam Motor Treatment to help eliminate problems caused by moisture, like diesel fuel gelling and Ethanol “Phase Separation”. Ethanol absorbs moisture, Sea Foam dries it! Advantage: “Sea Foam”.

Sea Foam Motor Treatment contains an oil based high detergent fuel residue cleaner. Using Sea Foam Motor Treatment in your fuel system makes that old fuel residue safely back into liquid. Old fuel residues become a “non issue”, allowing contaminants to be filtered, as engineered by the system manufacturer.
Advantage: “Sea Foam”.

Sea Foam Motor Treatments exclusive formula is blended specifically to clean carbon out of the engine as the engine is run. This is accomplished by our cleaning oil formula eliminating old sticky oil residue that holds carbon and allows that carbon dust to flow out of the engine dust particle by dust particle. Advantage: “Sea Foam”.
5. Sea Foam Motor Treatment adds volatility to fuel and slows down the rate at which that fuel looses its ability to properly burn. When added to fuel and the fuel is in properly sealed containers or fuel systems, per printed container instructions, Sea Foam Motor Treatment is a fuel stabilizer for up to 2 years. Always run the engine for a long enough period of time to assure the entire system is protected. Advantage: “Sea Foam”.

Technical Services Department
Sea Foam Sales Company

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I add at least one oz of seafoam for every gallon of gas in the tank, so I use two bottles for my Ram. I do this at every oil change. The instructions on the can says you can use it 50/50 with gas. I do this with my lawnmowers at the beginning of every year.

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd go with the OEM Mopar engine cleaner before wasting money on Seafoam. I could tell the Mopar cleaner worked a lot better than three cans of seafoam. Just my .02.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Silver: How could you Actually tell the Mopar cleaner worked (Better)?
Did you use a bore scope?
Did you Actually get to visualize the combustion chamber & see the cleaning that took place?

Last edited: